It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-14-2012, 04:25 PM   #1
(female)

mickosmom HB User
calcaneus fracture recovering?

i schatter my left heel on 6/30. i was riding my horse in a rodeo and she bucked me off, i had a spur on and it acted like a nut cracker and schattered my heel bone. i stayed in the hospital and had surgery on 7/3 got in one plate and two screws. had on a cast for fiur weeks then a walking boot. its not week 10 and i went to dr and xrays showed at all the fractures are heeled. i been doing my range of motion exercisws and almost got full range of motion back. dr said i can stay weihht bearing which is a good thing cuz i kinda already started that because my shoulder hurt more then my heel! i have bursitis in my left shoulder n using the crutches made it act up. had steriod shots and noy better so i knpw it wont get better till i get off these crutches. i have been using one crutch for the past 2 days and some time walk qith none. i have some pain but not alot. i do get a burning pain in my heel and alittle pain on the outside of my foot. i am wonder how my recovery compares to someone who has been though it? they told me it was a really bad injury and i may not walk for six month so i assume im ahead of the game? i guess its normal to have tlittle pain and burning when starting to walk on it. i no the old "no pain no gain" doesnt apply with this recovery and assume you shoild back off when in pain? but how much pain in normal? im not on any pain meds. get swelling at the end of the day. mostly on the outside of the ankle where my scare is. im 44yr old and have fell off alot of horses but this is my first broken bone

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-15-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: calcaneus fracture recovering?

About 6-18 months is what my doctor told me as well, and is what I've heard from some other people. You seem to be way ahead of the curve which lends itself to the "every injury is unique". You seem to be ahead of the game if you are already in a walking boot.

Listen to your body. If it hurts, take a step back on your activity level. If it feels okay, step it up. Same goes for your shoulder. It should tell you how much pain is too much. Pain is normal...if it takes your breath away, or you can't function, it's too much.

Have you thought about using a walker? Just for the time you need it. It keeps the pressure off the underside of your shoulder. Just a thought.

Hope that helps, and happy recovery!

Liz

Old 09-15-2012, 10:39 PM   #3
(female)

mickosmom HB User

Yeah i have a walker and it doesnt help, it not that the crutch applys pressure under my arm it is more from gripping with my forearm and using my muscles to carry my weight. I have tennis elbow also in that arm so i think its just from having to use it as much as i had to bear all that wieght. I messed up that arm from an old injury falling off a horse lol i did have an mri and all it showed was the bursitis. so now with only using one crutch i only use the right side and hoping to get my shoulder in better shape.

Old 09-16-2012, 06:39 AM   #4
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Oh wow, thats crazy. I'm sorry to hear that. They gave me a walker because I also hurt a vertabrae in my accident, so they said the walker would keep me more upright, so I thought it might apply to you. =/

Well, I wish you the best in your recovery. Have you looked into a knee scooter? They keep your foot up and you don't need to do much with your arms. I'm just brainstorming though, you sound like you know what you are doing.

All the best!

Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #5
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User

I broke my calcaneus on June 26, had surgery and six screws in the heel on July 11, and was then put into an air boot. I started physical therapy and 25% weight bearing in the boot the last week in August, and am up to 75% still in the boot and using a walker. Hope to be 100% weight bearing and walking without a walker within the next few weeks.

Went swimming last week and that seems like it will help with learning to walk again in the pool, my PT said when up to my shoulders in water, the weight is only about 20% on that foot.

I've only worn the boot when going out of the house, otherwise I just kept the foot in an ace bandage, and recently my doctor recommended a soccer sock for support. I think that has helped with range of motion since I was able to start doing gentle stretching, ankle rotation, and wiggling toes pretty early in recovery. My PT seems to be pleased with my progress so far. You sound like you are recovering pretty well considering the seriousness of this injury.

I have a knee walker (knee scooter) and it's great for getting around the house, with a basket on the front to carry things. I use a regular walker when walking with the boot.

I do get sharp pains occasionally in the foot, still a little numb, bruised and swollen in the heel, and the ankle is still quite tender. Especially after walking/PT. But I'm told that walking will help get the proper circulation back.

Good luck with your recovery!

Last edited by LisaLouLou; 09-17-2012 at 12:13 AM.

Old 09-17-2012, 05:18 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

How is your gait? I could limp around a few days after bearing weight, but I wasn't do it right. You need to focus on walking correctly. I liked a walker cause it was more stable. Used a can for a few months after that, even though I was able to walk with out it.

Best thing is to get to see a physical therapist, and get some exercises, and a profesional opinion.

I am not able to wear pull up boots anymore, cowboy type. To much feel makes me feel like I am walking down hill, and I need the ankle support of something lace up.

Old 09-17-2012, 06:03 AM   #7
(female)

mickosmom HB User

My dr said I didn't need to go to PT, I habe no swelling in my heel are but get some swelling in my ankle area. i am walking with the boot and no crutches most the time, and if I feel I need it I will use one crutch and use it on my right side since my left shoulder is so bad. I walk with one crutch in the house bare foot sometimes. I never has any numbness and pretty much got my range of motion back right away. I do get a cramp type pain at times in mt ankle area but it I move my foot it goes away. the heel is going way better then my shoulder! I have to start my own pt now on my shoulder, but just trying to give it sometime to recoop before I put it

Closed Thread