It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

Blaze33 HB User
Question Metatarsaligia surgery. Yay or nay?

Hello, I am a 29 yr old fit female dealing with very painful "metatarsalgia". Im on this board looking for advice, support, and help on how to deal with this chronic pain.
It is at its worst when i am walking but still doesn't go away when sitting. The only time it seems to be close to non existent is when they are elevated and barefooted

This has been going on for about 6 or more months now. I have had no issues at all with my feet ,but only up until i started going to the gym ( a year ago) with intense work outs. ( cycling,elliptical,treadmill, squats with weights)
Most days its to the point where i cant walk- burning, like you have a sunburn on the ball of your foot.

I got xrays (I have the pic if needed) and the orthopedic told me straight out that there was an issue with my first metatarsal bone being shorter than the rest.. which is causing this pain (morton's toe?). She suggested cutting my other toes to the length of the first metatarsal bone. That freaked me out and she suggested trying met pads and bars in my shoes. Those were a pain to use so i was prescribed custom orthodox.
I got fitted by a physical therapist and she noticed that i have VERY tight calf's and to do stretches 3 times a day as that could contribute to the pain.

Orthodox came in and they tell you to break them in by increasing it an hour each day. I was up to 4 hrs when my feet had another flare up and i could barley walk again. Now, on a GOOD day my pain is about a 3...when they flare up im at a pain scale of 7-10.

In a week i meet again with my orthopedic surgeon to discuss how my orthodox are doing. Im already prepared that she will press surgery on me again. Im VERY scared of this because i see nothing but horror stories.

I suggested seeing a podiatrist but they keep telling me the ortho is the only way to go for my condition.

It just doesn't make sense to me that ive been fine all my life but now im dealing with this and reconstructive surgery is put on my plate~!??

Surgery? Second opinion? relief suggestions? Anyone else with this issue?

Im so freaked out

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 04:13 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User
Re: Metatarsaligia surgery. Yay or nay?

I would not let that person near me! Now, you mentioned Morton's and I am wondering if you are referring to a Morton's neuroma, which is a growth on the nerve and is between the toes on the upper part of the foot. I have had that surgery and my toes were never adjusted. And I do feel that orthotics make the muscles weak in the legs and feet. I am speaking from experience.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:07 AM   #3
(female)

Blaze33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by danabarb View Post
I would not let that person near me! Now, you mentioned Morton's and I am wondering if you are referring to a Morton's neuroma, which is a growth on the nerve and is between the toes on the upper part of the foot. I have had that surgery and my toes were never adjusted. And I do feel that orthotics make the muscles weak in the legs and feet. I am speaking from experience.
Thank you so much for replying! I feel so alone in this!

Many people are telling me the same thing. Its just really odd that my feet have never bothered me like this throughout my whole life. But just until, I became active it seemed to be a little bothersome at first then gradually to a state where it is very hard to walk now.
When I mention “Morton’s toe” i didn’t mean the neuroma variety. I saw the term being used when someone has a shorter first toe bone( due to a shorter metatarsal bone) and a longer second toe. Not sure if there is a medical term for this “deformity”.

However that is something I will mention to my ortho tomorrow.

I mean they want to shorten my second, third, and forth toe just to make them the same length as my first toe. Seems to be risky just because of my first toe

Old 10-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

danabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB Userdanabarb HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze13 View Post
Thank you so much for replying! I feel so alone in this!

Many people are telling me the same thing. Its just really odd that my feet have never bothered me like this throughout my whole life. But just until, I became active it seemed to be a little bothersome at first then gradually to a state where it is very hard to walk now.
When I mention “Morton’s toe” i didn’t mean the neuroma variety. I saw the term being used when someone has a shorter first toe bone( due to a shorter metatarsal bone) and a longer second toe. Not sure if there is a medical term for this “deformity”.

However that is something I will mention to my ortho tomorrow.

I mean they want to shorten my second, third, and forth toe just to make them the same length as my first toe. Seems to be risky just because of my first toe
I just looked at my feet and none of my toes are the same length. If this is the reason this dr. wants to cut into you, I would stay clear of him and under my breath, tell him to book his vacation on someone else's money. . Do you do stretching every day because that really helps as we get older. Do you know of someone who specializes in kiniseology because someone like that can help you; I am sure. I don't remember what I wrote earlier, but I have been going to someone like that and he has even straightened out a crooked toe and made my bunions MUCH smaller on both feet, which I had surgery on years ago, to remove the bunions. If I had known then what I know now, I would not have let the ortho surgeon near me and please do not wear orthotics because they weaken the muscles in your feet, which, in turn, will weaken the muscles in your legs and then throw your hips out of line. I speak from experience and mine were made by someone the ortho surgeon recommended to me. Good luck and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. I hate to hear of you going through all of this and even thinking of surgery.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I see you are in Boston and that has all sorts of medical staff. Can you call one of the hospitals, like MGH, and ask if they have a certified kiniseologist. They are people who study body mechanics.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:41 AM   #6
(female)

Blaze33 HB User

I think I worded it wrong. The ortho wants to make the other metatarsal bones on my second, third, and forth toes (the long bone before the toes) all align with the first metatarsal bone to my big toe’s bone.
The ortho also mentioned that the type of “deformity” I have is usually seen on people who have gotten bunion surgery.
I was going to do a test wearing just plain ole gel inserts. Right now I am using the sticky metatarsal bars they gave me to stick onto over counter insoles. My custom orthotics made my pain worse within a few days. So they told me to try them every other day.

