It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
(female)

DJP81609 HB User
When did people start driving a car again after having a Right calcaneal osteotomy?

Hello all I am fairly new to this... I had a calcaneal osteotomy, cotton osteotomy, and some tendon work on August 24, 2012. So, I am going on 7 weeks post-op.. It has been a long 7 weeks as I am also a single mom of a 3 yr old.. Call me crazy, but it had to be done, as I was having so much pain in doing simple tasks and going to work.. Anyway, I was wondering if I could ask for input as to when people started driving a car after this kind of surgery. I have a lot going on and need to drive!! Also, have to get back to work.. Please, help!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-11-2012, 08:08 PM   #2
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: When did people start driving a car again after having a Right calcaneal osteotom

Hey there,
I had calcaneus reconstruction surgery on my right foot on August 23, so i'm right on par with your time line.

At my appointment on Sept. 25, I asked about driving and I was told it was fine as long as it was an automatic car.

I then was able to handle a 7 hour drive, by myself. I stopped once or twice to put my foot up and let the blood drain, but it didn't hurt much at all.

I would ask your doctor if you can drive again. Mine was really receptive to letting me drive again as soon as I asked.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 02:09 AM   #3
(female)

wants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB Userwants to walk HB User
Re: When did people start driving a car again after having a Right calcaneal osteotom

I was probably about 13 weeks post op but I was NWB in a casts for 10 weeks, had screw removed then and moved into an aircast. It was a few weeks after that when I was doing very well at partial weight bearing that I drove. I tested it out first as I needed to take off the aircast, wear a large slipper then put the aircast back on when I parked. I needed to feel comfortable enough to know I could SLAM on the brakes if needed. I tested it out through a small quiet neighbourhood for a while...start and stopping, hitting the brakes hard to see how I felt.

The Following User Says Thank You to wants to walk For This Useful Post:
DJP81609 (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 AM   #4
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I just realized that I responded when i was sleep and mixed up my left and right foot. I had reconstruction on my LEFT foot. Which is why I was able to drive.

Sorry for the confusion, I think I had taken my pain killer and then logged on.

HOW EMBARRASSING! Who mixes up left and right...Well, I'm sheepish.

The Following User Says Thank You to AdkLizard46 For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (10-12-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Liz, were you in a boot and driving? I've resigned myself to not driving til the 12 week mark but maybe there is hope for earlier?
Hahaha! Dang it! Just read your addendum! I was all excited! No driving for me.

Old 10-12-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
(female)

Yeah, sorry about that. I learned my lesson about taking Vicodin and then answering postings. I've never been good about the difference between my left and right....OOPS!

Good luck getting to drive again soon. Once you start bearing a little bit of weight, you might be able to start. Keep pestering your doctor about it, about a time line.

Good luck!

Old 10-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
(female)

DJP81609 HB User

Thank you all for your responses I start partial weight-bearing at 9 weeks post-op, so I should probably wait until then.. and to talk to my doctor. My next appt is Oct. 26. I just NEED to get out of this house and I also need to find a new home as i live on the 3rd floor right now.. I feel like a prisoner in my own home

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: DJP81609
AdkLizard46 (10-12-2012), ginger62 (10-14-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 04:41 AM   #8
(female)

marble94 HB Usermarble94 HB Usermarble94 HB User

I was about 12 weeks post op when I started to drive again. I had my son with me just incase he needed to take over. Wouldn't you know my first time driving and someone barely stopped for the stop sign and pulled right out in front of me. I had to slam on the breaks and barely avoided hitting them.

My advice is to take someone with you just incase, start with short distances, and be ready if you need to slam on the breaks!

Good luck and speedy recovery.

The Following User Says Thank You to marble94 For This Useful Post:
DJP81609 (10-13-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 08:40 AM   #9
(female)

DJP81609 HB User

Good morning people I am feeling optimistic this morning, a feeling I haven't felt in quite some time... A friend is coming over today to get us out of the house I am pretty happy, actually.. I am also going to try and drive around the neighborhood. I really have no choice at this point.. The sun is shining so I will be grateful that I woke up healthy and with a healthy and happy lil boy Hope everyone else is hanging in there and feeling ok.. Have a good day all and I really appreciate conversation from all of you. Thanks so much...

Old 10-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User

I am three months post op to repair a fractured right calcaneus, and started driving about two weeks ago. My doctor said to wait until I was walking, but I was about 80% wb and decided to try it with my hubby in the car, in a large abandoned parking lot. Things went OK, so I tried driving back streets with my Mom in the car, around the neighborhood. Then I had to attend an event in downtown Denver and the place had valet parking, so I got brave and drove to and from downtown during rush hour. So far, so good. I don't try to drive with my air boot, but I have a lace-up cloth brace to wear under a shoe and that's how I drive. If you can get to a parking lot or other large space and practice, you should be able to tell how well you can handle it. Just remember that you may not be covered by insurance if anything happens; you might want to check with your doc and/or insurance company about that. Good luck.

Closed Thread