It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012, 03:57 AM   #1
(female)

SunniDay HB UserSunniDay HB User
Surgery was yesterday

I had my surgery yesterday afternoon. I thrilled with how I feel this morning. Of course, that's because the nerve block hasn't worn off yet

I had the nerve block and general anesthesia. Plus 3 of the shots to relax me. Because I had to report to the hospital at 10:30 a.m., and the surgery wasn't til 12:40, they gave me a relaxing drug when I got the IV, another when they did the nerve block, and another after they wheeled me into surgery. I was pretty relaxed by then, thank you very much!

Every single person who cared for me was awesome. My surgeon is so wonderful, and everyone I've talked to whose surgery he performed is very happy with the results. He had two surgeries before mine, and mine lasted for 3 1/2 hours. He was exhausted when he talked to my family after surgery, but they said he was patient, very thorough, and in a great mood. He was very happy with the outcome, and said I did great.

I did stop breathing during surgery, and they had to intubate me, but no apparent residual problems. My toes are a little swollen, but not much so far. Their color is good. I've been tightening and relaxing my thigh a lot, but can't wiggle my toes yet. I've been maneuvering quite well in the wheelchair. I had to get up a couple of times after I got home to use the bathroom. Other than asking some of the animals (I have 4, down from 5 - had to have one dog put to sleep last week), it's been a breeze getting around the house. I was nervous about the bathroom, because it's too small for the chair. But I'm keeping crutches next to the door, and they're working out great. I'm not supposed to use them, but for a couple of minutes for the bathroom, I don't think it should be a problem. I got the kind of aid that you put under the toilet seat, and has handles on either side. It's very easy to use those to get up from sitting. I was going to get a grab bar, but I'm glad I got this instead.

Three friends came over Saturday and helped my husband and son build the wheelchair ramp. It's awesome! It looks better than any home ramp I've ever seen. I wasn't thrilled with having a ramp on the back of my house, but it's really not bad. It has a turning platform in the middle, which will be a nice place to park my chair to sit outside when I feel like it. I can sit in my wheelchair on the porch, but it's all shady. The platform will be a nice place to enjoy some sunshine.

I know that the block will wear off soon, and I probably won't feel as great as I do now, so I'm enjoying the lack of pain and time to read and be online while I do it easily. I slept in my bed last night, and it was actually quite easy to get into and out of bed, and got to sleep quickly. When I'm not in bed, I'm in my recliner with the footrest up and my feet elevated on a wedge pillow. Also, the back down, so my foot will be higher than my heart. It's in a corner at an angle, so I can see the tv around my feet.

My surgeon was going to send me home with Percocet, but gave a prescription for Norco (Vicodin with Acetomenehine) instead. Not sure why. I hope it does the trick. I'm supposed to take 2 every 4 hours until I'm able to switch to my regular prescription arthritis medication. I'm not able to take any other inflammatory in addition to the arthritis med (Meloxicam), so won't be taking aspirin or ibuprofen. I can take acetaminophen if I need to. He also prescribed Valium to take every 8 hours.

The ride home was totally easy and comfortable, which I didn't expect (except for when my husband slammed on the brakes to avoid hitting a deer!). My husband wanted to use his Ford Freelander, which would be a little easier to get into. But I tried getting into/out of both that and my Toyota Highlander on Monday. My Highlander is definitely more comfortable. Not quite as easy to get into because it has running boards, and I'm only 5'4". But the back seat is roomier and more comfortable. The seat is definitely softer. Surgery was on my right foot, so I get in the passenger side and slide to the driver side with my right leg on the seat. I use a pillow against the driver side door to cushion my back. Comfortable as can be.

I plan on eating Raisin Bran for breakfast, Greek Yogurt for lunch (want the extra protein for healing) and a bran muffin each day for a snack. I hope that will be enough to ward off constipation from the pain meds. I'd like to do that with diet rather than a stool softener. We'll see.