Kinesiology, as in a chiropractor?

Im so desperate to get relief that I guess in my mind ill do anything  Even if it is surgery

Yes, im from the boston area. 20min from boston to be exact. I plan to get second opinions, but my health insurance only lets us see dr’s from a certain area. If we want to go out of said area our copay is outrageous! I do plan on trying whatever possible with surgery being the last resort

Old 10-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I think I worded it wrong. The ortho wants to make the other metatarsal bones on my second, third, and forth toes (the long bone before the toes) all align with the first metatarsal bone to my big toe’s bone.
The ortho also mentioned that the type of “deformity” I have is usually seen on people who have gotten bunion surgery.
I was going to do a test wearing just plain ole gel inserts. Right now I am using the sticky metatarsal bars they gave me to stick onto over counter insoles. My custom orthotics made my pain worse within a few days. So they told me to try them every other day.

Kinesiology, as in a chiropractor?

Im so desperate to get relief that I guess in my mind ill do anything  Even if it is surgery

Yes, im from the boston area. 20min from boston to be exact. I plan to get second opinions, but my health insurance only lets us see dr’s from a certain area. If we want to go out of said area our copay is outrageous! I do plan on trying whatever possible with surgery being the last resort
No, Kinesiology is not chiropractor. As I may have said, he is someone who has studied body mechanics, but I am not too sure your insurance would cover that and that is something I had not thought about. I still have my doubts about that surgeon because I had HORRIBLE feet with bunions and hammer toes and they were as flat as a pancake before my surgery years ago. As time passed on, I could see that the bunions were growing back and the hammer toe on one foot was coming back. As I said, had I known then when I know know about the mechanics of the feet and legs and hips, I never would have had that surgery years ago and, yes, an ortho man did it. Did a podiatrist make your inserts? I am just curious. I used to live in Boston and LOVED it!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
(female)

Blaze33 HB User

I will look into it, ive never heard of such a dr.

A podiatrist didn’t make my orthotics, the physical therapy department of the hospital did ( at the same hospital my ortho is from). They watched the way I walked, took many measurements, and checked my flexibility. I also forgot to mention that she noticed my feet didn’t bend at the correct normal degree angle. And my calfs are EXTREEMLY tight. I have exercises to stretch for it. No difference yet.

I also looked up ball of foot fat pad atrophy? I wonder if that could be something to look at too considering the pain didn’t start until I started exercising?

I tried to request an appointment with a podiatrist for a look at my issue after the ortho mentioned surgery. But they told me with the problem I have I am seeing the better dr and that the podiatrist would have referred me to an ortho after….

So far plan of action:
See ortho tomorrow
Get a second and third opinion
Some sort of therapy
Possibly see a Podiatrist

Last edited by Pyretta33; 10-08-2012 at 10:05 AM.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
I will look into it, ive never heard of such a dr.

A podiatrist didn’t make my orthotics, the physical therapy department of the hospital did ( at the same hospital my ortho is from). They watched the way I walked, took many measurements, and checked my flexibility. I also forgot to mention that she noticed my feet didn’t bend at the correct normal degree angle. And my calfs are EXTREEMLY tight. I have exercises to stretch for it. No difference yet.

I also looked up ball of foot fat pad atrophy? I wonder if that could be something to look at too considering the pain didn’t start until I started exercising?

I tried to request an appointment with a podiatrist for a look at my issue after the ortho mentioned surgery. But they told me with the problem I have I am seeing the better dr and that the podiatrist would have referred me to an ortho after….

So far plan of action:
See ortho tomorrow
Get a second and third opinion
Some sort of therapy
Possibly see a Podiatrist
The kiniseologist is not a doctor. As I said, he has been trained in body mechanics. Good luck with your appointment and I hope you find some relief. Oh, you asked about atrophy and I cannot answer that other than to tell you my muscles atrophied from inserts.

Old 02-13-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
(female)

Kokopelli2 HB User

I know it's been several months since you posted, but I'm just wondering...did you get any 'relief? I'm a fit, 34 year old with very similar (miserable) pain in the ball of my feet. I've tried orthotics, rest, PT, acupuncture, chiropractic care...you name it...with little to no improvement. I just wanted you to know you're not alone and to see if you had any ideas!

Old 02-14-2013, 05:11 AM   #11
(female)

Blaze33 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokopelli2 View Post
I know it's been several months since you posted, but I'm just wondering...did you get any 'relief? I'm a fit, 34 year old with very similar (miserable) pain in the ball of my feet. I've tried orthotics, rest, PT, acupuncture, chiropractic care...you name it...with little to no improvement. I just wanted you to know you're not alone and to see if you had any ideas!

I’m glad there is someone with similar pain to help get some sort of support system. From my last post I have had a MRI which showed I have bursitis on the bottom of the ball of my foot. They don’t know whats causing the bursitis. In pt ive had that electrode treatment, stretches, and ultrasound treatment. They all gave me some relief…but the relief was only for a few hrs. I can’t seem to stick with the stretches due to putting weight on my feet.
I have seen pain management and they gave me tramadol for the pain (which I find myself taking 3 times a day). Also a topical called Pennsaid ( which doesn’t work).
The orthopedics have suggested calf lengthening ( as I have very tight calfs). And toe shortening. BUT they don’t even know if those will help, they seem to be lost.

Closed Thread