It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
(male)

WoeIsMyAnkle HB User
Just Diagnosed With OCD of Talus

I just joined this board for moral and emotional support after researching my condition. A quick synopsis of my history:

- Severely sprained my ankle walking down flight of stairs on school campus in May 2012.
- Went to ER for X-rays two days later with diagnosis of grade 2 sprain. ER doc reported no fracture.
- NWB for a couple of weeks and then started to bear more weight gradually. Over a period of 3 months, condition had appeared to be improving slowly over time- but could still not do any kind of strenuous activity or long periods of walking without ankle pain.
- Then one day the pain got significantly worse and occurred more frequent, perhaps from trying to increase my routine activity.
- Visited OS today, and X-rays revealed OSD of the talus, and I was informed I would need arthroscopic debridement surgery. I'll need to schedule a MRI before a revisit with the OS to discuss the treatment in more detail. Looking at my ER X-rays from four months ago, he said that the fracture was also present in my initial X-rays, and that he would have recommended surgery if he had first seen the film four months ago.

Looking at the film myself, I'm shocked that both the radiologist and ER doc missed diagnosing the fracture when I visited the ER. I'm also fearful that I may have irreparably damaged the cartilage and bone tissue while trying to use my ankle normally over the past several months. I'm frustrated and angry at the doctors who misdiagnosed my injury. I'm depressed at the prospect that my ankle will never be the same again, and I won't be able to play tennis the way I used to again.

Any words of advice would be appreciated as I start my long road to recovery. Thank you.

The following user gives a hug of support to WoeIsMyAnkle:
Iloverockmusic (09-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-07-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User
Re: Just Diagnosed With OCD of Talus

Ouch!!!! It's a shame that you couldn't get a referral to an orthopedic surgeon initially.
How old are you? You sound like you are a big tennis player.
Let me preface this by saying that not all talar fractures are the same.
If you do much research into fractures of the talus, you will see that sometimes it is difficult to see minor fractures or chip fractures. Unfortunately, it isn't until a few weeks or months later when the swelling goes down, you begin to put weight on it, and you begin having residual complications that they take another x-ray...that is when they find out that you indeed had a minor fracture. Sometimes the swelling does make it more difficult for an accurate diagnosis to be rendered. But, they should have referred you to an orthopedist after the swelling had gone down.
Sorry to hear that you have gone so long with your medical condition misdiagnosed!!!! So, I hope that you don't have any soft tissue damage from being on it.
Talar fractures are known for being highly complicated to treat. They are truly a "bird of a different feather." They sometimes don't heal nicely. They are prone to developing arthritis and avascular necrosis (AVN). In severe cases, they can collapse. Doubt if you will develop AVN or if it will collapse since it appears that it may only be a minor fracture or chip fracture!!!!
I know a tiny bit about talar fractures and my experience with a rad tech is quite similar to yours. In 2000, I had a terrible car accident. Hit some trees head on and in the side, while trying to swat at a wasp that had gotten in my car. My car ran over one of the roots, the roots pushed the floorboard even with the dashboard, and the trees in front of the car pushed the floorboard closer to my body. My foot NEVER hurt until they took my shoe off to assess my injury!!!! When the shoe was removed, the pain was off the charts!!!!
Once I was able to look at my foot, the first thing that I noticed was that my foot was grossly deformed, horribly bruised, swollen, and my toes were curled under-and they couldn't be straightened. When the rad tech took the x-rays, she looked at them and reported that she couldn't see any fractures. Even though everyone that looked at it could tell that it was.
The first thing the ER doctor told me was that I really messed up my foot and would have to be taken to the OR as soon as the orthopedic surgeon got to the hospital as he was "on call" for the night. The orthopedist told me that there was not any blood supply getting to it, that I had a 70% chance that it would collapse, and that my talus was fractured and dislocated, the body of the talus had dislocated posteriorly, and locked into the heel.
Yet, after this horrible prognosis and diagnosis, the rad tech still swore that no bones were broken.
Turning corners on a dime is difficult, running and jumping are impossible, walking on uneven surfaces is difficult, walking on sand, gravel, pebbles, and rocks is laborious. But, once again, not all talar fractures the same. Just getting you prepared. Talar fractures, especially severe ones or those that are complicated with dislocation, have a much worse prognosis. They are usually disabling injuries and result in a life-altering experience.
I would suggest that you do some research and write down any questions that you may have for the doctor. Remember, not all talar fractures are the same nor do they all have the same prognosis

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2012 at 08:17 PM.

