It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2012, 06:54 PM   #1
(female)

baillz HB User
Thumbs down What is wrong with my foot?

I am a teenager and dance and play rec soccer and basketball. Well, this all started a couple of years ago when I was ice skating. I fractured my left growth plate and throughout the next three years I sprained it 11 times. Eight weeks ago I was doing the splits and inside of my foot snapped to the ground and I put it back up and it happened again. I know it is a stupid way to hurt your foot. I figured it would be better so I ignored it and it wasn't getting better.

Three weeks later I went to the doctor. He did Xrays and he said that I had an accessory navicular bone and a legiment strain. He put me in a boot and I walked out of the doctor's office with the crutches in hand. I had a show choir preformance so I wanted to do it really bad. The doctor said I could get a cortizone shot so it didn't hurt. It hurt when I got it as expected but it never got better. I had go from hobbling around and slowly healing to crutches and constant Advil. I am still on cructhes. He was concerned and said if it wasn't better in a month he wanted me to see a surgeon to talk about it being removed. I called him and wanted a prescription for a stronger pain medication. He told me to see a surgeon.

I went to see him and he told me he thought that what the original doctor was an accessory bone was a bone that fractured off the main bone. He also thought because of the fracture the legiment was not on the navicular bone. He thought this because the piece fit exactly with the main navicular bone. He said he would look at the MRI (which he said it was poorly taken) with the radiologist. He also wanted me to get custom orthotics. I went there and the doctor thought it was postterrior tendonitis. Which isn't only caused by stress?

I am just so lost and I need help! Any ideas or situations that might help? Will the orthotics work? What do you think? Which one is right? HELP!

Last edited by Administrator; 11-04-2012 at 08:58 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: What is wrong with my foot?

Sorry to hear about your situation. You came to the right place for advice. I first want to tell you that I am in no way a medical professional. I speak only from personal experience.

Some people get great relief from cortisone shots. I for one did not. Not even for a day. I couldn't afford the custom orthotics so I had my feet scanned for some over the counter ones but they didn't fit into my shoes. I have heard of some people getting a lot of relief once they get custom orthotics.

I would give the orthotics a chance. If you read on this forum, there are several posts regarding accessory naviculars and treatments.

I wish you the very best! Hang in there kiddo!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
(female)

Grumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB UserGrumpstress HB User

This is hard enough as a boring ol adult. Can't imagine having these issues as a teenager.

See if you can get in to see a ortho doctor who specializes in the foot/ankle. For the surgery itself, if needed, I would suggest one who is not only focused on the foot/ankle but is also board certified.

When I first started on my journey I also had a MRI that wasn't very clear. It was taken at a .60 Tesla when my current surgeon says is to low and should have been a 1.5 Tesla. My surgeon told me that if it was taken with the higher resolution then the tendon tear would have been seen. More than a little irritated at that let me tell you.

Good luck with everything and please keep posting with any questions or concerns.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:33 AM   #4
(male)

dexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB Userdexatech HB User

What did the radiologist who read the xrays say it is?

Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #5
(female)

baillz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexatech View Post
What did the radiologist who read the xrays say it is?
Well he said that he doesn't understands why it hurts so bad so I'm getting the orthotics Tuesday and I am supposed to take it an hour at a time. My mother said if they dont help then we will go see a different doctor.

Closed Thread

Tags
accessory navicular, fracture, posterior tibal tendon, surgery