It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012, 12:32 PM   #1
(female)

Funky Feet HB User
Unhappy Funky Feet

It was recently suggested that I undergo yet another (my 3rd) bunionectomy complete with screws and plates, when all I really wanted was the pins in both feet from a prior surgury removed because the were sticking up and painful. I was also diagnosed with a dislocated and hammered second toe. The doctor has refused to correct the dislocated and hammertoe unless I also agree to the complete bunionectomy proceedure that he recommends. I refused the complete proceedure and as a result will only have the pins in both feet removed when I go into surgury this coming Tuesday 9/11/12.

I just can't bring myself to go through with everything he suggests as I know from past experience how painfull this proceedure is and that it really never seems to last anyway. So what is the point?! I'd rather just get any hardware OUT now and not have anything else done. I'm a crazy? I would just rather try to deal with the existing dislocated and hammered toe myself.

Has anyone out there ever dealt with a similar situation?

Thanks, Funk Feet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-08-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Funky Feet

I do not have any screws in my feet, but, at one time had terrible bunions and hammer toes. Years ago, I had those corrected by an orthopedic surgeon. Within the last year and a half a hammer toe was forming and another bunion, but I was lucky enough to find a physical therapist who has done away with the hammer toes and the bunion. People have bunions and hammer toes because the muscles in the feet and legs are weak; one is not born with them. This therapist has strengthened the muscles in my legs and feet and it has made all the difference in the world. I now have an arch, something I had not had for years and my hammertoe and bunion are hardly there. My advice is to stay clear of surgery unless it is a must. If I had known years ago what I have recently learned, I never would have let the otho man touch me. Orthotics are also TERRIBLE for your feet because they weaken the muscles, including the plantar facia. Once that is out of whack, it will throw your legs and hips off by making them weaker.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-09-2012, 07:35 PM   #3
(female)

Funky Feet HB User

Thank you for the insite DanaBarb! What kind of Physical Therapist do you go to. Maybe I can find someone like that here in Buffalo. I am currently seeing at PT guy for a sciatica problem that I have, but I never thought of him for "feet". Thanks for your support in my decision to not go for the complete surgery...means alot.

Last edited by Funky Feet; 09-09-2012 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling error

Old 09-09-2012, 09:39 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Feet View Post
Thank you for the insite DanaBarb! What kind of Physical Therapist do you go to. Maybe I can find someone like that here in Buffalo. I am currently seeing at PT guy for a sciatica problem that I have, but I never thought of him for "feet". Thanks for your support in my decision to not go for the complete surgery...means alot.
the one I go to majored in Body Mechanics at college, and, if you can believe it, I found him at the gym I go to. I had been to other physical therapists, but this man does a lot more than what any one of them did. He turns my foot, loosens the ligaments and does all sorts of stuff. When I first went to him, my toes were very stiff, but now they have a lot of flexibility because he got into that part of the foot and loosened things up. My plantar problem 99% cause of all my problems and I am still working to get it even looser. I don't know if I told you this, but I used to be very, very athletic, lived on the tennis courts and could not sit still because my legs were so strong. However, my feet have not been the best over the years and it runs in the family-the weakness for bad feet. So, when the toes and bunions got so bad, I was told that if I did not have them taken care of, the toes would cross and I have seen that my brother has this. However, the toes never would have crossed if the planar facia and muscles had been made stronger. My ankles were always weak as well. As you can see the plantar facia controls a GREAT deal of your hips and legs and if that is weak, one has all sorts of problems. I can ask this guy if he knows of any one in your area if you wish, but I highly doubt that he will. However, don't throw the sponge in because I am sure there are exercised you can do to make the plantar facia more elastic. I think I may know of a website that may help you, but let me get back to you on this. Good luck and stay clear of surgery!

Old 09-09-2012, 09:50 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Go look up SocDoc on the internet and go to the right side. He has several articles. Go to the last one and I think it says More under that. Keep reading and he will give you all sorts of insight. Maybe he knows of someone in your area, but, even if he doesn't, he is telling you some important things about feet.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

I would stay clear of any surgeon or doctor who has an attitude that I pick up your man has. I would stay clear of any foot surgeon as you know, even if he is the nicest guy in the world.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:11 AM   #7
(female)

Funky Feet HB User

Thanks so much DanaBarb!

Yet please ask your PT guy for a referal in Buffalo. (I know that you guys in CA are way ahead of the rest of us, but one can hope)

Let me know if you find that web site as I am very interested and know how helpful PT has been for my sciatica issues.

Thanks again for your support!

Old 09-10-2012, 09:23 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I think I wrote that website last night, but will gladly do it, again. Look under doc.doc and then go to the right and scroll down under the last heading and click.

I will e-mail the owner of the place I go to right now and let you know if he knows anyone in your area. Even if he does not, there are exercises you can do to help you. Oh, if your feet are flat, and I am assuming that they are because many times that happens, go walk on the beach, if you have one near by. That will raise the arch and loosen those tendons in your feet and will also make the muscles in your legs much stronger.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have a niece who is very heavy into yoga and I have just written her and asked her if yoga will be of some help. It may because it makes you looser than a goose and that just may loosen up those muscles. I will let you know what she has to say, but, under no condition would I let that man cut me. He sounds like a very harsh man in his attitude and no one needs a doctor like that, but that is my thought. Believe me, I could write a book on doctors and and if I did, it would be a best seller. Most of them are in it for the money, ESPECIALLY podiatrists. They love to cut and fit people to this and that and all it does is hit the patient's bank account. I had one fit me to orthotics, right here in southern California and it caused a golf ball on the bottom of my foot. When I went back to tell him I thought it needed to be adjusted, he took some goofy piece of wood and glued it to the one orthotic and he charged me an arm and leg. He is very well respected by many, but I am not one of them.

Old 09-10-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

My niece just wrote that yoga will DEFINITELY help, so if you have a place nearby, and can go, you may want to give it the college try. Now, I am not too certain that it will do what the man I have been going to has done to the extent he has, but loosening up those muscles and tissues will really help you.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funky Feet View Post
Thanks so much DanaBarb!

Yet please ask your PT guy for a referal in Buffalo. (I know that you guys in CA are way ahead of the rest of us, but one can hope)

Let me know if you find that web site as I am very interested and know how helpful PT has been for my sciatica issues.

Thanks again for your support!
I wrote the owner of the place I go to and asked him if he knows of anyone in your area and he does not. He is from Syracuse, I think he said. However, he said you should look for someone who has a degree in science/kinesiology and a certificate from NASM and ACSM and the person should have two years experience. Good luck and please let me know how you make out.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:17 PM   #12
(female)

Funky Feet HB User

Thanks DanaBarb! I will let you know how I make out with these Funky Feet

Old 09-10-2012, 07:19 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Please do. If you don't mind me asking, are you going to have your surgery?

Old 09-12-2012, 10:46 AM   #14
(female)

Funky Feet HB User

Hi DanaBarb, I went in for surgery yesterday only to have the pins left in from a prior bilateral bunionectomy done 20 years ago. Right up until I recieved some anesthesia they were trying to talk me into another bunionectomy...I said NO THANKS!

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Thanks again!

Old 09-12-2012, 11:20 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for letting me know and please keep me posted.

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to danabarb For This Useful Post:
Funky Feet (09-12-2012)
Closed Thread