Peroneal Tendonitits - What difference will a MRI make?
Does anyone have experience with peroneal tendon problems that don't show up on an MRI?
I just got an order yesterday from my OS for a MRI on both ankles. I sprained one (the bad foot) the end of July. The other one (the good foot) has suffered as a result of 18 mos of problems with the other; peroneal tendonitis, I think.
The bad foot has been been sprained multiple times. Last year I sprained it 2X, the 2nd with bone chips/malleoleous fracture. Ended up having it debrided 6 mos. later. Had 4 good months before this sprain. The recent sprain has progressed to a point. I can walk on it too a point, and was able to do about a 1/2 mile on it. I've done about 8 weeks of PT and am out of the brace. Still have nagging pain under the bone, generally goes from posterior to anterior with exercise.
The good foot has a pinching type pain under the bone toward the back, which showed up shortly after I sprained the other one due to my limping. Same thing happened last year. Previously, this was treated with a brace & PT with little effect; it finally got better when I quit compensating/limping in the spring. B/C of that doc skipped directly to cortisone this trip. Nothing.
Things were slowly progressing until I did a 3/4 mile walk last weekend and are now in the toilet. The good foot is BAD. Bad foot is swelling from compensating. Up to that point I had been walking around a 1/2 mile or about 6 blocks without too much trouble. Not completely pain free, but not bad. It seemed like time to move up. Apparently not.
So now Doc is thinking tendons instead of ligments and wants pictures. I've not had good luck with MRIs. They have never shown anything. I still had problems, they just didn't show up. I agreed to them to move this along, but I'm wondering what will be done differently if the MRIs come back clean vice dirty? If there's a tear, unless it's a bad one, I'm probalby going to end up in a boot for 6 weeks, right? Since I obviously still have a problem even if the MRI is clean, I'm probably looking at 6 weeks in a boot. I was OK yesterday, today I'm wondering why I'm waiting 3 weeks for MRI results when the outcome will probably be the same. Am I completely off base thinking this?