So that's my story for today

Denise

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: SunniDay
alyssa77 (09-23-2012), prico54 (09-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2012, 04:37 AM   #2
(female)

Tlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB UserTlrgrills HB User
Re: Surgery was yesterday

I'm so glad your surgery went well

The Following User Says Thank You to Tlrgrills For This Useful Post:
SunniDay (09-19-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 12:36 PM   #3
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Denise, So glad you are doing so well so soon. Lucky you getting a ramp! I had to pretty much crawl to get outside but who cares. I only have three steps to go down and I am still practicing with the crutches. Take care and do whatever the dr says. I am glad you have that toilet contraption too that was one thing I hated having to drop onto the seat. I am much better at it now. Praying for you friend! Paula

Old 09-19-2012, 01:59 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Yay! So happy for you that it went well!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Glad to hear your surgery went well. If you don't mind my asking, what did you have done? I had ankle surgery back in April. I had a subtalar fusion, talonavicular fusion, and achilles lengthening. I have a two story house with my bedroom and bath/shower all being on the second floor. My boyfriend set up a bed in our dining room for me until I was able to go up the stairs easier. I had to go up the stairs on my butt for quite some time. The downstairs bathroom is like a closet under the stairs. Why someone would put one there I have no idea. haha I had to leave the door open to use that bathroom but it did have a grab bar to help me up and down. I fell twice. The first time was about two weeks after surgery. Stepped right down on my cast and actually broke the cast. *roll eyes* If you don't have one already, I would highly suggest a knee walker. It is a lifesaver when you're wanting to do things around the house and want to go out and about. I am having some set backs and possibly looking at another surgery thanks to a girl in her clinicals at physical therapy breaking my fusion. Best wishes to you for a speedy recovery!! It gets frustrating at times. Just keep your head high!

Old 09-19-2012, 08:22 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Well ignore my questions about your procedure and the knee walker comment. I just read a previous post of yours that explained. DUH ME! Happy Healing!!!

Old 09-20-2012, 04:05 AM   #7
(female)

Thanks for the good thoughts and prayers, friends!

The nerve block wore off yesterday afternoon. Wowzers! I had hear rumors about the pain. It was all that and more! I wanted to go to the ER so bad last night! The pain meds just weren't doing the trick, and I wanted something in an IV that would work NOW! My husband called my surgeon's office and they said I could an extra dose of Meloxicam, which I take for osteoarthritis. I was finally able to stop moaning and get about 2 hours of sleep. Also, my surgeon's colleague (whom we got the callback from) asked if my splint felt too tight, which it did. He told my husband to untape the splint and take out some of the gauze. That made me really nervous, but he did it. This morning it feels worse.

I can't wait to get the splint/bandages taken off, and the stitches out in a couple of weeks.

Thanks so much for all of the good wishes!
Denise

The following user gives a hug of support to SunniDay:
ginger62 (09-20-2012)
Old 09-20-2012, 06:01 AM   #8
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

So sorry you had such a rough time. I hope you are feeling a little better today. I must say I was in some moderate pain after the nerve block wore off but I did stay numb for a good 3 days no lie. I too have been on meds for spinal pain so before I had my surgery I was sent by my surgeon to pain management and they came up with a pain control plan for my surgeon to follow both in the hospital and at home. I am very grateful for the treatment and concern they gave me and my condition. If yhey had not done that I would hsve been out of contol in pain. Call your dr back and ask to change your meds I am sure he doeasnt want you to suffer! Hang in there kid!

Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Sorry to hear what you're going through. I have been there and totally understand. Only difference is I didn't have a nerve block so I got it all on the same day. Just be religious on keeping it elevated and iced. Amazing the difference that makes.

Old 09-21-2012, 03:03 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Hey Denise, just wondered how you are feeling today. Better, I hope!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:58 AM   #11
(female)

Let us know how you did last night I hope it was better than the night before. Hang in there!

The Following User Says Thank You to prico54 For This Useful Post:
SunniDay (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 03:07 AM   #12
(female)

It's early Sunday morning, and I feel great! I just had the one bad night after the block wore off, and have felt good ever since.