Old 09-08-2012, 06:20 AM   #3
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User

I had arthroscopic debridement for a chip fracture of the Talus. On July 11th I was walking by the river while on vacation at my my in-laws home and I stepped in a ground hog hole. I chipped my Talus and severely sprained my ankle. The orthopedist in Virginia looked at my X-rays and immediately recommended surgery. We made an appointment with an OS in Tampa for the following Monday Finally ended up with the foot and ankle surgeon.

My surgery was on July 25. I was non weight bearing for four weeks. Partial with crutches and a boot for two and I'm now in my first week of FWB with a brace and a cane.

This board has been really helpful. Good luck and I hope that you can find some relief.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:29 PM   #4
(female)

Iloverockmusic HB UserIloverockmusic HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlrgrills View Post
I had arthroscopic debridement for a chip fracture of the Talus. On July 11th I was walking by the river while on vacation at my my in-laws home and I stepped in a ground hog hole. I chipped my Talus and severely sprained my ankle. The orthopedist in Virginia looked at my X-rays and immediately recommended surgery. We made an appointment with an OS in Tampa for the following Monday Finally ended up with the foot and ankle surgeon.

My surgery was on July 25. I was non weight bearing for four weeks. Partial with crutches and a boot for two and I'm now in my first week of FWB with a brace and a cane.

This board has been really helpful. Good luck and I hope that you can find some relief.
How's it going for you? The only advice that I would give you is not to rush things. Even though you are full weight bearing, always keep in mind that you are recovering from surgery. Also, follow your doctor's orders even if you think you know better!!! Hope things continue to go well for you and soon you will be back to walking by the river!! Good luck and best wishes.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:15 AM   #5
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User

Thanks, I'm doing great and taking it really slowly!!!

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
(male)

WoeIsMyAnkle HB User

Thanks for the words of encouragement and advice! I had my MRI this Saturday and had a follow-up with the O.S. today.

So, surprisingly, my doctor says the chipped bone appears to be still attached (he can still see a defined outline of the talus where the OCD is in the MRI), and there's a possibility that if the bone appears to be still alive when he scopes it that he could salvage it by pinning it to the talus. It would require him to cut my tibia to access it (sounds very painful). However, there's also the chance that he would not be able to save the bone and he would have to perform the debridement and drilling. He says the fragment is 8mm in size... looking at the MRI my crater appears to be about 12mm and the OCD is located on the medial side, so I'm skeptical that the drilling would work.

What I learned today gave me some hope about the future about my talus, but it creates more angst in me because if they had properly diagnosed it 4 months ago, the outcome of doing surgery would probably have been much better.

Last edited by WoeIsMyAnkle; 09-13-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Old 09-13-2012, 04:58 AM   #7
(male)

WoeIsMyAnkle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlrgrills View Post

Tlrgrills, good to hear that you are well on your way to recovery- Thanks for sharing your experiences. Where on the talus did the OCD occur?

Last edited by WoeIsMyAnkle; 09-13-2012 at 05:11 AM.

Old 09-13-2012, 05:10 AM   #8
(male)

WoeIsMyAnkle HB User

Oh my goodness, your accident sounds like it was quite a doozy! Thanks for sharing about your own radiologist issues. How far along are you in your recovery from the surgery? Did you have more than one?

By the way, I just turned 38, which appears to be quite around the age where a lot people sustain this type of injury. Funny how our bodies start to break down around this mark huh? I love to play tennis, but am by no means a tennis freak. I'd be grateful just to be still able to teach and play tennis with my kids when they get older. :-)

Last edited by Administrator; 09-16-2012 at 08:16 PM.

Closed Thread