It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 09:25 PM   #16
(female)

JoyJS HB User
Re: Surgery set for 10/18/12: Peroneal Tendon Subluxation, Debridement

LabGimp, here's more before I forget (again):
Crutches! I asked my doctor's office if they had a pair that they can loan me and they did! This is important too since you have to put be off your foot for at least 10 days? I followed this doctor's orders and boy, it is really helping with my healing.

Scooter or knee-walker: I was dead-set about renting one but my doctor really discouraged me from using one. He says people tend to take their operated foot for granted once they're on the scooter. The chances of the foot getting bumped by something since it's "dangling" behind you is just too great that he didn't recommend it. Now I see his point. I've been using the crutches and yes, it works out just fine!

One more: elevate, elevate, elevate!
Yes, the healing period will be boring since you can only watch so much TV, you can only read so much books but my goodness, it will really help in the healing process. I say give yourself time to heal is extremely important!
Rest and psyche yourself up to heal faster in no time.

- Joy JS

Old 10-10-2012, 11:04 PM   #17
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

My doctor suggested a knee walker. I'm not sure what brands everyone uses but the one I have does not leave my foot hanging and dangling off the back. Only thing not on the scooter is the bottom section of my foot. The actual ankle itself is fully supported and the rear wheels stick out much farther than my foot does. I'm sure different models are built differently. I can get around just fine on crutches. It's just a pain and the knee walker gives a sliver of your independence back. Hope everyone is doing well!
~kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 02:48 AM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

LabGimp, I second the knee walker. The sturdier the better. The reviews on line are very descriptive. If you need to carry anything at all a basket is a must.

Last edited by Administrator; 10-11-2012 at 03:32 PM.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:08 PM   #19
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

Hi! Definitely get a knee walker! Sometimes the doctor's office will have them to loan out. Mine did but I found out about that only after I had gotten mine. I had your surgery (minus the bone excisions-but I had the Brostrom-Gould, the peroneal tendon tear repair and the fibular groove deepening for subluxation this past Feb. I'm surprised you are going to be allowed to weight bear after 2 weeks. The standard NWB is 6 weeks and in my little group of us who went through this in Feb, one of us was given 2 wks NWB. The rest were 6-8 wks. The girl who was only given 2 weeks wound up taking 6-8 weeks before she could walk. Not trying to scare you at all, just a heads up caution so you don't get discouraged if you aren't able to weight bear at 2wks. The amount of work you are having done is a lot and involves bone breaking/drilling. This makes recovery longer and is more painful (but easily controlled with meds). So also just a heads up warning for work too. Might want to let them know it might be longer than 2 wks. Looks like you've done a great job of getting prepared though! Good luck and let us know when you're able about how surgery went and if you have any questions, ask ask ask!! That's what we're here for because there's a lot of us who've just had your surgery!

Old 10-14-2012, 08:32 AM   #20
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

Yikes! 6-8 weeks before walking? I appreciate the heads up. I hope it's not that long, but it's good to know it's a possibility. My doc said 2 weeks NWB post surgery, then 6 more weeks PWB on crutches as tolerated. I guess I'll see how it actually goes.

I have one set of crutches from Goodwill at home now, and will get another pair as well as the knee walker in a couple of days. My surgery is this Thursday (today being Sunday). I'm looking to buy a chair recliner today, too. I want to have a comfortable place to recup. I hope I'm not stuck in my bed for too long. No TV in my bedroom. I pulled out an old crochet project from 10 yrs ago. Now I have to see if I can remember what I was doing! (and how to do it!).

The doc's office called Friday to confirm my time. I'm set for Thurs Oct 18 at 9:45am. It's outpatient. They told me to stop taking any aspirin & aleve and several other Rx drugs. Also, stop taking any fish oil, flax seed oil, herbal supplements & Vit E. Oh boy. I take pain meds for fibro and for the ankle pain. I'm concerned that I'm going to go through some withdrawal, not to mention more pain. I am cutting down over the weekend and will get further info on what I need to eliminate on Monday. (I just got the message from my hubby).

eeks, I'm getting scared.

