It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012, 12:51 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: wish me luck

Might be something you mention in your next appointment if you don't feel it is necessary to call them now. I hope you heal fast!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 12:52 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

That really, really stinks. So sorry!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #18
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

It will be ok. I cant even move it now but it isnt the worst thing that could happen. My next appt is oct 9 I am sure it will heal just fine. Thanks guys you are the best!

The following user gives a hug of support to prico54:
Ditsy1 (09-26-2012)
Old 09-27-2012, 07:49 AM   #19
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

So my toe feels better today. I dont think it is as bad as I initially thought. It is still swollen and sore but I can move it. I guess I will survive. I found some awesome yarn when I went shopping last week and I am going to order it and make a nice sweater. That will keep me occupied for awhile! Have a great day everyone!

Old 09-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #20
(female)

SunniDay HB UserSunniDay HB User

Holy cow, Paula! I can't believe that everything with your foot, you've hurt your "good" foot, too! I'm glad it's feeling better, and hope it heals completely and quickly.

I'm SO hoping that I don't have to go through the forest/harvesting experience. Since my last chemo (end of June) I've been growing back hair in most places, but so far not on my legs. I hope it stays that way until after this whole splint/cast/boot thing. Although I'm past the danger of high risk of infection from chemo, I still worry about it. I guess I always will. So maybe I'll just have the ugly shriveled skin but no hair. I could live with that.

Do any of you do exercises before you PT starts? Something to strengthen the leg connected to your surgical foot? This is only my 10th day since surgery, but I've been doing what I can since day 1. Although I'm still supposed to be keeping it elevated higher than my heart, my aftercare instructions say that I can have it not elevated for 10 minutes at a time, for bathroom and stuff like that. So whenever I get into my wheelchair to use the bathroom or refill my drink, I do leg lifts with that leg. I'm telling you, that splint/bandage is HEAVY! Feels like it weighs about 15 pounds. So I just let my leg hang down, and lift it parallel to the ground, and repeat. The first day I could barely do 10. Today I started doing 60 at a time without a break. I do it slowly, so I'm not just kicking the leg up. It doesn't take long, so I can still be back in my recliner with my foot elevated within 10 minutes. It just feels good to be doing something. Believe me, when I'm done, I'm really ready to get it back up on those pillows. My foot has felt swollen a couple of times, but that's all. A while after doing the leg lifts, it actually feels like there's a little extra room in my splint. It's obvious that I've lost a little weight since surgery. I'm eating a bran muffin for breakfast (to combat the effects of the Vicodin), greek yogurt for lunch (extra protein to help with healing), and whatever my son (fabulous cook) fixes for dinner. My jeans have gotten a little loose and the top of the splint is roomy, where it was tight the first few days after surgery.

I have a couple of questions. ADK ~ was your surgery on your left foot? I should know that, but I don't remember. I'm wondering because you mentioned that you were given clearance to drive. I can't believe how much I miss driving!

Paula ~ I'm so surprised to hear that you'll get out of the cast and into a boot after only 2 weeks! I hope SO much that I get that news as well when I get my cast next week. I understand that the boot is really heavy, but to be in something that can be removed occasionally sounds like heaven! Every night when my husband asks if I need anything else before I go to sleep, I ask him to take the splint off

Obviously we all are having various procedures and our outcomes and prognosis varies from one person to the next. But I'm reading so many things today that are very encouraging. I'm so thankful for this community and all who take time to contribute. It has made this experience much easier. My surgeon and his assistant are really awesome, but they only have so much time for each patient. It's so cool to be able to come to a place where we can discuss different experiences and talk about the reality of the procedures, rather than our doctors' textbook talks.

Thanks everyone, for everything you contribute. You make a difference in my experience with recovery, with my comfort level, in my every day. I'm thankful for all of you

Denise (if some of this doesn't quite make total sense, I'm rather heavily drugged)

Old 09-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #21
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

My surgery was on my left foot, yes. So in driving an automatic, I should be alright. it's just going to be getting in and out of the car that is the issue.

I haven't really been doing much in the way of leg excersises though I'm sure I probably should have been. I do a few leg lifts now and then, but nothing substantial.

I'll hopefully be starting PT in 2 weeks or so. My shriveled up leg looks awful, and I've lost a lot of weight everywhere else too. Who knew this could be a diet as well?

Old 09-28-2012, 11:13 AM   #22
(female)

Good afternoon friends! I just came back from a nice outing with my daughter and little grandaughter . We went to a wonderful farmstand not too far from here. I have never been there, always too busy but now I have the time just not the legs. I left my scooter home and brought the crutches, big mistake! I am so tired. We did a lot of walking around. I bought some fruit, a bousquet of sweet flowers to cheer myself up, and a yummy farm made apple pie. The best pie youcan get around here. I am excited for desert tonight. As far as how long I had my cast you are right sunny it was only two weeks. The splint that I had post op was also 2 weeks so I went into the boot after 4 weeks. Still no weight bearing. One more week till pwb, i hope. My appt isnt until oct 9th but it will be 2 weeks on oct 5th. I am goi ng to call the office and ask if I can start the pwb on the 5 th or do I need to wait for my appt. I cant start ptfor at least 3 more weeks. I just want to sleep without this thing and Lord I would love to stand in the shower. I know I am not ready for that yet . It kills if I put any weight on it by accident. You are right about this boa rd. It has been such a lifesaver. One more thing, sunny you asked about exercise. I was doing just what you are doing lifting the splint up and down very carefully. I also was told at 4 wks when they took out the stitches and put me in the boot that I should flex my ankle up and down a few times a day. He said that is the beginning of my pt. Just be sure you are careful because more is not always better.

