It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-10-2012, 06:18 PM   #1
(female)

BEAUTIFULTT HB User
Foot numbness after surgery

Hello,

I've had surgery to repair/replace my Achilles tendons about two months ago. I'm having some numbness on the outside of my foot and when I mentioned it to my Dr the 1dt time he said it should go away in a couple wks, now when I say it's still numb he looks at me with a confused look on his face and say "really that's weird well let see how it is next wk" and it's still numb as of today. anyone with this problem now or in the pass please help...

Thanks in advance
TJ

Old 11-10-2012, 07:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User
Re: Foot numbness after surgery

hi, i've had achiless reconstruction before but no numbness. there are some nerve pain meds out there, neurontin, lyrica, topomax, elavil, you could ask your doc about these. most will put weight on you except the topomax and they all have other side effects such as short term memory loss. You should always start at like 25 mg at night and work your way up slowly each week to avoid these side effects. but you should see some improvement. Hope this helps Cathy

The Following User Says Thank You to noevr For This Useful Post:
BEAUTIFULTT (11-10-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
(female)

BEAUTIFULTT HB User

Thank you Cathy for your response I didn't know about that but will look into them. I've contacted another Dr for a opinion I can't say second because my Dr act as if he has no clue. so I go see the other Dr on Tuesday I'll let u know what I find out...thanks again TJ

Old 11-10-2012, 09:49 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Hi there! I had a different procedure back in April and still have numbness around an incision, clear up the top of my foot and in two of my toes. My doctor told me it was normal to have the nerve damage after a significant surgery. I don't know if this varies procedure to procedure?
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #5
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I had calcaneus reconstruction surgery after a significant trauma, so I can't say that my procedure was even close to the same.

But for me, I still have numbness all over my foot. Most of it is along the side where my pinky toe is, but a lot around the scar/incision site. Some around my big toe as well. I was told I could have this numbness up to a year.

It feels really weird, but doesn't seem to be causing any other trouble. I massage it a lot to try and "wake up" the nerves, but they have to regrow in their own time.

Good luck figuring it out!

Liz
~7.30.12--Fall, Shattered calcaneus, burst fracture L1 vertebra
~8.23.12--ORIF Surgery to piece together calcaneus

Closed Thread