It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012, 02:16 PM   #1
(female)

elear11 HB User
Fracture Blister Treatment

I fractured my calcaneus two days ago, falling about 15 ft. on to a flight of concrete stairs. There was a lot of swelling & bruising minutes after my injury. The doctors told me it was just a minor fracture in ny heel & I do not need surgery. Today I noticed I have large, clear-filled blisters around the bottom of my ankle area. I do have a splint/cast made of fiberglass & bandages, so I'm able to remove it but was advised not to. I loss ended it some because it felt very tight & was able to spot one blister but I imagine they are more extensive than I can see without completely removing the cast. Are the blisters something serious? What causes fracture blisters? Should I do anything to treat them? Or just keep them wrapped up and left alone? Any information will help.

Thanks

Last edited by elear11; 09-11-2012 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Error

Old 09-11-2012, 07:35 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

janewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB Userjanewhite1 HB User
Re: Fracture Blister Treatment

For now, your foot is wrapped and covered. I would leave the blisters alone, since covering them and leaving them alone is the best way to prevent infection.

Keep your foot elevated as high as possible as much as possible. During the first couple weeks after the injury, you don't want to move around too much, even with crutches.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-14-2012, 09:26 PM   #3
(male)

grubbs112000 HB User

How are you now i just broke my right calcaneus on 10/6/12. I have reduced the swelling and have not taken any pain meds since 10/8/12 but i do have fracture blisters and one of them burst in the walker boot. My ops tells me crutches with the boot 2 months and then the boot another 2 months. I am really concerned about the blister that burst.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:12 AM   #4
(female)

elear11 HB User

Hey there, sorry to hear about your accident. I know how crappy that situation can be. I am doing worlds better now, luckily. The blisters can be really freaky to discover, especially when you are not aware that blisters can form due to fractures. I would be a little more concerned about the one that you said popped. I only had one blister that formed and I made sure that it remained intact to prevent any chance of infection. From what I have read, the risk of infection is what you really need to worry about with fracture blisters. I would talk with your doctor about the best way to treat the popped blister, especially if you are wearing a boot over it. Also, I know that blisters can differ in severity. I only had one large, clear filled blister but from what I understand the blisters can be blood filled and indicate a more severe injury. How do your blisters look? Also, make sure you keep your foot really elevated for like 23 hours a day. Swelling can really put pressure on the blisters and make it much worse. It took about 16 days for my blister to fully heal, but the case my be different for your blister that has popped.

Closed Thread