It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2012, 02:53 AM   #1
(female)

Trishdoubleh HB User
Question Pain relief

Hello. I'm 4 weeks post-op from my Calcaneus fracture ORIF. I was charted for morphine (as much as 20mg every half an hour) for the week I spent at the hospital. Upon discharge, I was prescribed 10mg of morphine up to 4 times a day. I've been conservative with the pain relief and really trying to build up my pain threshold. I've managed to only take it once at night before bed, if that, this last week. I still wake up in tears from the shooting and throbbing pain in the middle of the night. My doctor was clear at the last follow-up that she won't be prescribing me anymore morphine and I will have to only use acetaminophen. I still have moderate pain throughout the day and every night. Is this normal? Are her expectations of me to manage my pain with just acetaminophen realistic? Im still non-weight bearing and I can't even begin to imagine the level of pain I'll have when I start to try walking on my foot - especially with both my legs relatively atrophied.

How have everyone been managing their pain? What are the most effective pain relief available? Are there supplements that I can take to help ease my pain?

Thanks for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

Whynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB UserWhynowthis HB User
Re: Pain relief

Hi! I'm a chronic pain patient for a rare disease of my spinal cord. The BEST over the counter pain relief I've found is called Cobroxin oral spray. Essentially it's cobra venom. But IT WORKS!!!! To me it works as well at relieving pain as narcotics!! But no side effects!!
Research it! You may need to order it online though, as most pharmacies don't carry it, or if they do, it's only the gel. I've tried both and the oral spray works best. Also, it takes a few days to build up in your system to start working but when it does, it's AMAZING!!! Research it, and try it!!!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Whynowthis For This Useful Post:
LisaLouLou (10-17-2012), Trishdoubleh (10-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-17-2012, 12:28 PM   #3
(male)

paremo HB User

At 4 weeks do everything your doctor tells you and take your pain meds as directed.Drink plenty of water to flush your kidneys add a litlle dandelion drops in it helps the liver.Keep the foot elevated at all times and keep it iced as much as possible.At ten months I'm still seeing my p.t and have good and bad days.This is a very slow fracture to heal from.I know people who have had knee and hip surgery and have made a full recovery since I had my orif.So be easy on yourself it will take time, all the best.

Old 10-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I'm about 7 weeks out from my surgery--or there abouts, it was on 8/24 (ORIF complete reconstruction of a destroyed calc and subtalar joint), and I still have to occasionally take pain meds. I stopped taking morphine about 2 weeks after my surgery and was switched to percoset. I was taking one right before I went to bed, and waking up and taking another to get me through the rest of the night. I didn't take anything during the day.

Now I have a prescription for Vicodin, but I'm trying not to take it. I haven't for the last 2 nights. Last night I needed to sleep, so I took some Tylenol PM, which worked well.

I just started to be partial weight bearing, working up to full weight bearing by Thanksgiving. So far the pain with bearing weight hasn't been bad, but I've been scared to really push it, but the little i've done hasn't been bad.

I should also probably note that I'm a bit of a wuss when it comes to pain...my pain scale is a bit off, which is probably why I'm still taking meds. I've made it 2 nights without the Vics, and i think its not more mental than physical need for the narcotic pain meds.

Good luck!

Old 10-17-2012, 01:49 PM   #5
(male)

Mr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB User

I was on Percocet for 10 days following my foot surgery - hated the side effects so my Dr. prescribed Tramadol. It did well with pain, but did not have all the goofy side effects that most narcotics have.

You may want to ask your Dr. about it??

Good luck!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Blotto For This Useful Post:
Trishdoubleh (10-17-2012)
Old 10-18-2012, 12:42 AM   #6
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User

trish, ask your doctor if you can try Tramadol. It works pretty well for me and is less addictive than other pain meds. In my opinion, your doctor should be helping you with pain management.

Old 10-20-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Agreed! Tramadol is worth checking into.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Reply Reply

Tags
calcaneal, calcaneal orif, calcaneus, heel, pain relief