It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #31
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User
Re: Is this posterior tibial tendonitis?

Wow 7 years? That's awful!! I dunno how you had dealt with that, I have been sooo miserable over just 1 year! I've had 3 MRIs (& 2 x-rays & an ultrasound) done in the past year as well, I can't believe they wouldn't get you a new one. Now that they've found my tear (on an MRI that was taken in June, of course, couldda looked closer THEN!), I'm hoping they were right about the rest of it being "fine." My biggest fear is that they do end up having to do more than just the repair *shudder* ... I just really miss running hehe.

Glad you finally got your issues taken care of!! Good luck with the recovery!

Old 11-02-2012, 11:32 AM   #32
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Yes, I definitely think the MRI should have included my calf. The radiologist agreed. On top of the problems with my calf, last year during PT they had to use a rolling pin to have my "frozen" contracted calf relax. While doing this, I heard and felt a loud pop which felt like something other than a bone break. It didn't hurt. I def. think something happened though.
So is the current thinking amongst OS to just "go in" and work on what they see? Seems so strange to me and it is the reason I've been getting pretty anxious lately about the surgery...
I checked my MASS Gen gateway site. MRI is complete but it appears it won't be posted until Nov. 8. I have no clue why. I already know, based on the last two MRIs that nothing will show up. Last time the 2nd OS I saw told me the pain was in my head.
Curious how Cedars handles the surgery. Is it outpatient?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #33
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Tenderfoot,
Thanks so much for posting. I am really anxious, although resigned, to the surgery. It really helps to hear from someone who has gone through it.
Hoping for a thorough and speedy recovery for you.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:58 AM   #34
(female)

My surgeon is pretty sure I just need a tendon repair. So the plan is he's gonna go in & sew up the tear, he is pretty sure I don't need a tendon transfer or anything more than just a repair. I have heard lots of stories of people whose MRIs didn't show the extent of the damage, however, and having SO many different diagnoses over the past year the possibilities of it not being as simple as it sounds are of course making me slightly anxious.

Yep, it's an outpatient surgery. I'm supposed to only be NWB for 3 weeks.

I'm DYING to just get it over with. I could have gotten it done much sooner if I wasn't teaching right now, but I haffta wait until winter break :/

Old 11-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #35
(female)

Allykay,
While I'm pretty resigned to the fact that I may need the 3 complex procedures my OS mentioned, I'm just not understanding how she knows for sure without an extensive MRI.

Not sure if you can identify with this, sometimes, when sitting or resting and not feeling much pulling or pain, I start to second guess everything. Do you ever do this?

I hear you about the DYING to get this done and over with. I had wanted to have it in March when I first saw the OS I am seeing now. Her protocol was to wait 6 months. 6 wasted months.

Here's to you be able to run soon and my being able to walk/run/dance soon - painless!

Old 11-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

More often than not, they cannot tell what they extent of the damage is until you are on the table. Otherwise, they would have to manipulate your foot in a way that is impossible if you are awake (readain that would be unbearable). The earlier you catch it and get it fixed the better, believe me. I waited far too long. No job is worth what this does to you. Sounds like you all are in good hands, finally. I wish you the best in your recoveries.
Ginger

Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #37
(female)

What do you mean by "manipulate your foot in a way that is impossible while you are awake"?

Old 11-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #38
(female)

Also- being realistic- doctors are correct just as often as they aren't, and there's WAY more academic literature on MRIs over-reporting damage than under-reporting damage. I'm 23 and I lack MOST of the symptoms of PTT dysfunction/tendonitis. I will probably be running again a year from now. It's just KILLING me to not just get the surgery over with nowww!

Reply Reply