It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012, 11:11 AM   #1
(female)

sumatra22 HB User
6-weeks Post-PTTD surgey

`6-weeks and all is well!! My cast was removed yesterday, and everything is healing quite nicely. I have 2-more weeks of NWB, but left with a Cam boot yesterday. It was so nice to sleep with my foot exposed last night! My next appt. is in 4-weeks, and my instructions are 25% PWB in 2 weeks, then the next 2 weeks are at 50% weight bearing. Not really sure how to judge this, any suggestions?

The only issue I have so far, are sutures that weren't removed. I'm not sure how they were missed. All sutures were suppose to be removed at my 2-week post-op appt, but they missed the 4 on the anterior side of my heel. So washing up today, I noticed them. I can't pull them out because the skin has healed over them. Now I have to go back tomorrow and have them removed. So this is an inconvenience, but I can forgive them.

Has this happened to anyone else?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User
Re: 6-weeks Post-PTTD surgey

I just posted recently when I went for my suture removal they took out the outer stitches and almost left 16 stitches on the inside. I had to ask him why he was leaving them and hwe was surprised. We need to be our own advocates. Dont you have to sleep in your boot? How come I do? I hate sleeping with it. It weighs too much!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-27-2012, 05:30 PM   #3
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

Hi Sumatra,

My stitches are the "dissolving" kind, so they did not have to be removed. I had heel and mid-foot osteotomies, tendon transfer and Achilles lengthening. I am 5.5 weeks post op and am also in a boot but still not weight bearing until next week when I begin PT. I agree that it is great to sleep without the boot, but I wear a sock on my foot to bed because of all the dead skin that is flaking off. My stitches still have not dissolved but my OS said they will either dissolve or eventually fall off in the shower. The steri strips are still covering the incisions but the stitches are still there.

I would call the office to ask about yours - maybe they don't have to be removed manually but they did it anyway and forgot a few?

Happy healing.

Dits

Old 09-27-2012, 07:09 PM   #4
(female)

marble94 HB Usermarble94 HB Usermarble94 HB User

I had a couple stitches that were missed too. I think the swelling was so much they did not see them all. I went back at 7 weeks post op and had them use a numbing spray. (i am rather wholly when it comes to stitches coming out). good luck and speedy healing.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:04 AM   #5
(female)

sumatra22 HB User

So the stitches were missed, came out yesterday, all is well in the world. The PA actually came in and was so embarrassed that she missed them, twice. They were easily removed and since my body already started rejecting them, there was no issue. But it explained the annoying and mild burning sensation I had there.

Prico54, I guess every doc/patient is different, so there are no finite rules about things like sleeping, lol. I'm lucky, I won't lie. I can't imagine sleeping with that boot on. My surgeon did say that I'm not a typical patient and that I am ahead of the game. Considering I feel like a big, fat, helpless lump of pudding these days...that made me feel good. lol

Ditsy1, I had the heel osteotomy, FDL transfer and Achilles lengthening, too. All of my stitches are now out, the steri-strips removed and the FDL incision scab completely fell off today, awesome and gross! The other are working their way off my nasty foot. I was in splint for 2 weeks, cast for 6 and now the boot. So you're going to be PWB in 6 weeks, wow! Good luck, I hope you update so I can lurk and prep myself. I'm sure it won't be too fun.

Marble94, thanks! I wish they used numbing spray for me, it hurt!! LOL

Old 09-28-2012, 06:00 PM   #6
(female)

Hi Sumatra,

It is good to be able to compare notes. Are you having any nerve pain or irritation? I have been having occasional painful "flares" on the outside of my foot in the vicinity of the sural nerve, where the heel shifting incisions are. The flares are short-lived, but are enough to make my foot want to jump. The OS said it is normal and will eventually subside. My heel frequently is really still irritated also. I am looking forward to my first PT session on Wednesday but I am nervous at the same time. Like you, my OS said I am ahead of the curve too, but I would still be stuck in the cast if I hadn't fallen off the scooter and needed x-rays, so go figure. It is weird to say but I can't wait for my scabs to fall off!

