It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 01:01 PM   #61
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User
Re: Surgery today 9/25

Ditsy,
I truly love this board too, I don't know what I would do without all of you. It is almost like all of you are by my side through this torture. (thank you Cathy for the suggestion) That heel pad thing sounds great, I am getting one tomorrow. My heel is hurting me while sitting inside of the boot. I too have a huge screw in my heel and my heel was moved over to the left. (ouch)
I am glad I am not at the same PT place as you are. I would have killed that tech by now. You should always be in that boot while doing any weight baring exercises, at least that is what my PT person told me. He told me to step on a scale until it says 25 pounds, but I did not try it yet, because I am very sore today and I did not sleep at all last night (again). I would complain to whoever is in charge of the PT office. Her mistakes are unacceptable! I totally understand about the cranky part, I am beyond cranky. I cry everyday from frustration. I don't even want to go to therapy tomorrow, because of the soreness, but I know I have to.

Paula,
I am touching my foot a little better now but I go around the incision sites. I still hate to look at my foot with no sock on. I still have stitches in some spots, they are not gone quite yet. I tried to sleep without the boot last night ( surgeons office said I could) and I did not sleep at all. I think because I am still afraid of moving it wrong like Ladykanner said, I am protecting myself from the pain I may feel. They told me not to take Advil or Aleve yet because the bones are still healing, so I am relying on Tylenol only. Does the Mederma hurt? Do you have to put something on it? What does it look like? Why did you get it? I hope you do better at PT them I am doing. I feel like I am not doing enough.

Ladykanner,
I can totally understand your frustration. I am so sorry you have to go though the setbacks. Do you have a cast on again?
I wish I could have all of you with me at PT, then maybe I would be more confident and not scared to death. I tried to sleep without the boot.
I put my boot back on early in in the morning, but I still could not sleep. My heel was hurting me and it just seems I cannot set my foot in the right place that is comfortable. I still sleep on top of the bed covers covered with a blanket. I fuss all night with positions and I have pillows all over the place, in between my knees, under my foot, I swear I will never be comfortable again!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #62
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I agree with Paula! Please definitely say something both to that girl and to her boss. I wood question her immediately. I was too kind and look where it got me. I have her the benefit that she knew what she was doing. It was the first thing she did with me so I didn't see that she was so clueless. You have a legitimate concern. One thing that helped me before the "incident" was massage on my arch and the top of my foot. Helped loosen things up.
Take care!
Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
Ditsy1 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #63
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Yep I am casted again. Wierd this time being in a cast because I'm not really in pain. Occasionally achy. As for pain, my doctor gave me a script for tramadol. It's a pain med but very mild unlike the other harder meds like Percocet and Vicodin. I only take it at bed time. That seems like the only time I have issues. Maybe ask your doctor about that. Tylenol doesn't provide much relief for bone pain.

I am still using the bone growth stimulator. I have windows cut in my cast on both sides so it can be applied directly to the skin. I just tape the windows back into the cast when I'm done. I bought hot pink duct tape to match my cast lol. I want to decorate this one. My last cast was zebra stripes as you could see in my avatar picture. Thought about finding someone to paint it. Flowers or something. Well I'll stop rambling lol

Later taters!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
xerx790 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 01:56 PM   #64
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Dits, seriously, you have to say something. For yourself and the other people there. Don't wait til someone, (especially you) gets hurt. What happened to Kimberly CAN happen to you. You can be polite about it but you must say something.
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
Ditsy1 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 03:22 PM   #65
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

My dear Lovely Ladies of this Board,

You are all right -- I do need to say something so the PT tech's seeming cluelessness doesn't continue to affect others as well as me. I go back on Monday and I will see if I can speak to the PT privately. It's difficult because they are all in an open area generally, with only one private room for when new patients are being evaluated. At the very least, I will have calmed down by then! In the meantime, I guess this means more ice and rest, something new for a change...

Paula, I did ask my PT if I would still be in the boot when I go to FWB and he said for a week.

JMarch -- I was ready to commit homicide, and I had all I could do to keep from bursting into profanity and tears. I completely and totally share your frustration about the pain during PT. You've probably thought of this, but is your boot too tight? I don't think it's supposed to hurt when you are just sitting with no weight on it -- maybe the air needs adjusting? When I am just sitting around with the boot off, I think a large part of the pain for me is irritation from the nerves under the incisions - it is hard to get comfortable. I use mederma too -- it is a clear, light, odorless gel and it's supposed to work well, but we will see. I still have some scabbing too but it is almost gone; I just put the gel lightly across the incisions, scab and all. I read somewhere on this board that when first sleeping on your newly unbooted foot, a loose ace bandage wrap around it might help you adjust.

We WILL get through this!

Dits

Old 10-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #66
Senior Veteran
(female)

You did so much better than me ditzy! I jumped off the table dropping the f bomb and cursing while crying and threatened to kick her in the face if she did it again. Even told her that twice to ensure I was clear. Lol.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
Ditsy1 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 04:35 PM   #67
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

You all are making me nervous for PT. I still have a ways to go (at least 6 more weeks before I start). But I am allowed to start putting weight down, but I feel like I've forgotten how to walk. I'm scared to put too much weight down and feel it hurt, so I don't even know what my limit is. I don't want to be hurting, so I don't put too much weight down. Though I did almost fall off my scooter earlier, and caught myself with my bad foot, but my good foot was on the ground too (Yes, I'm that uncoordinated that I almost fell over with a good foot on the ground, ) But I don't think I put any weight down really, because it didn't hurt.

