It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 01:52 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Is a knee walker helpful after ankle arthrascopy?

I'm having arthrascopic ankle surgery for osseous equinus next week and want to hear your opinions on whether I should get a knee walker, or if they are mostly helpful for people having more extensive surgeries. I was told I'd be wearing a boot for 2-4 weeks but really don't know what to expect for the recovery other than that.

Old 09-12-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User
Re: Is a knee walker helpful after ankle arthrascopy?

They are AWESOME for ankle surgeries!!! They weren't out yet when I had my first surgery so I didn't have it then, but I got one for my 2nd surgery back in Feb. Oh my, it rocks! The big question for you is how long does the doctor want you NWB? If it is only for a few days to a week, then it probably isn't worth the rental fee or buying one. If you will be NWB for 4 weeks in the boot, then order one ASAP! Let me know if you decide to order one and if you want recommendations!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 03:51 AM   #3
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User

I had an ankle arthroscopy. The knee scooter was a life saver!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

On a tangent I found a walker a lot mroe stable, and freed up a hand, compared to crutches. Though my house is on one story.

I also used a wheel chair around the house, but both sides were bad for me. Took the doors off.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

I have no idea if I'll be NWB or not - all I know is he told me I'll be in a boot for 2-4 weeks lol! I've used crutches before so I know what to expect going that route, and I became very talented at moving things in pockets and bags during that time. I'm just wondering if it would make sense for me to get a knee walker or not, or if I could just use crutches for a few weeks if I'm having trouble walking or told to be NWB.

Another question - is it difficult to walk longer distances like grocery shopping after getting out of the boot? If so, for how long does this usually last? If a knee walker would be helpful for me for this purpose after the first month from surgery then it might be worth my while to buy one. Does using a knee walker cause less pain/swelling in the ankle than using crutches? With the spine surgeries I've had I have a terrible time sitting, so using the electric carts in the stores is out of the question for me.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

The knee walker is easier to get around on than crutches, and your foot isn't hanging down quite so low, so it doesn't swell quite as much.

Do not get the Invacare brand, however. It's unstable and unsafe. I rented one before my surgery, but it dumped me on my fanny the first time I tried it, just a few feet from the store! Turned right back around and returned it. Rolleraid and Turning Leg Caddy are better.

The Following User Says Thank You to janewhite1 For This Useful Post:
twohands (09-12-2012)
Old 09-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

There's no doubt that the knee walker is easier on the body than crutches. If you are really good on crutches and like to be pretty active with them, you might prefer the crutches. I had a knee walker and I LOVED it for the times I used it which was primarily in my house. Yes, I know this sounds crazy, but it is heavy and I couldn't get it down the stairs into my car and then out of my car at the stores, etc by myself. Crutches were better. However, it helped me a ton in the house because I had a drink holder and a basket and I could transport food, drinks, gel packs to and from the kitchen or my computer, iPad/iPhone/iPod, kindle, etc from couch to bed every day, even my little dog could ride in it. So for me, the biggest help was at home whereas it's outside the house for most people. Again, you really need to see how long you will be NWB because if you aren't going to be NWB at all or just a couple days, it's really not worth the money because they are somewhat expensive (especially for someone who admits to being good on crutches)...... Unless you know someone you could borrow one from. As JANE said, be careful which one you get. I've also heard to stay away from Invacare. The one that came highly recommended to me and did well on my research was the Drive Medical 790. It's steerable and has a notch on the very well padded knee pad for your cast or boot to rest in so it doesn't jam into your leg. You can also get a basket and cupholder for it (separately). I got mine off a popular website that carries everything in the world, but you can google it.

Old 09-13-2012, 12:20 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Also once you come out of the boot, you won't need or want to be using a knee walker. You will be weight bearing then, full weight bearing so a walker at that point would be a huge step backwards. Just talk to your doctor first before doing anything to find out his weight bearing plans for you.

Old 09-13-2012, 03:54 AM   #9
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User

I did not go crockery shopping for a full 4 weeks after my arthroscopy. Even with the knee scooter it just wore me out.

Once I started PWB I went grocery shopping. I think you have to play it by ear and see what works for you. I'm FWB now and yesterday I went to BJ's for the first time and it completely exhausted me. BUT, I can handle going to public now and still have energy when I'm done.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thanks for all your great responses!

I think I'll wait until after my surgery to find out if I will be NWB or not and for how long as it should only take a few days for a knee walker to arrive if I order it. My doctor mentioned he's a bit concerned about what he'll find inside my ankle joint, so I think my post surgical care will depend heavily on that.

I'm not able to get my foot to dorsiflex to 90 degrees right now, so when I walk I either have to hyperextend my knee or toe walk on an already very sore area on the ball of my foot. I'm really looking forward to being able to walk more normally after recovering.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I had a significant ankle surgery back in April and the knee walker was a life saver and still is as I have had some set backs and am NWB again. It definitely helps in stores. If you're only going to be off 2-4 weeks you may look into just renting one. I knew I would be using mine for months so I bought one off of ebay. It does help a little bit with pain and swelling as your foot is not hanging down for blood to flow down all the time. I hope this helps!

Old 09-14-2012, 03:05 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User

Sounds like a reasonable plan. If it's just a simple scope, without too much work done inside, you should be walking in days to a couple weeks. I was walking quite well with boot and cane just 2 weeks after mine.

If he does find more problems, you might be NWB for a good while, and then the knee walker would probably be worth it.

Closed Thread