Best,

Sits

The Following User Says Thank You to Ditsy1 For This Useful Post:
sumatra22 (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
(female)

sumatra22 HB User

Ditsy1,
Sorry to respond so late! I am having both nerve pain and irritation, and yes, they will knock the wind out of me sometimes. But they don't last long. Thank goodness. The first two days with my boot were rough, too. I actually fell, twice, so you're not the only clutz, lol. Thursday was rainy, and my foot slid on the floor, knocking me backwards off my scooter. Luckily a hand truck broke my fall, and though I have a bruise the size of Minnesota on my butt, I didn't hurt my foot or break my wrist! Friday, I actually stumbled forward and did land straight down on my Cam boot. That hurt so bad I couldn't breathe. Luckily, no damage, but the nerve issue has been worse since then.

Let me know how your PT goes, I'm nervous about it, too. Though I have nothing scheduled at this point, other than range-of-motion exercises. They are coming along, slowly and surely I can move my ankle a little more each day. My scabs all fell off, after a good foot soak. It was so gross and awesome at the same time!

Best,
Steph - Sumatra22

Old 10-03-2012, 09:14 AM   #8
(female)

Hi Sumatra/Steph --

I passed the 6-week mark on Monday. Just got back today from PT, where I was able to stand for a few minutes and put some weight on my foot without the boot. He also took range of movement measurements and there is not too much swelling. He said the nerve pain and irritation we feel is common and will gradually subside. I have noticed that it is not a bad as it was even a week ago.

One of the exercises the PT had me do today is standing on both feet, without the boot, facing something solid, like a table or a high bed, and shifting weight from one foot to the other for 1 to 2 minutes. It felt okay -- the instructions were sort of vague, but the gist was to not put so much weight on it that it hurt; the goal was to get to feel what it was like to bear weight on the surgery foot. It felt pretty strong -- and it was really good to have it flat on the floor bearing some weight while standing up! I have to do this exercise now twice a day for up to 2 minutes. W/re gauging twenty pounds, the PT said that I should put a phone book, or something solid of similar height to the scale, next to the scale and put my good foot on it, then place my surgery foot on the scale itself and balance gradually to twenty pounds. I did ask him what was magical about 20 lbs., and he said there was nothing magical about it but to be careful not to overdo it. We did lots of inversion and eversion exercises (and the alphabet and side to side movements I have been doing) as well and I have to do them twice a day now. However, I did not learn to actually walk PWB with the crutches today; evidently that will happen on Monday at my next session but I suspect I will be impatient before then. I am cleared to ride my indoor bicycle (it's on a trainer) without the boot (using a towel on the pedals or whatever shoe will fit) as much as I want to, but with not much resistance. I didn't find this first PT session to be painful at all, but perhaps that is because other than shifting weight back and forth while standing, we really didn't do too much that I haven't already been doing. I'll see how it feels later.

And my steri strips finally came off in the shower this morning! Scab is still there and gross, but there it is. I am putting Mederma on the scars. Hope it works.

Cheers,

Dits (Nancy)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ditsy1 For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (10-03-2012), sumatra22 (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:47 AM   #9
(female)

sumatra22 HB User

Nancy,

Wow! Sounds like such an amazing day! Yesterday was my 7-week mark, and the only thing I find odd is that I haven't started therapy yet. Unless I missed something, lol. We shall see, my follow-up is 3 weeks from tomorrow. And I guess every doc/patient has it a little different. But I'll keep in mind the things that you did and let you know what mine is like.

My range of motion is improving. And it's funny they had you do the alphabet, because that is one of "my own" exercises. Not sure why, maybe I read it somewhere. I would've been scared to put my foot on the floor, but it's comforting to hear it didn't hurt. Please, keep us updated!

Steph

Closed Thread