The Valium and Norco help so much, as does the ice and elevation. I've been taking the Norco (2 every 4 hours) and the Valium (1 every 8 hours) since I got home from the hospital. Today I'm going to start cutting back on both. My doctor doesn't do the ice machine. Rather, he recommends putting ice packs behind the knee so the cold will cool the blood as it flows down to the foot. It feels wonderful!

My bandages are so enormous. It looks like my foot is about 4 times its normal size. I'll be getting them off a week from tomorrow (along with stitches removed) a week from tomorrow, and getting the hard cast. I can't wait. This thing feels like it weighs 50 pounds!

My surgeon told me that I'd be cursing his name every day for the first month and every other day the second month. Seriously, other than Thursday, the pain has been very tolerable. I'd compare it to a mild headache. I know that PT will hurt when I'm able to start, but I'm so motivated to start and work hard. That will a pain worth looking forward to!

I was nervous about the wheelchair. I tried it before the surgery, and because I have severe arthritis, it was SO hard getting up while bearing all of my weight on the other foot and my wrists. Also nervous about using crutches to get from the chair into my bathroom. Turns out it's a breeze! In just these few days, my left leg and my arms haven't gotten very noticeably stronger. It's not hard at all to stand from the chair using my left leg, and was nearly impossible the day before surgery. I was born a total klutz, but the crutches have been very easy to use. I have to take care not to let my armpits rest on the crutches at all, due to risk of lymphedema. That hasn't been a problem at all! I've been sitting in a straight back chair a few times a day, and doing leg lifts with the bad leg. I can have my foot down (not elevated) for 10 minutes at a time, and I'm trying to use that time wisely. So when I get up to use the bathroom, I do some leg lifts. The splint and bandages are so heavy, it was really hard at first. Now it's SO easy! I do 20 leg lifts, and repeat several times. I do them slowly, and really feel them.

Also ~ to strengthen my arms, I've been having my son wheel me down to the platform section of the ramp and walk behind me while I wheel myself back up. I could only get halfway up at first, but now I can do the whole thing. Not easily yet. But I can do it.

I was nervous about gaining weight while being off my feet for 2-3 months. But that's working out wonderfully. I have a bran muffin and glass of milk for breakfast, a greek yogurt for lunch, and whatever my son fixes for dinner - only 1 serving of everything. He moved back in with us a couple weeks ago, and expects to be here for about a year. He's an awesome cook, and cooks quite a bit healthier than I do. My surgery was Tuesday, and now it's Sunday morning. In those few days, I can feel that I've gained strength in my arms and legs, my jeans have gotten baggy, and I'm not hungry except at meal times. It sounds pretty weird, but I believe I'm going to come out of this much healthier than I went in, and I'm not talking about my foot.

So that's my update. I'm very, very happy and can't wait to get this splint and bandages off and move on in my progress

Denise

Old 09-23-2012, 03:25 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Oh Denise, I'm so glad to hear you are doing well (and it helps ease my mind too!). Have you had a shower yet? I want to hear how that goes.

I found when I had my knee replaced a couple years ago that I lost quite a bit of weight too. There's not a lot of mindless snacking cuz you just can't get to it!

It's 5am and I'm off to do my last bit of shopping...leaving tomorrow for surgery Tues.

Again, so pleased for you. All the best!

The following user gives a hug of support to ginger62:
SunniDay (09-23-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
SunniDay (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 03:26 AM   #14
(female)

alyssa77 HB User

i'm glad everything went well for you during the surgery and glad your doing fine Wish you the best of luck

Last edited by alyssa77; 09-23-2012 at 03:27 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to alyssa77 For This Useful Post:
SunniDay (09-23-2012)
Old 09-23-2012, 04:15 AM   #15
(female)

Ginger, I have not showered yet. So far just making do with sponge baths at the sink. I have a shower sink, and can't wait to use it. Soon

Closed Thread