It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-01-2012, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

hairtek HB User
right ankle, tendon and ligament repair surgery.

I had a 2 1/2 hr surgery done last Monday and I am still in so much pain. The cast was toooo tight, got that taken off on Wed. n a splint on, that hurt n I took that off. Percs aren't helping nor ice, I have had it elevated 24 hrs a day. If I get up it's only for the restroom, next door, then the massive pounding starts again. I don't know if there's something else I can do. My foot has not moved nor touched anything but pillows, but my heel feels like a rug/road burn. I can't handle this. Prior, 2-3 yrs I had all these tears and never took a pain pill. My surgery was to be 45 min. Then once it got opened up, the fun began for the dr. Where to start. Had to cut, re-attach, see, move n it wasn't anything he was prepared for. Glad I was the first in line that day. I wonder how long this is going to hurt, when I don't even get up n how long do I stay OFF of it. Dr hasn't said a word yet. He's in awe because he said a football player would be out for the season with just 2 of the tears I had alone. Anyone know about this pain, is that a normal pain? Then recovery time?

Old 11-08-2012, 10:30 AM   #2
(female)

Beemer09 HB User
Re: rt ankle, tendon n ligament repair surgery.

Hello, I am two and half weeks post ankle surgery. The pain, burning, tingling is almost unbearable. I went back to doc and he prescribed gabapentin for nerve irritation and Flexril for muscle spasms along with Percocet and Visteril to help the Perc work better. It seems like its starting to help. I've only been on it for a few days,m, so will see. My worry is if there could be permanent nerve damage. Very frustrating.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-02-2013, 02:38 AM   #3
(female)

boston02050 HB User

Hi hairtek, I was wondering how ur recovery was going. I just had my surgery on Nov 25th so its only been a week, but I am having the same pains like u mentioned and I was wondering if they have gone away for u or r u still having them? Hope ur recovery is getting better. Thank u, ahead of time for a reply.

Old 12-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #4
(female)

slowinmi HB User
Re: right ankle, tendon and ligament repair surgery.

Hi hairtek,

I'm new to this forum, but not new to ankle surgeries and pain. I've had 5 surgeries on my left ankle beginning almost 35 years ago. From my own experience, and also from what others have said, the pain from a major ankle/foot surgery will decrease gradually over several weeks. You didn't say when you were taking your meds, but if you stay ahead of the pain by taking your pain medication regularly it is generally more helpful than waiting until you are in a lot of pain and then having to "catch up" again. If your pain medication isn't working, you should contact your doctor to see what he/she says. They may want to change something to help you be more comfortable.

It sounds like you're doing a good job of keeping your foot above the level of your heart to prevent swelling and that throbbing feeling. I'm very sorry that you're having such a difficult time. I hope you feel better soon. Please keep us informed with how you're doing.

slow

Old 12-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #5
(female)

boston02050 HB User

Hi Beemer09, I just had my surgery Nov 25, so I am almost 2 weeks post op. I guess my question for u is of course, how r u recovering? second, my pain is the throbbing, feels on fire, and the heel of my foot hurts horrible too. I have already asked my dr for something stronger than oxy, and he prescribed merip, well those are not working either...I am afraid to ask if there is something else I can take that will work bcuz I am really struggling with the pain. I literally get around maybe 4 hours of sleep bcuz I am so uncomfortable and in pain, but I do not want him looking at me like I am a druggie because I am not...I do not even take cold medicine, grew up with a mum who doesn't believe in drugging children with meds. Do u think I should just suck it up or let him know an see wat he says? My post op appt is on Dec 10th. Would love ur advice...thank u so much.

Last edited by boston02050; 12-05-2013 at 10:37 PM. Reason: date wrong

Old 12-05-2013, 10:43 PM   #6
(female)

boston02050 HB User

Hi slowinmi, I just had my surgery Nov 25, so I am almost 2 weeks post op. I guess my question for u is u seem to have plenty of ankle surgery knowledge... my pain is the throbbing, feels on fire, and the heel of my foot hurts horrible too. I have already asked my dr for something stronger than oxy, and he prescribed merip, well those are not working either...I am afraid to ask if there is something else I can take that will work bcuz I am really struggling with the pain. I literally get around maybe 4 hours of sleep bcuz I am so uncomfortable and in pain, but I do not want him looking at me like I am a druggie because I am not...I do not even take cold medicine, grew up with a mum who doesn't believe in drugging children with meds. Do u think I should just suck it up or let him know an see wat he says? My post op appt is on Dec 10th. Would love to hear abt ur thoughts and advice...thank u so much.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:20 PM   #7
(female)

royalmess HB User

Hi,
In two days I am going to have reconstructive surgery on my right ankle. I am very nervous because I am not sure exactly what to expect. Any advice about how to help get through it would be greatly appreciated.

Reply Reply