It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Independence and dignity restored.

I took a shower all by myself today! It wasn't pretty and took about 45 minutes but I feel so much better inside and out. Incisions are still only 2 weeks old so I didn't do much but give my foot a rinse. Only uh-oh was when I whacked the inside of my foot (right on the incision ) on the handlebar of my scooter. No harm no foul though. I got my hair dried, emptied the dishwasher and plan to spend the rest of the day on the couch. Have a great day everyone!
Ginger

Old 10-10-2012, 09:00 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User
Re: Independence and dignity restored.

Congratulations! That first shower really makes you feel like a new person.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 09:22 AM   #3
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

That is a wonderful milestone! It does get easier -- I found that it took a long time initially in part because I was unsure how I would maneuver without hurting myself, but once I did it a few times I gained more confidence. Way to go!

Dits

Old 10-10-2012, 10:38 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

twohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB Usertwohands HB User

That's awesome, Ginger62! What a wonderful way to start your day.

Old 10-10-2012, 10:54 AM   #5
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Awesome! we are both doing well t oday, I must say. My ankle is getting kinda sore from the walking today so I think I will take a break. You do the best you can and then its time to rest. I loved being able to shower alone. It does make you feel better about yourself. It is so hard to count on your family to help with personal things like that. Have a great afternoon, night, paula

Old 10-10-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
(female)

sumatra22 HB User

Congratulations Ginger! It's a great feeling to feel comfortable enough that you can be independent. Keep it up!

Old 10-10-2012, 01:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Paula, I know right? My mom was ill earlier this year and needed a lot of help at home. I think it was awkward for both of us at first, but after a bit, you realize that parts are parts. If you're the younger person...you're gonna look just like that sooner than you think. If you're the older, accept that those days are gone and realize that with all the droops and sags comes the wisdom not to give a crap.
Glad you had a good day! I think you are on the tail end of your journey, friend. Seems not long ago I was reading "17 days til surgery" and wishing my surgery was only 17 days away.
Ginger

Old 10-10-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Ginger, I took care of my mom for the last two years of her life. It was so hard to see her suffer and we got way past the embarrasment factor real early on. God I miss her. Any of you folks that still have your moms treasure your time with her. In my case my mom died at 67 way too young and there will never be a better friend never will I have such unconditional love. She has been gone 15 yrs and I still cry when I think about her!
This journey has been interesting I"ll say that. But it would have been horrible without my friends here. What a gift. I am coming towards the end of this phase but I dont want to lose my contact with all of you. Seems like I share more with you than my family these days crazy huh? I am getting nervous now thinking about your experience with pt ginger but I am ready to give em hell if they hurt me. I am not known for being shy! Far from it. Good night . Paula

Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Excited for you Ginger! That feels so good! I felt so alive after my first shower. Had a quick reality check when I realized my foot still hurt but it at least made yourself feel better.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread