It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 06:18 AM   #1
(female)

ayerb HB User
? additional surgery to remove pins ?

Hi - 10 months post surgery for double calcaneus fracture and left ankle surgery with 4 pins. PT guy says I can't make any more progress because the "pins severely restrict flexion." Stairs especially are a big problem and generally walking is stiff and kind of like a robot. I'd appreciate any comments on whether this is a good idea - how long recovery is - whether you or someone you know has done it - etc. Thanks a lot. This message board has been very helpful to me during recoverty process,

Old 10-26-2012, 07:02 AM   #2
(female)

jessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB Userjessi404 HB User
Re: ? additional surgery to remove pins ?

Hello ayerb,

I would contact your orthopedic or whoever did the surgery. Make sure the bone the pins are in is healed.

In my case, for example, I have two pins into the talus bone. The talus bone completely healed up and blood supply returned the that bone. The pins are no longer necessary. However, the orthopedic surgeon said they aren't hindering anything (in your case...they are), so he won't remove them. However, I have had a fusion done on my lower joint of the same ankle the two pins are in the talus bone, and now there's two MORE pins in there, (making 4), to help fuse the lower joint together. My ortho said he will remove the pins, the fusion pins later on when needed, or not at all depending on whether the bone fuses correctly. He said if they aren't getting in the way there's no need to remove them.

Healing time, I asked just so I knew, he said it wouldn't be as long as it was for the talus break and the fusion....close to 6 months for talus break and close to 8 weeks for the fusion. I don't know anything other then that.

I hope I helped a bit.

If not, I'm sorry.

~Jessi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
(male)

paremo HB User
Re: ? additional surgery to remove pins ?

Kinda in the same boat, my ortho says I would benifit very little from having my 10 pins and plate removed.My P.T belives if I gained only a few degrees from having my hardware removed it would help me alot.Either way they wait a year after surgery before the will remove anything.My DR. has also mentioned the need for a subtalur fusion op. if my range of motion and progress did not increase,this I am trying to avoid..

Closed Thread

Tags
ankle, foot surgery, pins