HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Adding to the joys of walking... (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/926005-adding-joys-walking.html)

AdkLizard46 11-03-2012 07:51 PM

Adding to the joys of walking...

I know there are some other "walking" threads, but I thought I'd start my own.

About 4 weeks ago I was put into my air boot. I was told I could begin working up to Full Weight, but to go slow and listen to my body. I would NOT be starting Physical Therapy, at least not yet.

It took me about 2 weeks before I was even brave enough to use my walker and keep my foot on the ground weighting it a little. I still had most of my weight on my arms, but didn't lift my foot up.

Then yesterday I decided to see what would happen if I took some unassisted steps. And I did it! I took about 10 little tiny baby steps yesterday, and was able to repeat the experiment! I can still only take little steps, and I don't even know if I can call them real steps. I'm not holding on to anything and my good foot comes up off the ground in a hopping motion. That's a step right?

I'm definitely sore today though, and my foot was swollen last night (It probably is right now as well, but I haven't looked at it yet.). There was also some blood seeping through the incision into the gauze when I looked this morning. I don't know if the walking and the bleeding are correllated though. Does anyone have any ideas? It could just be the gauze rubbing. I don't know.

I'm excited to be starting to walk again, but it's scary how hard it is.

ginger62 11-03-2012 08:05 PM

Re: Adding to the joys of walking....

Liz!
That's so great! I'm happy as can be for you Just think of all the toddlers you see and how quickly they gain confidence once they get that first step out of the way. Please keep posting...I am living vicariously through you, Grumpstress and Jodi.

Ginger

AdkLizard46 11-03-2012 08:23 PM

Thanks Ginger,
Yeah, I get your toddler metaphor, I'm still pretty discouraged with myself. It also doesn't help that I was super excited about walking and all the people I told (I'm at a conference with some grad school friends) were like "Oh cool, that's nifty". Like they were excited for me, but you could tell it was a "wow, you mean you aren't doing that yet. Why is that a big deal? I walk all the time, how long have you been injured?"

My mental state is a bit rough at the moment. Madison, WI is a great walking city and even with my knee scooter, I'm just exhausted. And my friends just don't understand. They are all super helpful, for sure, but...I don't know, it's rough. It's why I'm glad I have you all.

LabGimp 11-03-2012 08:36 PM

Good for you for walking even a little bit! As they say--baby steps!

I just got into my CAM walking boot 2 days ago and I felt brave just touching my foot to the ground for an additional balance point when crutching around. I still plan on using the knee walker as much as possible. Just touching the boot to the ground makes my ankle super sore.

I'm planning to go back to work part time on Monday, and I'm pretty scared!

I used to live in Madison. I'm from that neck of the woods. It's a great city. (eat some cheese curds). I'm proud of you for going to a conference out of state. That takes guts right there! Good for you!

Keep your chin up and look at what you HAVE accomplished. You're making great strides (so to speak). ;)

LisaLouLou 11-03-2012 11:36 PM

Re: Adding to the joys of walking...

Good for you, Liz! I'm not quite there yet, but soon, I hope. The bleeding may be a result of the pressure and swelling from walking; be careful to keep that sterile. You don't want an infection!

Missyluke 11-04-2012 03:22 AM

People who have not had any type of foot surgery do not understand what a big deal it is to take a couple of steps. Congratulations. With walking, it will hurt and it will swell alot. You may experience swelling up to a year post op. It is a fine line of pushing it and listening to your body. But, you body will tell you when it has had enough.

xerx790 11-04-2012 08:54 AM

Adklizard,
Yeah! I am so proud of you taking those steps, I know it is hard. I was not allowed to step until 10 weeks because all of my incisions were pretty much heeled. What week post op are you in? I pushed it too much in therapy and paid the price with pain and swelling. Like Lisa said, maybe since the wounds were not heeled and you could be at a risk for infection. After 10 weeks he now said I could actually hold my foot under water. So they are careful concerning infection with the wounds.
I know all about being discouraged, keep your chin up. Healing after foot surgery is a slow process. The surgeon as so right in telling me 6 months to one year healing time per foot.
I still get scared trying to step and walk. It is not easy! We can all do this, we are are strong bunch! We just need to shuffle one step at a time.
Jodi

AdkLizard46 11-04-2012 08:23 PM

Thanks everyone for all the encouraging words.

I'm 10 weeks (11 weeks on Thursday) post op, so I guess I'm right on target. I was told as well the year of swelling as well as the long time before I'm back to even a normal activity level. I was able to walk around the car today (I'm in a rental car while on my trip and could only put the scooter in behind the passenger seat) but one of the steps hurt worse than the others so I went back to hopping.

Pretty exhausted today. Almost done this trip and then I bet I'll sleep for a week.

Grumpstress 11-05-2012 08:05 AM

Congratulations on baby steps!!! I know all about how hard it is to put your foot down that first time. Hollywood may put out some pretty good horror movies but when it comes to scary they don't have a thing on that first post-op step. Just think, if they could put that in a movie people would be tramatized!

Started walking PWB on Friday and I've made good progress over the weekend. On Friday when I walked about 200 feet I was purple in the face and looked like I was about to pass out. Now I can walk the same distance and except for a little glowing on my face I'm ok. Yesterday we went to Target and another store and when we got home I promptly took a pain pill, put my foot up and declared that I wasn't moving until I went to bed.

You are the best judge of what you can do so do what you can but don't push it. When you get tired, rest. When it starts to hurt, stop. I know that these sound like very simple things but they bear repeating. A lot.

Please take care of your self and keep up the baby steps!

xerx790 11-05-2012 10:53 AM

I wish we could all be in physical therapy together, how fun and encouraging we could be for each other! We make such a big deal out of it because people who have never had foot reconstruction done cannot imagine what we go through. The whole experience is like a horror movie ( and a nightmare I do not want to wake up from)
It is not for the weak, so WE ARE VERY strong people! The pain and discomfort are nothing like I have ever felt before. After all that trauma our feet go through, I can see why it takes a while to heal and that is why we have to pace ourselves.
I am driving now, but I have to drive with my boot off, I press the gas with the repaired foot and press the break with the left. At least I do not feel like such a burden to my family anymore. I am walking outside of the house with the walker now, and if I go to a grocery store, I fold my walker and put it in the cart. I hold on for dear life and slowly make my way around the store. ( I bet I have a horrible and scary look on my face when I am walking) The boot is quite difficult to get used to and it is big and bulky and so hard to walk with. No wonder people want to get into their shoes quickly!
I am taking my tennis shoe to therapy today, but I do not have high hopes I can put it on. My foot feels sore and quite sensitive yet, and I am careful just putting a sock on.
I was an exercise maniac before surgery and although I will not be able to get onto the eliptical for a while, the therapist said I could ride a stationary bike, so I need to try and get a shoe on so I can get back into an exercise routine.
My goodness Adlizard, how in the world can you travel around already??? I would be a mess. I look silly just hopping out of my car and hopping to the back door to get my walker out.
Good luck going back to work Labgimp! I cannot imagine that!
Ginger, you are doing just fine!
Jodi

LadyKanner 11-05-2012 11:17 AM

You all are totally right! People just have no idea what it is like. My boyfriend especially. He is always commenting how he has to do so much. Says I have it easy just sitting around and not working. They just don't understand how frustrating it is to rely on someone else to get things done. He stopped helping me with laundry (it is in my basement and the steps are too short to fit my boot. I fell down the entire flight when I was on two feet in shoes) because I hadn't put things away. I just don't have room to put everything. So now I am down to my last pair of underwear and have about six loads to try and get down stairs. Bit discerning! I hate the idea of needing another surgery and going through all of this again! I do not like relying on others to help me out. I just assume do it myself. Makes me sick to think I am going to be back at square one again. UGH!

Grumpstress 11-05-2012 04:04 PM

[QUOTE=LadyKanner;5084012]You all are totally right! People just have no idea what it is like. My boyfriend especially. He is always commenting how he has to do so much. Says I have it easy just sitting around and not working. They just don't understand how frustrating it is to rely on someone else to get things done. He stopped helping me with laundry (it is in my basement and the steps are too short to fit my boot. I fell down the entire flight when I was on two feet in shoes) because I hadn't put things away. I just don't have room to put everything. So now I am down to my last pair of underwear and have about six loads to try and get down stairs. Bit discerning! I hate the idea of needing another surgery and going through all of this again! I do not like relying on others to help me out. I just assume do it myself. Makes me sick to think I am going to be back at square one again. UGH![/QUOTE]Please don't take the wrong way but would you be ok if I smacked your boyfriend upside the head?

I've had issues with my hubby as well. It's as if you can't really be unwell unless you are spilling blood all over the place or hacking up a lung. I feel sometimes like showing people the goriest pictures of the surgery I can find just to show what is going on under the skin. But that might me look unwell in the head right? ;)

ginger62 11-05-2012 05:43 PM

I have a one story house with extra bedrooms. Y'all come on down. We'll start a hobbledy commune.
Ginger

LadyKanner 11-05-2012 06:10 PM

Haha you go right ahead! Wouldn't your hubby love that Ginger! He would think he was running a nursing home!

ginger62 11-05-2012 06:14 PM

I have a boyfriend with his own home. I'm here all by my lonesome!