It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-06-2012, 11:29 AM   #1
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User
Surgery set for 10/18/12: Peroneal Tendon Subluxation, Debridement

Well, I have my surgery scheduled! It will be Oct 18, 2012. It's my right ankle. Bone spurs are being removed (debridement) from my inside ankle bone, bone spurs being removed from front of ankle and the big one is my peroneal tendon (PT) being tightened up and moved back into place. PT is too far forward (subluxated). He will be deepening the fibular groove so the PT has a better place to reside. He will also tighten up the ligaments on my foot to hold the PT in place. He will "fold over" the ligament on itself, drill holes in my foot bone and suture the ligament into place. This should hold everything tightly.

One big issue is if the PT is in bad shape. If so, he will have to take a tendon from my big toe to repair/replace the PT.

So that's 3 incisions for sure (inside ankle, front of ankle and the big incision on the outside of my ankle for the PT work).

He told me 2 weeks NWB and then 6 more weeks in a walking cast with crutches. I got some crutches at Goodwill, and I'm looking for a knee walker/scooter. How long are people usually on the knee walker? I might rent, but I don't know how long to expect to rent for.

My plan is to be off work for the 2 weeks NWB and then go back to work at least part time for the first couple of weeks (I work in a laboratory). I will go back to full time as soon as I'm able. Is this unrealistic?

Brief Background: Broke right ankle and right femur in car accident when I was 19 (1976). Had spurs removed 10 years later, 1986 when I was 30. Now I'm 56 and don't quite snap back like I did when I was younger!

I've read the very helpful stick on NWB tips at the top of the board. Thank you to all who posted!

I'm pretty freaked out. Fear of the unknown, fear of the pain, worry about "what have I forgotten" for preparation. I'm married, so my husband will definitely help out a lot. Oh yeah, I still have to buy a bell!

Any advice, suggestions, stories or words of wisdom? This board has been so helpful!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-06-2012, 03:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: Surgery set for 10/18/12: Peroneal Tendon Subluxation, Debridement

Good luck, LabGimp. It's a relief to get the surgery scheduled so you know what you're working with. I found myself making lists...work, home, shopping. Just kept adding to them, so I was sure not to forget anything.
If you're only NWB for 2 weeks that's not bad at all. The time will go faster than you think. Don't rush getting back to work if you don't absolutely have to.
Keep us posted!
Ginger

Old 10-06-2012, 11:44 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

LabGimp,

I sure wish the be best of luck with your upcoming surgery!

Some of the tips on here that helped me most with my recent surgery were to buy diabetic socks in advance as regular socks won't fit your foot for a while after having surgery, getting a shower chair and handheld shower, and making lots of meals ahead of time and freezing them. There are a lot of other helpful tips on here, but those are the ones that best prepared me for surgery and recovery.

Please let us know how you're progressing!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:34 AM   #4
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

Thank you Ginger & TwoHands!

I'm heading to Goodwill today to see if they have a shower chair. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll have a knee scooter, too! Otherwise, I may just rent one. I found one closeby for $80/month to rent. Or I could buy one on Amazon for $238. Then I'd have to hassle with re-selling it. My husband is already freaking at how many things I'm buying in anticipation of this surgery.

Ginger - I will try to take as much time off work as I can, but I just got a new boss and I don't want to start off by taking lots of time off. She knew coming in that I had surgery scheduled, but still, I am 56 and there are lots of people looking for jobs--younger and cheaper than me. So far the new boss seems to be pretty understanding. Oh, and I have lists alright. I'm the list queen. Love my lists!

TwoHands - I like the idea of making meals ahead of time, but I'm running out of time. I'm going to make a big batch of soup today. Hopefully I'll find a shower chair at Goodwill or be able to borrow one. My husband said I should just use one of our plastic lawn chairs. Who knows, maybe I'll try that today, too!

Thanks to you both for the advice and support!

Old 10-07-2012, 07:46 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Haha, I went crazy looking for a shower chair. My shower is kind of square shaped and I was trying to make a portable commode do double duty.Iit just wouldn't fit! Because my shower has a built in seat! Since I was using it as a shower caddy I totally forgot it was there.
Point being, they also make grab bars that stick with suction that work pretty well and can be removed and used another time.
LabGimp, if you are going back to work that soon, I would definitely get a knee walker. It will make your life so much easier. I don't think you will be sorry. Read the reviews though and get one that best suits your needs.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:41 AM   #6
(female)

Thanks Ginger! How long do you think I would be needing the knee walker? I'm still debating whether to rent or buy. If I only need it for 2 weeks or so, then it would make more sense to rent. If I'd be using it for 2 months, then buying one would be the best value. What do you think?

Another question about the shower--how soon can you take a shower after surgery? Can you get in there while still NWB? Or is it sponge baths for two weeks. ick. I ordered one of those cast covers from Amazon to go over the splint/cast/boot. (I am still getting the terminology mixed up as to what is going on my foot and when!). The whole "how to get clean" issue kind of bothers me.