The following user gives a hug of support to LabGimp:
ginger62 (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:39 AM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

Relax Gimp! It will all be okay. The last week before my surgery was a bit painful having to not take my medication for pain. Tylenol never seems to cut it well enough. Good luck finding a new recliner..my recliner has been my best friend. I think I have totally worn it out. We are going to need to buy new ones when this is all done.

I was in the hospital waiting for a knee surgery once and there was a guy on the other side of the curtain from me waiting. His blood pressure was so high they weren't able to do the surgery. Idiot stopped taking his BP meds with the other meds. Some meds you don't quit. They had to reschedule him. He was upset as he had already taken the time off work.

Good for you having outpatient! At least you get to go home that day. We are here if you want to talk before your big day comes and after. Don't hesitate to message us.

~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 10-14-2012, 12:21 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

If you have a tablet you can take it into the hospital with you. If not to message then at least to keep yourself occupied. I was scheduled for outpatient too. I know I drove the nurses crazy as most folks on here spent 1-2 (if not 3) nights in the hospital for pain control. I was sure they would keep me as I didn't even go back tll 2:30! All the worry was for naught. I was back at the hotel by 6pm, having room service at 7 and watching
Survivor by 8. Just be ready for the end of the nerve block, if you're having one, that part is a doozy. Try some yoga breathing ( or Lamaze), they both work for getting through the pain.
Honestly, the not knowing and the worrying are the worst part. Next week at this time all the bad stuff will be behind you! A week ago you were discussing shower chairs with your husband, remember? It'll fly by.

Old 10-14-2012, 12:45 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

One more thing if you can...hand held shower head. It's a lot easier to direct the spray onto yourself than to try to wriggle your way under the spray

Old 10-14-2012, 02:24 PM   #24
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

"Relax Gimp. It will all be okay" - I LOVE it, LadyKanner. That is going to be my new mantra (relax gimp, relax gimp, relax gimp....). I'm definitely not giving up all meds. If I went without my hormones, someone would get hurt. Poor guy not taking his BP meds. Bummer! That was a good story to share just to show that you don't have to (or need to) give up ALL meds.

ginger - I wish I had a tablet. I have an iPod touch, but it's a teeny screen and probably won't have wi-fi available. At least I'll be able to play spider solitaire. We did get a laptop last week so I wouldn't have to hobble into the basement to use one of our two ancient desktops.

LaMaze breathing - never got to that. I had one LaMaze class and the next day I gave birth. Twin girls that came 3 months early. They just turned 18. That's a whole nother set of posts. oi.

I do have a hand held shower head. Just used it to give the dog a bath. Check one more thing off the list! And I was able to borrow a shower chair and shower handle from my niece. Things are coming together.

ginger - how far out are you now?

Old 10-14-2012, 03:27 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

It will be 3 weeks tomorrow, and it's different every day!

Old 10-14-2012, 04:03 PM   #26
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ask about wi fi when you get to the hospital. They'll probably have a guest network available. Chances are you'll be sitting around waiting for a while so it would be good to have just to entertain yourself. ( and to post so we'll know you are doing!) Use the rest of this week to get the little things done and don't stress the rest. Just show up at the hospital with your ID and insurance card. All will be well.
xo,
Ginger

Old 10-14-2012, 06:56 PM   #27
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have found that everyone calls me gimp these days. This forum should have shirts made that say Gimp on the back of them! Sounds like you're pretty prepared. Make sure you have plenty of ice available. If you have a cast you can keep the ice on it 24/7. My mom brought me a cryocuff but I found I used the ice packs more. Just strapped them to my cast and left them there. Lots of comfortable sweats or pajama pants. I think it was weeks before I actually wore jeans again after surgery. If you don't have a knee walker with a basket you may want to get a bag to carry things in to transport. Plastic shopping bags are just as efficient.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread