It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User
Doc says don't need PT after surgery. Huh?

I am now 9 days post op from having my surgery (see signature below for procedure). I am still NWB and will be for another 5 days for a total of 2 weeks NWB. At my 2 week post op appt, I will go into a fracture boot and will be FWB as tolerated, using crutches (and of course, my trusty scooter).

I asked my doc at my pre-op appt about PT (physical therapy). He said I wouldn't really need PT, just walk on it, and it would be fine.

What do you think? PT necessary or not?

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 10-27-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: Doc says don't need PT after surgery. Huh?

I can't remember...has your gait been interrupted since your accident? If the surgery was to address the pain then I think you'd be okay with no PT. But if you've been walking "wrong" for years...that'd be another story.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-27-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

I probably have been walking "wrong" for years. My car accident was in 1976 and I broke my right femur and ankle. I was put into traction for 6 weeks for the femur and a short leg cast below where the pin went through my tibia for my broken ankle. After that, I went into a hip spica cast (wrapped all the way around my torso & all down my right leg). I wasn't supposed to walk in the hip spica cast, but I insisted. I didn't want to spend another 6 weeks flat on my back. I was 19 so pretty antsy to get moving and out of the hospital.

I had PT to learn to walk in the hip spica cast with crutches, but I think walking in that big honkin' cast permanently threw my gait off. I've limped ever since, moreso when I'm tired. I have gotten massage therapy for the past several years, and I think that has really loosened up muscles that were in the wrong position for years. Thank goodness for a good massage therapist.

So I guess PT for my ankle might be a bit pointless. I know I'm supposed to do clockwise and counter-clockwise circles with my foot. Also "write the alphabet" with my big toe. But PT for my off kilter gait would be a whole 'nother kettle of fish. Hmmm.

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 10-27-2012, 01:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

maggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB Usermaggietaz HB User

Just my POV- but I had PT after both of my peronel tendon repairs and groove deepenings- your ankle really stiffens up while the tendon is healing. I didn't have PT until after week 5. Two weeks NWB- 4 weeks WB in boot and then a lace up brace for another 6 weeks and did PT for awhile. I don't think I would have had a successful outcome without the PT.

The Following User Says Thank You to maggietaz For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (10-27-2012)
Old 10-27-2012, 03:45 PM   #5
(female)

loki2012 HB Userloki2012 HB User

[COLOR="Magenta"]My dr told me PT was optional but she highly recommended it so that i will get full range of motion back in my foot. I would advise you ask your dr to right a script for PT so that way you get help to regain full mobility with no problems. JMO

Reply Reply