It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 AM   #1
(female)

voodoochil3 HB User
I think I messed something up! Any input would be hugely appreciated

I had my 4th bunionectomy on my left foot about 15 months ago. They had to take marrow from my hip and some bone paste to correct a non-union from a previous surgery and also put in a lower-profile plate at that time. The plate is still in my foot and it healed rather successfully.

Yesterday, I managed to have a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer fall on it, though. That thing HURT. It immediately swelled and started turning purple-ish so I went to an urgent care for some quick X-rays. The Dr. on duty said it was just seriously bruised, and I'm lucky I had the plate in other wise I may have broken the bone (bear in mind, she is a GP and not a radiologist or Orthopod). Now, though, when I walk, if I put any weight on the ball of my foot, it feels like something is trying to poke thru and is terribly painful. I'm also having intermittent tingling, like it's falling asleep?

I'm pretty sure that the plate is some sort of titanium alloy and probably super strong and I just need to give it some time and rest to get better, but I'm so concerned that something has shifted. I was planning on scheduling a plate removal sometime after the first of the year, but i'm thinking I may need to pay my ortho a visit sooner? WWYD?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:38 AM   #2
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User
Re: I think I messed something up! Any input would be hugely appreciated

If it were me I would be on the phone trying to get an appointment with my ortho doctor as soon as I could. Those mixers are HEAVY.

Years ago I was taking books off of a bookshelf and one of the shelves came off and landed on my foot. These were real wood shelves, not the kind you get today that are part partical board or something else lightweight. It was the corner that landed on my foot and it instantly looked like someone had shoved a purple egg under the skin. The ER doctor assured me that it was just bruised and that I was fine. Months later I found out that I had actually broken my pinkie toe. This was after a couple of xrays and an MRI. I guess that I take a long time to show a break?

Go talk to your ortho and see what they think. It may be something serious and it may be nothing but I think you would feel better if you knew one way or the other. Good luck with everything and I hope it's more of the nothing, going to heal on it's own, kind of issue.

The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpstress For This Useful Post:
voodoochil3 (09-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread