It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 01:30 PM   #1
(female)

Hannah0225 HB User
Exercise After a Modified Brostrom

I had a Modified Brostrom done in May and my doctor told me that he had to reconstruct all ligaments and tendons on that side of my foot. He also told me that because my ATFL was damaged and had to be reconstructed it was similar to the ACL in the knee and that I takes about 9 months to be able to run after having surgery on the ACL. I am trying to lose weight and he told me that he wouldn't recommend me running or doing lunges or any jumping for at least 6 months. I am at a loss as to what I should do to exercise. It has only been almost 4 months. I don't knonw if I should try to run or if I should just wait until the 6 months is up. My question is what has anyone that has had this procedure done to exercise? And also has anyone else been told that by their doctor? Thanks for any help or advice!

P.S.: I don't see him again until 6 months post op.

Old 09-11-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Exercise After a Modified Brostrom

Do not run yet. That puts a lot of strain on the ligaments, and if you fell or tripped before the ligaments are completely healed, you could tear the repair. However, a bike (especially stationary bike) or elliptical trainer should be reasonably safe. Call his office and ask, just to be sure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 01:58 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Exercise After a Modified Brostrom

I agree. I had this done back in Feb and I didn't do any running until very recently as in the past couple of weeks when I hit 6 months. It was painful slightly but I will get there soon as will you. I understand wanting to lose weight, I'm trying to do the same thing. Don't push it though. I did that after my first ankle surgery because my doc (a general OS, not a foot/ankle OS) said I could. Big mistake. I had a 2nd operation. Take it easy. Ride the bike, elliptical, swim, walk, etc if your doctor is ok with any/all of that. I wouldn't run yet.

Closed Thread

Tags
exercise, modified brostrom repair