It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2012, 06:37 AM   #1
(male)

Gallimi HB User
Unhappy Failed laminectomy

Two weeks ago I had laminectomy to eliminate foot pain. After one week the pain returned and is worse. I also have spasms in my back anytime I make the slightest turnis it possible this will improve in the coming weeks or is this first signs of failed operation that is likely to get worse. Any ideas on how to manage? So far all I've done is walk.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User
Re: Failed laminectomy

Gallimi,

My sympathies to you as I've had 6 spine surgeries and can understand what you're going through.

First of all, while you feel pain in your foot, the pain is actually being causedby nerves being pinched in your back, and therefore the back forum board would be a better place to ask this question and get good answers.

It can take a long time for nerves to settle down after having a back surgery. . . a very long time. However, you shouldn't be in excrutiating pain after having back surgery. It would be worthwhile to call your doctor's nurse and speak to them about your situation to see if they think it's normal or not. They know the right questions to ask you, and can determine whether you just need more time or need to see the doctor sooner than you're scheduled.

Regarding failed back surgery, that's typically caused when scar tissue develops after a surgery. However, I've heard before that scar tissue mainly develops between weeks 3-12 post op, so you don't have that yet. Be sure for the next few months that you do a lot of walking and leg lifts (sit down and keep lifting your foot up and down while leaving your knee where it is, then from time to time when you have your leg lifted pump your foot up and down while keeping your leg straight out and your ankle still). This is known as nerve root flossing and it will help break up any scar tissue that is forming around your nerve roots so they hopefully won't get tangled in the future with scar tissue.

Best wishes!

The Following User Says Thank You to twohands For This Useful Post:
Gallimi (10-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread