It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-08-2012, 08:55 AM   #1
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User
MRI Results - Help please understanding

My MRI results finally came in this morning.

To recap my past posts, I have suspected PTTD either late Stage 1 or early Stage 2. 2.5 years ago I had a walking accident that resulted in Plantar Fasciitus. Have had shot, rested, aircast for 6 weeks, PT for 6 months, night splint, over-the-counter orthodics, prescription orthodics, robust orthodic. Have I missed something?

This is my 3rd MRI in 2.5 years. They are comparing this one to my last one in Dec. 2011.

These are the findings today:
1.Of note, there is suboptimal fat saturation below the tibiotalar joint
2.There is mild thickening of the medial cord of the plantar fascia.
3.Tendons: There is thin linear increased signal in the proximal
tibialis posterior paralleling its length, this may represent a tiny
intrasubstance tear. There is a small amount of fluid around the the
tibialis posterior, the flexor digitorum longus, and extensor
digitorum longus

I do understand points 2 & 3. I feel vindicated that they may have found a tear.

Point 1 - suboptimal fat saturation - I have googled and have not been able to find anything. I have a call into my surgeon and hope to hear back by next week. In the meantime, is there anyone with a similar scenario/MRI results that could share their experience and results?

Finally, just thought I'd mention that the last surgeon I went to in Dec. 2011 told me there was nothing wrong and the pain I was experiencing was due to my, "low threshold of pain." A complete falsehood and it still bothers me that I didn't say anything back to him - I was too stunned.

Thank you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-08-2012, 04:14 PM   #2
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: MRI Results - Help please understanding

Although I am not a Dr., I won't pretend to understand what all of that means. What I would say is take your results to another surgeon and see what he or she thinks...find one that believes your pain. I am so mad at doctors who minimize our pain!!! Only you know how bad it is. Who would continue to seek surgical advice if the pain wasn't real? The recovery sucks, it is expensive, etc....You know if there is something wrong...good luck finding a new doctor!!

Old 11-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #3
(female)

allykay HB Userallykay HB Userallykay HB User

I thiiiink (and also- not a doc, just a chronic patient ) that it might just have something to do with the quality of the image? I remember on my first (of 3) MRIs it said "there is poor fat suppression in the ___ area"... which just meant that they couldn't entirely see that area because the fat was in the way? That my extremely layman interpretation of it. I could be totally wrong though. Try googling just "fat saturation" and you can find a little bit.

Old 11-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

MRI's are not always accurate. I have had several tendon tears which the MRI's have said "normal". You know when it does not feel right. It cannot hurt to get another opinion.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 PM   #5
(female)

exdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB Userexdancer2 HB User

Tenderfoot, Allykay and Missyluke - thank you so much for responding.
I agree, I too am sick of doctors who are not helpful. As a close friend of mine, a psychologist who specializes in pain management has told me, her practice is extremely busy due to so many doctors not believing in the pain of their patients. She was the one who made me feel better when the second doctor I went to told me I had a low treshold for pain.
Allykay - Thanks for the suggestion. I had googled before and only found an MRI study. I had emailed my doctor this morning to ask what the results mean. I didn't hear back. On Nov. 16 I'm going for a second opionion - maybe he'll be more helpful.
Missyluke - Yes, I've been complaining for 2.5 years. My personal doctor believes me as does the current orthopedic surgeon I go to. I was so happy to see that the MRI showed that there might be a small tear. First time anything has shown up.

In the meantime, I woke up this morning to some significant pain in my arch. More than usual. Not sure what is going on. I've really had it with this. I want to be able to live life normally.

Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I agree with MISSY on the MRI thing. I've had several ankle MRIs and 2 surgeries. Both MRIs that led to the 2 surgeries were read as "normal" in either one area or all areas. My one from a year ago was read as completely normal when in fact, I had 2 torn ligaments, torn retinaculum, torn peroneal tendon and subluxating peroneal tendons! My OS found all this when he read my MRI (as opposed to the radiologist) and confirmed it all in surgery! I'm sorry your pain is being minimized. SOOO irritating! I hope your current OS realizes the pain and can help it!!

Old 11-14-2012, 08:27 AM   #7
(female)

Just wanted to thank everyone...
We returned from a 4 day getaway in New Orleans. By Day 2 my foot started really hurting. At points I had to stop for fear I was going to fall. Sharp pain in the upper balk of my calf in a new place. Arch felt like tearing with sharp pains. Day 3, my "good" foot started to feel like I was getting Plantar Faciitus (sp). I would like to add that we are not drinkers and just walked at a normal pace. I wore comfortable walking shoes and had 3 different orthodics with me...Did nothing out of the ordinary.

In the meantime haven't heard from my OS regarding her thoughts on my MRI. I may call her nurse today. I am going to my second opinion on Friday. Right now I'm home from work with my feet up and icing when possible.

I am one unhappy camper.

PS Hollywood48 - thank you for posting. I really think you are correct about the OS reading it vs. the radiologist.

Old 11-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I am surprised that your surgeon didn't schedule an immediate follow up appointment. When I had my MRI my surgeon had me get a copy of the disc and scheduled an appointment two days later to read it. He didn't even want to wait on the radiologist report. I now have those discs for myself. Not like I can read them though haha
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #9
(female)

LadyKanner, I was surprised too. So far, I can say I have not been impressed by the OS I have been to. I'm going to a second opinion on Friday and am hoping he will be someone that understands what I'm going through.Feeling really fed up (and in some pain) today.

Old 11-14-2012, 02:32 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I hope you get some results!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (11-14-2012)
Old 11-15-2012, 12:32 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

I also can't believe a f/u appt wasn't scheduled! My OS also scheduled right after it was done and I have my own copy of the MRI too which is neat since I can find my way around them somewhat. I'm so glad you have a 2nd opinion on Friday! Please let us know as soon as you get back from it what he says! He should read the MRI for himself!!

Old 11-16-2012, 12:20 PM   #12
(female)

Hi,
I'm back from my second opinion.

Bottom line is that he said everything has been tried and the next step is surgery BUT... for the surgeries needed the realistic success rate is 70% improvement and the other 30% being 25% remain the same and 5% are worse. He asked me to really think this through and think about how I would feel if I got worse.

Back in March I had resigned myself to surgery and the last few months I had been mentally preparing myself.

Now I'm just scared.

He also mentioned that he would be addressing the Plantar Fasciitis which the other doctor hadn't mentioned. I have mild thickening of the Plantar Fascia (sp) going on 2.7 years.

He is willing to operate. I know he has much more experience then the other OS I have seen. he has operated on several famous sport's figures in Boston.

Am very anxious at the moment. Would appreciate advice, thoughts, support, a stiff drink (not kidding).
Thank you.

Old 11-16-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
(female)

Ginger62 - Thanks! I think the person I went to today is probably the top person for the procedures here in Boston. Am very anxious about doing them.

Old 11-16-2012, 02:18 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Some things to consider there. Ask yourself what is a couple of months in pain in comparison to years? The success rate seems pretty good. I wish you the best!
~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

The Following User Says Thank You to LadyKanner For This Useful Post:
exdancer2 (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 08:34 AM   #15
(male)

BobNAnkle HB UserBobNAnkle HB UserBobNAnkle HB User

Good luck with your decision. Is it Chiodo you are now seeing?

Closed Thread