HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Surgery over (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/918341-surgery-over.html)

loki2012 09-13-2012 11:55 PM

Surgery over

Surgery went good. I get my cast next week. They injected a nerve block in my ankle so it's all numb n I can't wiggle my toes lol. Anyone else have a nerve block?

Hollywood48 09-14-2012 12:00 AM

Re: Surgery over

Yay! Glad its over! Welcome to the "other side)! I didn't have a block with either of my 2 surgeries (first one doctor didn't do them and 2nd one was by choice). Keep it elevated and iced!!

loki2012 09-14-2012 12:54 AM

I opted for it so it'd help with pain lol. I hope the pain isn't to bad lol

Hollywood48 09-14-2012 01:14 AM

Oh I know! For a lot of people it works really well! I have several reasons I didn't want it, but that is neither here nor there now! LOL! I can say one of them is because I can't stand the dead feeling and not being able to wiggle my toes! LOL! I'm one of those people that has to always be able to move my toes, know what I mean? I know, strange!!

Tlrgrills 09-14-2012 07:54 AM

I had a nerve block. At first I didn't understand why I needed it. But now I'm glad that I had it. I did think that the numbness was really strange.

prico54 09-14-2012 08:48 AM

[QUOTE=loki2012;5055627]Surgery went good. I get my cast next week. They injected a nerve block in my ankle so it's all numb n I can't wiggle my toes lol. Anyone else have a nerve block?[/QUOTE]

I did have the nerve block from the knee down. I swear it took three days or more before my toes started to feel somewhat normal. Did the just numb the ankle? How did that go? The gave me heavy duty meds in my iv and then they injected me in the groin and then behind the knee. They did yhis using an ultrasound machine so yhey could watch the position of the needle while they injected. I remember watching it on the monitor but for the life of me I dont remember any pain. I was soooo happy with the medicine it was the best. It was the stuff michael jackson used to sleep! Propanol (? Spelling). My anesthesiologist was amazing. I fell in love with him. What a doll!

luck25 09-14-2012 09:30 AM

I had one. What do u want to know? What kind of surgery did u have? It was numb for about two or three days then hurt like hell. So take your pain meds. I had a torn atfl and a ganglion cist. 6 weeks ago. Still hurts. Good luck.

Hollywood48 09-14-2012 11:28 PM

PRICO--Propofol is the med MJ used to "sleep " and the one your anesthesiologist put you to sleep with!

The hurt like hell and numbness were a couple of reasons I didn't have the nerve block, but not the biggest reasons.

prico54 09-15-2012 07:48 AM

[QUOTE=Hollywood48;5056184]PRICO--Propofol is the med MJ used to "sleep " and the one your anesthesiologist put you to sleep with!

The hurt like hell and numbness were a couple of reasons I didn't have the nerve block, but not the biggest reasons.[/QUOTE]

The funny thing was I didnt really go to sleep. They gave me just enough to make me feel high as a kite and unaware of the pain but it wore off in a few minutes and then they took me to the or. It definitly did the trick.

loki2012 09-15-2012 11:39 AM

I had brostrum repair with debridment. My whole foot was numb but I'm glad bc I'm in a lot of pain now. I take hydrocodone for pain. I didn't like not being able to move my toes lol plus it felt weird when the dogs licked my toes lmao.

suebob30 09-15-2012 12:41 PM

I had the nerve block too and glad I did. It gave me time to get the pain meds on board,so to speak, so I didn't have to much pain. I made sure I took the pain meds round the clock, even setting the alarm on my phone to get up at night to take them. I didn't like the feeling of not being able to move my toes either, but I was able to get through the first day without pain. That was a better trade off for me!

Good luck and speedy recovery!!

Hollywood48 09-15-2012 10:28 PM

SUEBOB--I did thr same thing! I set the alarm on my phone so I would take my pain meds every 4 hours which did thr trick for me thankfully!

loki2012 09-15-2012 11:15 PM

I've been in so much pain that I can't
Find a comfortable position for my ankle
So that makes it hard to sleep. How long
Did yalls pain last?? I'm on day 3 of
Post op and wishing I had another
Nerve block lol.

prico54 09-16-2012 11:20 AM

[QUOTE=loki2012;5056652]I've been in so much pain that I can't
Find a comfortable position for my ankle
So that makes it hard to sleep. How long
Did yalls pain last?? I'm on day 3 of
Post op and wishing I had another
Nerve block lol.[/QUOTE]

Are you taking your pain meds? I had good pain management thank God. Make sure you are taking your meds on time. If you cant even sleep maybe you need to try a different pain med. If it keeps up give your doc a call. Ok?

loki2012 09-16-2012 06:21 PM

[QUOTE=prico54;5056848]Are you taking your pain meds? I had good pain management thank God. Make sure you are taking your meds on time. If you cant even sleep maybe you need to try a different pain med. If it keeps up give your doc a call. Ok?[/QUOTE]

I take hydrocodone 7.5 for pain. It's a sharp burning pain. I'll talk to my doc about getting a stronger dose. My big toe still feels a little numb lol.