Last edited by prico54; 09-28-2012 at 11:21 AM.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:28 AM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Sorry to hear you're worn out. It is so hard going anywhere for an extended time on crutches. Your pie sounds good. We have half of a cherry pie left here that we got from the farmers market last weekend. I'm going so stir crazy. I'm so tired of crutches and being nwb. It's been since April and I'm so fed up. Last week I had a mini surgery on my surgery foot to remove an ingrown nail. (Thank you pedicure people for cutting my nails wrong). The doctor has forbidden pedicures for me until my fusion heals. Too high risk for infection. I want so bad to go for a walk. The sidewalks around here make it impossible. Crutched out to my car last night to find it had been ransacked. The idiots didn't take anything. They dropped a stereo faceplate on the seat from someone else's car. Turned it over to the police. It had been reported stolen. Man people are idiots! I typically keep my scooter in there. Thank God I had it in the house. Well I'm heading off to target here shortly! Take it easy and stay off the floor everyone!

Old 09-28-2012, 02:59 PM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Shopping at Target and eating pie. Sounds like heaven. My town is too small to have a Target.
Y'all were talking about leg lifts...are you bringing the foot up to be parallel with the knee? Or lifting the whole leg? I went to PT quite a bit in the last year. I had my knee replaced 18 mos. ago and went right onto an Arizona brace. My gait shifted considerably and threw everything out of whack. I've been trying to do what leg exercises I can for the time being...anything has got to be better than nothing (in moderation).
I agree that this board has been a lifesaver. So much advice and camaraderie. Folks around me are sympathetic but they don't really get it. I hope everyone is getting as much out of it as I am.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

And Kimberly, since April? Seriously? I will keep that in mind next time I want to complain. Those little punks that broke into your car will get theirs. Karma is a *****. You don't know when or how but it ALWAYS comes around. Always.
Have a good weekend everyone!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well my surgery was April. I was in shoes and walking in July and in August the girl working w me at pt busted my fusion so I am nwb again. They even drew obscene pictures in the dew in my windows. Idiot kids!

Old 09-28-2012, 03:59 PM   #27
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I got to leave the house today too! It's amazing how just going to Target can change the day. Also bought the WEIRDEST cast cover thing for the shower. For real, its got the weirdest cuff. Not top of the line (I've seen ones you can swim in!) But not bottom barrel either I guess. I'm just excited to take my first real shower. Provided I can get up the steps (we have 13 here), I haven't attempted steps since the injury.

We'll see how it goes!

Old 09-28-2012, 05:12 PM   #28
(female)

I dont have a Target in my small town either. We have to leave town to do that kind of shopping. We do have one grocery store. Target and the small mall is about half an hour away. Not too far. I grew up in the city and moved here 25 years ago. I love it. As fzr as the knee lifts I would just lift to make it straight. Raising only the lower leg. I bought what I thought was a great cast protector. Well the last time I needed to use it (before I got my boot) the rubber cuff part at the top ripped wide open! I only used it maybe 4 times. I am sending an email to the company. See what they will do about it!

Old 09-29-2012, 07:02 AM   #29
(female)

It didn't go bad, but I wouldn't call it good either.

After about an hour trying to sleep, the pain just intensified whenever I laid down, so I finally broke and took a percoset. Normally I wake up every 3 hours, and then at the 6 hour mark take another to send me back to sleep. Last night I didn't, which is good. One percoset to fall asleep and then managing to sleep the rest of the night is a step forward.

Yeah I was told that under no means should I take anything other than tylenol for pain. It really doesn't seem to kick the pain at all, but maybe I'm a wuss about it.

A lot of the pain isn't in my foot though. Sometimes the incision burns or is painful if there is pressure on it, but a lot of the pain is in my calf. I was checked out for blood clots once already because I freaked out about calf pain. This is all becuase of how atrophied my muscle is and how weak it is I think. It can't handle the weight of the cast. Which should be fun if the cast boot weighs way more.

I wish I had some indoor hobbies to do. I'm not crafty at all (believe me I've tried! You should see the sock monkey I made [with instructions]. It looks like a zombie. ). All of my hobbies before my injury involve being active, which is why I think this is so much harder. I was a hiker, a paddler, a climber. Climbing is what got me into this mess and I was told that hiking is going to be really hard from now on. Just sucks.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: AdkLizard46
ginger62 (09-29-2012), jroseliver (09-29-2012)
Old 09-29-2012, 07:18 AM   #30
(female)

jroseliver HB User

glad you are at home maybe the sleep will get better thats funny about the sock monkey that you made

Last edited by jroseliver; 09-29-2012 at 07:20 AM.

Closed Thread