Right now i'm dealing with a whole lot of back pain. And not even in the area where my broken vertebrae is. In my shoulders. I think its from sleeping, but its annoying. I also had a strain in my rotator cuff last spring, and some muscle spasms and compression in the nerves and now that is acting up, making my arm all numb and stuff. It's very annoying. Oh well, win some lose some.

I just miss sleeping....

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: AdkLizard46
Ditsy1 (10-10-2012), ginger62 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 05:04 PM   #68
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Liz, you had a big weekend too, with a lot of driving. Also, the scooter uses muscles that maybe you haven't used for a while. Is there anyway you can get a massage? Or something to help you sleep? If you don't want to go the chemical route there's all kinds of homeopathic stuff out now. Good luck, I know what chronic insomnia is like.
Ginger

Old 10-10-2012, 05:13 PM   #69
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I've thought about a massage, I just need to be careful because since I had the issues with my spine, it would have to be just shoulder. I'm scared that they will not listen and massage my lumbar area, and I can't risk any sort of displacement there.

For awhile for sleeping, I was balancing a Percoset with one tylenol PM. I've been switched to Vicodin, but that still has the acetaminophen in it, and I'm hyper aware of the liver damage with too much tylenol.

I just hate it because every joint I have is grinding and popping and cracking it feels like. Wrists, shoulders, hips...I'm only 26, I shouldn't feel like this! Ugh.

Thanks for the support. I realize I'm being a little whiny...

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: AdkLizard46
Ditsy1 (10-10-2012), ginger62 (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 05:20 PM   #70
Senior Veteran
(female)

Not whiny at all. Even if you were, that's what we're here for. I have had sleep issues all of my life so I understand. There's not a whole lot worse on this earth than being sleep deprived.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 PM   #71
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Jodi, the mederma is a little 0.70 oz tube of clear gel. This tiny tube cost $23.00. The phys asst at my surgeons recommended it. But any scar gel would do. It is a clear gel it doesnt burn or hurt to put it on but you should massage it in and I am terrified to put any pressure on the scars yet. The scar on the calcaneal oseotomy site is numb and still has scabs on wherethe stitches were. It is too gross to put anything on it yet but the scar on the pttd transfer site has shed its scab and I still dont want to touch it. I hope my pt goes well too! I am not the most demure patient and if I am unhappy they will know it. I can ride a stationary bike at home. If its done properly pt is a great thing but bad pt can cause serious damage. I will give it a try. I will let you know next week how it goes. Fingers crossed. Good nite! Paula

Old 10-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #72
Senior Veteran
(female)

Just exactly where do y'all have scars? I have a big one on the inside of my foot, runs from about the middle of my instep to the middle of my heel (under my ankle bone). Another on the other side of my foot but smaller. 3rd one is on the top of my foot at the top of the arch, and the last is at the bottom of my calf on the back of my leg. For some reason, when they talked about the heel shift I thought I'd find my heel sliced open too.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #73
(female)

I have 3 scars. One GIANT one on the outside of my ankle. It makes an L shape around my ankle bone, probably about 6-7 inches long total. The next is on the top of my foot, right at the flex joint, about half an inch long I guess. The third is on my heel, where they drove the 2 giant screws into my foot. I have a few other scabby things around my foot too, not really sure what they are from. The giant scar will make a good story someday.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:53 PM   #74
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

I have two on the outside of my ankle from the Calcaneal osteotomy, one on the top middle of my foot, one on the inside of my foot below my ankle to halfway to the side of my big toe, and one on the bottom edge of the back of my heel. They are looking better every day, especially the one on the top of my foot. One of the ones on my outer ankle still has some scabs and the scars there are the most painful, despite that the area around them is completely numb. I will never be a foot model now, that's for sure.

Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #75
(female)

Blah, as if I NEEDED another thing to not go my way now....took my boot off for my 10 minutes I'm allowed to have it off (supposed to be when I shower, but I showered yesterday and didn't feel like fighting my way up the stairs...) just to air it out and there was some weird brownish discharge on my white sock and on the surgi-strips covering the giant incision. My mom is convinced it's pus. I'm calling the doctor in the morning, but I just can't even handle another thing going wrong right now. The drainage wasn't there yesterday, and when I showered I went no where near the incision with soap or anything, just let some water gently drip over it. Maybe it's from last night's sleep, I do tend to sleep on my side with it elevated on that side. I don't know. I just was at the doctor yesterday and they said it looked fine, it didn't hurt when they touched it. Now I'm overreacting and feel like the spot where there is drainage is on fire and its freaking me out. Ahhhh. Well, I guess that's it for sleep tonight. Oy.

Sorry everybody. Needed that rant.

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: AdkLizard46
Ditsy1 (10-10-2012), ginger62 (10-11-2012), LadyKanner (10-11-2012), prico54 (10-11-2012)
Closed Thread