It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:44 AM   #16
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User
Re: MRI Results - Help please understanding

my second opinion was with George Theodore. Do you see Chiodo? Thank you.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-18-2012 at 05:15 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 AM   #17
(male)

BobNAnkle HB UserBobNAnkle HB UserBobNAnkle HB User

I've actually seen both Theodore and Chiodo for 2nd opinions. My issue is different than yours; OCD Talus in the ankle joint. I've also seen your other OS (Dr Johnson) for a 2nd as well. She is doing some really great stuff with new technologies for OCD treatment. I think any of these Doc's are the top rated in the Boston area and all come highly recommended. You would need to determine who is the best and most experienced for PTTD though. I know Chiodo has done flat foot recon numerous times as well. You should see if you can contact a patient from the Boston area who had PTTD recon by one of these doctors and see how they are doing. That's what I've been doing for the OCD stuff...

-Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to BobNAnkle For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (11-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 11:14 AM   #18
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

I've tried researching the doctors but really haven't come up with much. How were you able to learn about the cutting-edge work Johnson is doing? Thanks!

Old 11-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #19
(male)

Keep in mind the work I'm talking about is for OCD...not what you have. I just continued researching the subject and found local people who had ankle OCD in Boston and had Microfracture, OATS, ACI and Denovo repair. I found a few people from the area, one went to Hospital for Special Surgery in NY and got OATS, one went to Brigham and Womens and got allograft OATS and one went to MGH (Dr J) and got Denovo. The results varied depending upon who the doc was and what the procedure was. HSS has a huge reputation, but it's not convenient for us and doesn't always work into insurance, so you pay more. The guy who went to Dr J had 3 prior microfracture surgeries ( 2 by her) and they all failed. He claims now he's never felt better after the last Op (Denovo) with Dr J, however there is limited long term studies on the success.

The point is that there are so many variables that can affect the outcome. The doctor you are choosing, the procedure you are having, the rehab and compliance and even then, there is still the risk of continous inflammation, infection, etc.... Everything needs to be considered.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-17-2012 at 11:41 PM.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:22 PM   #20
(female)

Yesterday, I had decided I would wait a year. After having a small party at my home tonight and entertaining on my feet for 3 hours, I now realize I really need to do something.

Someone else had suggested the Hospital for Special Surgery in NY. I called them and have the name of the doctor who accepts my insurance and specializes in foot/ankle.

I was a bit taken aback yesterday when I went to the doctor. He commented on how many doctors I had already seen. (Not in a good way.) I felt uncomfortable, especially since out of the 5 doctors I had seen, one had sent me to another and two were podiatrists who covered for each other in the same office.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-18-2012 at 05:16 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to exdancer2 For This Useful Post:
snc2011 (11-17-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 05:48 PM   #21
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by exdancer2 View Post
I was a bit taken aback yesterday when I went to the doctor. He commented on how many doctors I had already seen. (Not in a good way.) I felt uncomfortable, especially since out of the 5 doctors I had seen, one had sent me to another and two were podiatrists who covered for each other in the same office.
Don't worry about it, I got the same feedback. I've had two ankle surgeries by one local Ortho surgeon (July 2009 and Sep 2010) and over the last 2 years I have seen four more Ortho's and two Pod's for additional opinions and advice. It is not easy seeking additional opinions but I now believe it's the prudent thing to do, especially with something as big as flat foot recon like you may have.

I know there was a woman on here who had Chiodo do her flat foot recon 1 1/2 years ago or so. If I can find her posts I'll let you know or you could do a search on the doc's name. You may be able to reach out and see how she is doing.

-Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to BobNAnkle For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (11-18-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:25 PM   #22
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

The Hospital for Special Surgery is supposed to be a really good hospital for foot/ankle surgeries. Just be sure to ask how many of the procedures they do each month. It is really important for the success of the surgery.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missyluke For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (11-19-2012)
Closed Thread