It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 03:59 AM   #1
(female)

marbor HB User
ptt surgery exercises

Hi everyone
I had ptt surgery five months ago and am back in a normal shoe - well, sort of, 'cos my foot and ankle are still swollen. I've been back to work as a primary school teacher for eight weeks.
My doctor did not recommend physiotherapy at all. He said he was happy with my progress - that it would take about twelve months to recover fully, and that the swelling would gradually improve. He also said no long walks yet and no running ever again.
I've been incapacitated for three years now and haven't been able to exercise. I'd now like to go back to the gym and wondered if anyone else who'd had this operation (tendon replaced, heel with two screws) has done the same thing. I wonder what sort of exercises I should avoid.
Thanks.

Last edited by marbor; 10-09-2012 at 04:01 AM.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:43 AM   #2
(female)

sumatra22 HB User
Re: ptt surgery exercises

Hi Marbor. I wish I could offer advice, but I'm only 8 weeks post-op for the same surgery. Great to hear that you are recovering well and back on your feet, literally! Even though your doctor doesn't recommend PT, I would consider telling him you would prefer it, for the reasons you stated. I haven't had any scheduled as of yet, probably not for a few weeks. But I'll gladly share some recommendations that they make at that point. I'm in the same boat, it's been a long time since the problem began, and my body has suffered all around. I can't wait to be in a shoe, and able to exercise more.

I wonder if aqua aerobics would be good. Even just walking from one end of a pool to the other would probably be a great exercise for you, if a pool is availalble!

Good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
(female)

Minnh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by marbor View Post
Hi everyone
I had ptt surgery five months ago and am back in a normal shoe - well, sort of, 'cos my foot and ankle are still swollen. I've been back to work as a primary school teacher for eight weeks.
My doctor did not recommend physiotherapy at all. He said he was happy with my progress - that it would take about twelve months to recover fully, and that the swelling would gradually improve. He also said no long walks yet and no running ever again.
I've been incapacitated for three years now and haven't been able to exercise. I'd now like to go back to the gym and wondered if anyone else who'd had this operation (tendon replaced, heel with two screws) has done the same thing. I wonder what sort of exercises I should avoid.
Thanks.

Hi,
I just read your post and I am curious as to how you are doing today. I am facing the same surgery and it terrifies me. I have put it off for 3 years but my foot pain is significantly worse and my Dr. Is now recommending it. I understand the recovery is long and slow. Would you do it over again if you had the choice?
Thanks for any advice you can give me.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
(female)

sumatra22 HB User

I'm surprised you haven't gotten any responses. My PT starts on 11/26/12, at that point I will be 15-weeks post op. I'll let you know what we talk about for the short/long term!

Old 11-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I wish I had a response for you. I have not had any experience with your procedure and don't want to tell you the wrong thing. One thing my doctor had me start doing was to sit with your feet up and write the alphabet in the air with your toes. That works on mobility and range of motion. It is nothing too abrasive where you could injure yourself.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread

Tags
ptt surgery recovery