It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-12-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
(female)

Cleocat HB User
Smile Advice wanted

Hi guys
i am totally new to all of this and have never joined a forum before - I don't even know what i am meant to put in the title box !!
Anyway i am now almost two weeks passed having had a right ankle cheilectomy and scope and 1st MTP (?? ) i believe this means that as well as sorting my ankle, my right big toe is now straighter and pinned. The toe and ankle are still bandaged although the stitches are now out. I am a teacher and need to know when I will be able to drive and be able to be on my feet all day.
I hope this doesn't sound like a whine and I know this sort of surgery is neither major or life threatening; however, this was possibly the most painful operation i have ever had I and the first week after was truly awful. The post-op pain was unbelievable and although I have crutches and a 'blue'boot for my foot I am still in a lot of discomfort and just would like some idea of how long a full recovery will take and how much longer i might be off work. Also should i be doing some exercises ? I have not been given any exercises at all and no information to bring home from the hospital. Any help, advice or support would be welcome and much appreciated.
margaret

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 01:19 PM   #2
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: Advice wanted

Welcome to the board! This is a great place to get answers big and small.

Look into getting a knee scooter for the time while you are non-weight bearing. I just recently got one and all of the teacher friends I have have gotten one and it saved them.

I would talk to your doctor before doing any exercises, just to make sure you are cleared. You don't want to end up doing more damage.

Good luck with everything!

liz

The following user gives a hug of support to AdkLizard46:
Ravenette (10-14-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-12-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
(female)

Cleocat HB User

Liz
thank you so much for getting back to me; I really appreciate it - this is the first forum I have ever joined. I was totally unprepared for the post op pain, the problems with painkillers and the degree of immobility that i was in after the op. It was so bad that for the first time ever in my life I felt that I actively had to find some support and this is the result. So from 'across the pond' a big thank you. I can't yet see the end in sight, but I don't feel so isolated. many thanks, margaret

The following 4 users give hugs of support to: Cleocat
AdkLizard46 (10-12-2012), Ditsy1 (10-14-2012), ginger62 (10-14-2012), prico54 (10-13-2012)
Old 10-12-2012, 02:10 PM   #4
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I totally understand feeling isolated. I was thrust into this suddenly. I had a nasty accident that left me completely bedridden for about 8 weeks, and I'm still working on getting out and about a bit more often. It's going slow, but you will start to see little things getting better. This certainly is a roller coaster. It's about weathering the downs and enjoying the ups.

Getting painkillers under control was one of the hardest things for me as well. That and having to be inside forever it seems. Good luck with it all. I've found this is a wonderful board to whine and cry and vent. Check out the thread "wish me luck", the girls there are great.

Liz

Old 10-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #5
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

It is really a lonely thing to be homebound while everyone around you goes on with their lives. Cant blame them but it is great to have a place like this to come for support. We are all in this together. Paula

The following user gives a hug of support to prico54:
Cleocat (10-14-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to prico54 For This Useful Post:
Cleocat (10-14-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 10:55 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

The Knee Walker is the greatest thing ever! It gives some of your independence back. It is a tough recovery both mentally and physically. I was very unprepared for the mental toll it has taken on me. This forum has been great! Everyone is so supportive, understanding and helpful.

Take care and I wish you a speedy recovery!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
Cleocat (10-14-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
Cleocat (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 02:59 AM   #7
(female)

Cleocat HB User
Thumbs up Re: Advice wanted

Kimberly
than you for your post. I will be investigating the knee walker straightaway. To know that you and others - complete strangers to me - have taken the trouble to reply with supportive advice is hugely moving. The generosity shown by all who contribute to these forums is remarkable. This is the first forum site I have ever joined and although I did not expect anyone to read my message the replies I have had, have made me smile. made me feel less isolated and less sorry for myself and most importantly, to feel grateful to all who take the time to be friends.
I hope that you, and all who are recovering from injuries, illness, aches and pains, are making positive progress.
Good luck and with some luck I have also managed to post you a 'hug'
margaret

Old 10-14-2012, 06:02 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Cleocat, I'm glad you're finding support on the board. Everyone here is the best. I had trouble with the painkillers too. They just aren't taken in my family. But you need to heal, and to heal you need to sleep. To sleep, very often you need to take the pain pills. And you need to stay on top of it to keep it under control. I was going to stop taking them after 2 days because the pain had subsided somewhat. However, it comes roaring back when you least expect it so keep them handy. Of course you don't want to overdo it on them, but your body will let you know when they are necessary.
Keep posting. There is loads of good advice here, everyone has been in a similar situation. Best of luck!

The following user gives a hug of support to ginger62:
Cleocat (10-14-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
Cleocat (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
(female)

I can totally relate to the going from working to being stuck inside faster than you can blink an eye. I was working, teaching a rock climbing class. I wasn't even supposed to be teaching that day, I was covering for someone else. I had gone through the whole first period without an incident. We did call for last climbs, and a girl needed me to climb for her. I did, and I was dropped 25 feet. The class was over in 10 minutes. but I never saw the end of it. I was transferred to two hospitals, and spent 5 days there. Obviously couldn't go back to work, and had to quit the other job I was about to switch to in 3 weeks. Spent 6 weeks on full bedrest, having to keep my foot basically above my head because it was so swollen. It took a month after the incident for me to get surgery. When I did finally go under the knife, it took 4.5 hours to put all the pieces in my heel back together. I just recently got cleared to start putting weight on my foot in the boot, but it hurts and there is no PT in sight.

But despite all that, I look back and realize that while I'm not same as I was on July 29 (the day before the accident), I've made a lot of progress since July 30.

Its a roller coaster. I still cry. Little things will cause me to tear up, big things send me into a fit. Then other days, I'm just fine. I managed to drive myself 6.5 hours to a wedding last weekend, and on my knee scooter, even dance a little at the reception. I'm able to get through my house to the real bathroom more often and actually take a real shower. I'm going out on an adventure today. It's the little things. The honeymoon phase is over...people don't think you need the help as much, they think it's been 3 months, you should be healed by now. But you aren't. But we keep going.

We keep going. Good luck.

The following user gives a hug of support to AdkLizard46:
Ditsy1 (10-14-2012)
Old 10-14-2012, 09:41 AM   #10
(female)

Very quickly, two quotes from Alice In Wonderland (the book) that I have found to be most inspirational:

“I could tell you my adventures—beginning from this morning,” said Alice a little timidly; “but it’s no use going back to yesterday, because I was a different person then.”

and

“I wonder if I've been changed in the night. Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!”

Old 10-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I can't say it enough how much I appreciate the people on this forum. It is so easy to feel sorry for ourselves it is comforting to know we are not alone. I got my knee walker from a popular auction website for $200. If you're only using for a small amount of time you can rent them from medical supply stores. It's a pretty pricey rental. For what two months rental cost I was able to buy mine which I am glad I did because I had a set back and wound up needing it double the time I had planned. Two months renting would have mine paid for so I am glad I purchased. I will be able to sell it when I am done. I wish you a speedy recovery!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread