It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: Adding to the joys of walking...

Liz, you can come down and teach hang gliding and kayaking, climb the sand dunes when you feel like it. Everyone else can come work at my store. We'll be like the "island of misfit toys".

Old 11-05-2012, 07:04 PM   #17
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

We would have to find someone who could do the lifting and carrying for us. I vote for someone really good looking and that likes to do laundry, dishes, fetch pain meds, run errands, cooks, cleans and always keeps our glasses full. Oh and extra bonus if he thinks canes, crutches and boots are hot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-05-2012, 09:59 PM   #18
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

HAHA You're a hoot! I am walking now so I can carry some things! I just was reading an article on arthrodesis revisions. Oh the joys of life!
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-06-2012, 09:59 AM   #19
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

Ok Ladies, Can I come and join the misfit society at Ginger's commune? I am relied on to do most everything concerning housework, cooking, cleaning, shopping, laundry (that is downstairs). I understand my husband is busy and works a lot to provide for me, but he has no idea the healing time involved in the process. He does not handle sickness well concerning OTHER people, so I kind of felt alone during the whole process. My son seemed to help more and he is 16 and is busy working and going to school.
Ladykanner your boyfriend does need a slap upside the head. I have it easy doing the laundry compared to you and I go down a small flight if stairs.

We do need to have very strong and handsome (firefighter type) men lifting us, doing all our chores, helping with bathing and hair washing (wink, wink)
We all deserve to be in a resort in the Caribbean for months getting well.
I could NEVER imagine my spouse going through this.
Jodi

Old 11-06-2012, 12:37 PM   #20
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Oooh I'm totally in to the commune idea.

There are services out there that supply you with shirtless men to clean your house for you. I think I need one of those. And who would need walking if they could carry you everywhere?

On a more serious note, made it home from my whirlwind trip at about 12:15 last night. Foot isn't too sore, but I haven't been upping my step count. I feel like the little hop steps I do are stupid, so why bother doing them? It doesn't really feel like walking, its more like hopping, and I move sooooo slow. I get there faster by just bunny hopping on my good foot all around the place.

The following user gives a hug of support to AdkLizard46:
xerx790 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 12:47 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Laundry here is on the same floor as everything else. No stairs unless you want to go outside into the big, bad world. Did I mention that I run a drive thru beer and wine store?Employees get stuff at cost!
Liz, baby steps. They all add up. You gotta push through.

Old 11-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #22
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Your commune is sounding better and better each day!

I know I need to take the baby steps before I can walk again. I think everyone else's attitudes are rubbing off on me though. The ones of "oh wow..a step...". I feel like i SHOULD be doing more, but I'm not, and I feel pathetic.

It doesn't help that I have a friend who was in a VERY severe accident (she was riding her horse on a road and a truck delibrately sped up and swerved into her. the horse was killed instantly and she was thrown like 100 feet.) who keeps posting about her own recovery. I know every injury is different, and I am SOO thankful my friend is okay, but it makes me feel weak and like a loser because her injury was much more severe than mine, and she is progressing at what seems to be a much faster rate. I want her to be okay, but I also don't want to feel like a loser. It makes me think, what more can I do if Em is already lifting her legs and being mobile around the house?

Sorry for the rant...

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: AdkLizard46
ginger62 (11-06-2012), LabGimp (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #23
Senior Veteran
(female)

Did they catch the %#€£ that did that to her?

Don't compare yourself to other people. Work at your own pace but try to do a little more very day. I'm going to be sounding just like you in a month or so and then you can rag on me. You know we do it because we love you.

Ginger

The following user gives a hug of support to ginger62:
AdkLizard46 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #24
(female)

I don't think they caught the person. I believe it was a hit and run.

I know not to compare other people's situations to my own, but it's human nature I guess.

I feel like I hoped I would start walking and it would be instantaneous that steps became easier. I realize that's a bunch of hooey, but you know.

I said to my mom earlier today (in a bout of frustration) "I can't believe people will spend months video taping their little toddler taking his first steps, but a 26 year old after a severe accident doesn't even bear watching" (I was angry because I was trying to show her that I was walking. She didn't seem impressed)

Oh well. At least I have you all.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: AdkLizard46
LisaLouLou (11-06-2012), xerx790 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #25
Senior Veteran
(female)

<3 I hope I did that right. I'm not up on all that stuff like the youngsters.

Old 11-06-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

OK, Liz, first of all, you are NOT NOT NOT pathetic! It takes time to heal from these traumas to our bodies. From what I can see in your little avatar, you have a BIG honkin scar! That's a major assault on your foot and your entire body! One step here, a hop there, it all adds up. Be more patient with yourself. And definitely give some hoots and hollers when you do take a step. You've earned some attention.

If there's anything I've learned having identical twins, it is that two people cannot be compared to one another. Even with identical DNA, every person is different. And we all certainly heal at different rates. (BTW, having 18yo twin girls is a motivation for me to get out of the house--get me outta this place!).

And secondly, I want IN on this commune. Ginger can bring the hooch and we'll have one great big scar party. Bring on the good lookin boy toys to wait on us. I'm lovin this idea!

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-06-2012, 04:43 PM   #27
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

Ok, here is what I'm thinking. I've got a Rogue so I can pick up four other people on my way to Ginger's place. There is room in the back for all of our walking implements. I can cook and Ginger is obviously in charge of beverages. We all have more than enough happy fun pills so that's covered too. Kimberly is in charge of choosing our firefighter type dude since she will be recovering from watching a bunch of grown women go all grrrrr on her boyfriend. Everyone bring comfy clothes because we have no one to impress.

Sound like a plan girls?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Grumpstress For This Useful Post:
ginger62 (11-06-2012), LabGimp (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 04:46 PM   #28
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

I'm SOOOOO in!!!

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-06-2012, 05:00 PM   #29
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdkLizard46 View Post
Sorry for the rant...
You are not ranting and even if you were who cares? The people on this board are the only ones who fully understand. I've run into several people who say something like "you're still using your cane huh?" We'll yeah Bucky I am. Right now I am loving the fact that I can walk even if my gait is more like Quasimodo than fashion model but I'm getting there. I'm thinking "yeah me I'm walking with a cane". But unless you have had to crawl to the restroom you don't appreciate how wonderful those baby steps can be.

Rant away here and if needed swat at the ones who aren't impressed with your fabulous walking skills ala crazy old man yelling at kids to get off his lawn.

The following user gives a hug of support to Grumpstress:
AdkLizard46 (11-06-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to Grumpstress For This Useful Post:
AdkLizard46 (11-06-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #30
Senior Veteran
(female)

Everyone here is just the best. Really. It makes me want to laugh and cry at the same time.
Come on down!

Ginger

Reply Reply