It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 09:15 AM   #1
(female)

tkibb4906 HB User
Cortisone shot at base of the toe on right foot.

After injuring my foot a year ago, I have had significant pain and swelling continuously. After an x-ray and bone scan showed up a swollen joint, doctor recommended a cortisone shot because medications were not working. Waiting for MRI, so thought this would temporarily help. OMG....had cortisone shot yesterday, and since freezing wore off, I have been in excruciating pain. Haven"t been able to sleep because of the throbbing pain. Not sure if this is normal or what? Anyone else have the same problem?

Old 10-26-2012, 01:40 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User
Re: Cortisone shot at base of the toe on right foot.

Don't panic yet-Cortisone injections often cause an increase in pain for a day before it gets better. The usual course-injection causes inc. pain day 1, day 2, pain is more like before injection, day 3 some improvement is noted and gets better after that.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
tkibb4906 (10-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
(female)

tkibb4906 HB User

Thank you!!! Not sure what is going on, but in so much pain. Doctor phoned me today and told me to try taking one of my husbands oxy pills. Needless to say, didn't take the pain away.

Old 10-26-2012, 03:06 PM   #4
(female)

tkibb4906 HB User
Unhappy Re: Cortisone shot at base of the toe on right foot.

On day 2 and pain is still worse than before the injection. Swelling has increased to the point of not being able to put on a simple flip-flop sandal. Talked to doc who advised if this continues until tomorrow to get to the emergency room. Possible IV antibiotics.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:28 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

If your foot is swelling where it wasn't before, you could be bleeding inside, which would usually cause it to look very bruised, it could be an allergic reaction to a preservative in the medication solution, which would generally cause a deep itching, or an infection, which would cause redness and heat, but this seems too soon for an infection. I would apply ice in case it is bleeding, elevate your foot, and get it checked tomorrow. A cortisone injection should not cause new swelling. I would also avoid aspirin, ibuprofen or any antiinflammatories that cause increased bleeding tendencies if it looks at all bruised. You didn't say which joint is involved but the amount of pain could suggest gout. I would be sure to ask for a blood test for uric acid when you are seen tomorrow. Gout affects usually the big toe joint or the instep of the foot and is excruciating. The shot may have aggravated it and there are specific meds that are used to treat gout.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
tkibb4906 (10-26-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 10:09 PM   #6
(female)

tkibb4906 HB User

Just got back from the hospital, and am being treated for infection. Also received a shot of morphine for pain. Knock on wood, the antibiotics will work.

The following user gives a hug of support to tkibb4906:
xerx790 (10-27-2012)
Reply Reply