Old 10-07-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Personally, I think that if you are going back to work fairly early, you will be very happy to have the scooter available. Knowing what I know now, I would never do crutches again. Crutches are for youngsters. I am 50 and I can't afford a broken hip on top of this.
I was told I could take a shower when I felt up to it. That meant Sunday (day 5). Definitely needed help. After 2 weeks I think I could do it myself ...maybe next time. I ordered one of those cast covers too and didn't' really look at it til I got home. I don't know how anyone gets those on! The opening was really small! I just used a trash bag.
You more than likely will come home in a splint (about 4x the size of your regular foot and leg). Then a cast after a couple of weeks, although I'm going right into a boot. Depends on your doctor.
Back to the scooter...there are some things you can't put a price on. I am by no means well off. I have been saving for this surgery for 3 years as I am off work with no pay. But this recovery period is not a whole lot of fun. Anything to be less frustrated, more independent and more comfortable is well worth it in my book.

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (10-07-2012)
Old 10-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #8
(female)

I definitely hear what you are saying about the crutches! I just called my insurance company and they may cover the cost of the knee walker and a shower chair as durable medical equipment. I need to have a prescription from my doctor, but it sounds promising. That would be a blessing! If they don't cover it, I will just buy one. It definitely sounds like it's well worth the money. I've seen them on Amazon and eBay for $220 or so.

Thanks for the info on the shower. If I can manage to get my hair washed, I know I'll feel better.

Love your quote: Anything to be less frustrated, more independent and more comfortable is well worth it in my book.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Hi LabGimp! I had surgery back in April and the knee walker has been a savior! I bought my knee walker from a popular auction website for $200. I figured I would go ahead and buy one. If I bought it I figured I could get some of my money back on it where as if I rent one, I am just out that money. My one suggestion on the knee walker is always get off the walker on the same side as your good leg. Never cross over the seat. I tried that and fell flat on my face.

In regards to showering, I was allowed to shower just as soon as I felt up to it as long as I kept my cast covered. I was lucky and my mom surprised me with a shower chair. HAHA Best gift I think she's given me aside from life itself. In the past when I had a knee surgery, I used a plastic patio chair in the shower and it did just as good.

Take care and I wish you the best for a speedy recovery!!!

Old 10-08-2012, 03:15 PM   #10
(female)

Thanks LadyKanner! Good advice on how to dismount the walker. No need for face plants! I'm pretty excited about the knee walker. I've already been told at work that I will be made fun of. I said "I would expect no less." lol.

I'm going to try to get a real shower chair, but if I don't, it's good to know that the patio chair will work. So my husband isn't totally crazy after all. Well, actually that's still debatable...

I ordered a bedpan, too, so I wouldn't HAVE to get out of bed in the middle of the night just to pee. Oh, the joys of getting older.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

They will all be jealous of your scooter (especially if there are boys...and I don't say men cuz when it comes to that stuff they are all 9 years old). Just wait...it goes fast on hard surfaces...carpet is a workout...you will be the queen bee.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I have a large magnetic flower on the front of my basket. Keep saying I'm going to get a bell and streamers. Former coworker offered to put a motor on it. Lol

Old 10-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #13
(female)

JoyJS HB User
Smile Re: Surgery set for 10/18/12: Peroneal Tendon Subluxation, Debridement

Hi LabGimp,

It is exactly 13 days after my bunionectomy surgery & hammertoe correction and there are a few things I wished I had planned for.

Pre-surgery: Wish I had cut my long hair! It bothered me a great deal that my hair was greasy for the first 2 days after the surgery. One good thing I did though was I washed my hair twice with just shampoo and no conditioner.
Food-wise, I wished I had bought more food that I love. Yes I bought some ready-made meals since I thought my husband would appreciate that. Yes he cooks but one less thing for him to do (like starting every meal from scratch) was really a welcome idea.

If you can, ask the help of a very close friend or family member who can help you when hubby goes back to work.

Medication: please please make sure you have them ready the day before your surgery. When you go home from surgery, that evening you will be starting on your meds.

Bathing post-surgery: you will definitely need the help of hubby or friend or family member. You simply cannot take the risk of getting your foot wet. I bought the foot cast & bandage protector and guess what, I didn't use it. I am just not psyched to insert it on my foot with all the bandage. Instead, I used lots of saran-wrap- I didn't care if I almost finished the whole box of it- just didn't want my foot wet (infection!).

I hope this helps......... good luck and keep in touch!

Thanks,
Joy JS

The Following User Says Thank You to JoyJS For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (10-10-2012)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:57 PM   #14
(female)

Ginger & LadyKanner - Lol! I told one of the "boys" I work with that I was getting a scooter, and after I described it further, he was very disappointed it wasn't motorized. He thought I was going to be in a Hover-round or Rascal type deal. I told him I'd be literally "scooting" myself along. I figure I'm going to have one buff awesome left leg and one puny scrawny right leg! Love the flower on the basket!

My hair isn't very long or thick (think cornsilk). I can probably sink wash it with the veggie sprayer, if I have to.

Joy JS - Thank you for the tips! Those are some good ones. I'm still waiting on my cast cover, but I figure I'll use it AFTER my 2-week NWB period. I agree that it seems like it will be too tender before that. I was going to use a garbage bag during my sensitive time, but I like the idea of saran wrap. I'll definitely have my meds ready to go! And I've whined enough about food (and non-cooking husband) at work that I think a few people will take pity on me and bring a meal or two!

Still hunting for a shower chair. Goodwill didn't have any. Think I may have to break down and buy a new one. I can live with that.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

You might check local churches for shower chairs. Some have medical equipment they loan out. Even a habitat for humanity store or salvation army
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread