It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 07:46 PM   #31
(female)

orvendr HB User
Re: Adding to the joys of walking...

Wow, I relate so much to all these posts. It's never-ending. My worst story to add is when my landlord told me I was being too lazy, that he was walking after 6 weeks when he broke his leg, and then he grabbed my crutches while I was walking (!), threw them off the balcony (ironic, considering), told me to go walk down and get them. He then went down and got one crutch, and I had to slide on my butt all the way in the grass to the backyard.

No one has any idea how severe this is. Okay, you walk on crutches, big deal. Okay, try making dinner for five on one leg. Or getting in and out of the bathtub. Or putting on pants.

This has definitely made me stronger but I am so sick of it. My goals are centered around my injury, not my education, job, or physical fitness.

The following user gives a hug of support to orvendr:
ginger62 (11-07-2012)
Old 11-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

You girls are such a hoot. I have a Toyota Yaris.. It will probably fit into the back of your Rogue. I am not using any crutches or walking implements right now so that will save some space. That may not be the case a month from now but for the time being that is how it is. I went to the store today and after a trip up and down two aisles in a shoe store my heel felt like it was going to explode. Guess that crunching I had the other day wasn't a good thing. haha At this point he wants me to get strength built up so I am going to keep walking. Can't get any worse. Guess I best get off here and get the ad posted for a hot firefighter.

Take care!!!!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #33
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

My husband has a 4 door Denali pickup truck, I can haul a lot in it, I can haul all of our knee walkers, crutches, canes, mobility carts, shower chairs, and raised toilet seats down to Gingers. I am good at limping around Walmart, so I can do the shopping for all of us.
Ladykanner, then you won't have to worry about going to the store and returning with your ankle double in size or falling down the stairs because your boyfriend cannot do laundry. FYI: I seen some really nice looking firefighters when I was in NYC. (oooh LA LA)
Oh yea, I will do ALL of the laundry of our comfy clothes and inserts of our cam boots and the house cleaning at Gingers, (I am a cleaning fanatic and I am good at scrubbing floors and toilets on my knees, scrubbing showers sitting in my shower chair and hanging off of my knee walker while cleaning windows and reaching to dust ceiling fans as well as ballet dancing around with the knee walker and the vacuum cleaner cord)
I will also bring my left over meds and lots of ice for our swelling!
Jodi

Old 11-07-2012, 12:25 PM   #34
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Y'all wash the insert to your cam boot? I always wear a sock with mine and am not a very sweaty person (and am obviously not a cleaning fanatic). How do you wash it?

Old 11-07-2012, 12:29 PM   #35
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I am doing my laundry today!! He carried my laundry basket down for me and I am walking outside and around to my basement. My basement stairs are very narrow and not safe for me to go down with my boot. I slipped and fell all the way down a year or so ago. Had the largest bruise of my life!! I live in a 4 story townhome. I just walk outside and to the back basement door to do my laundry now that I am in a walking boot. Walmart always has sit and shops! HAHA We can have sit and shop races!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

I take it out and handwash in the sink with laundry soap. I wear a sock too but it still needs cleaned.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #37
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

I put my cam boot insert in the frontloader on gentle cycle, then I hang it to dry. I have an outside cam boot (insurance paid) and bought another one for indoor use since I would be in it a long time. I also wear light white surgical socks over my foot and up to my knee, it is open on both ends. My surgeons office gave me them. They are nice to wear. I do not sweat either but I was told to wash the insert every once in a while.
I am glad your boyfriend carried the laundry down for you today. So his arms are not broke?? Oh my goodness, that is a lot of stairs in a townhouse!
I am fast on the sit and shops, I used one the other day at the grocery store and my son was so embarrassed because when I backed up, it beeped very loud and everyone would look at us. He kept running a way from me, but I always caught up to him. LOL
Jodi

Old 11-07-2012, 01:42 PM   #38
Senior Veteran
(female)

The joy of sit and shops! I feel like it is saying WIDE LOAD alert!!! Have you been stranded out in the store yet when the battery dies? That's a real trip! Feel like they have to page "call the vet! We've got a down cow!" Haha. I have two boots too one I had before surgery and one after.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Reply Reply