It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #1
(female)

Bogus52 HB User
Great toe joint replacement update

Hello I just had a great toe joint replacement 11 days ago and would like to let people know how it has been in case you are scheduled for the same thing. I had my right great toe procedure done with a Wright double stent silastic implant with titanium grommetts. I had my joint xrayed 5 years ago and was at a stage of hallux limitus of 1 to 2. I could have had a cheillectomy or keller procedure then. I had swelling, pain, it would wake me at night, couldn't wear most shoes. The bone spur on the top of my joint was so painful. I had already suffered 2 years before dx. I waited 5 years until surgery due to work concerns. I was finally at stage 3 to 4 when I had the surgery.
I cannot believe that there has been virtually no pain!! I had a block that made my foot numb the 1st day or 2 but still...no pain. I was on Celebrex for about 7 days and antibiotics. I only took 1 pain pill the first 2 nights in case I needed it but never had any discomfort. I had to wear a half block shoe for 10 days to prevent any pressure on the joint...slept with it too. That was okay...actually felt it was protecting my foot. I just got my sutures out and now am ambulating in a flat boot. I start PT 2 x a week this week and maybe then I will feel a bit different but the intermittent discomfort is the same I always had! I occasionally feel a sharp pain or achy feeling but again, not new from before. I will continue updating for anyone else in my position.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-11-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Great toe joint replacement update

Please do. I know I am looking at further procedures down the road (had cheilectomies on both great toes already) so am very interested in the experiences of others. Hope things continue to go well for you.

Old 11-23-2012, 04:05 PM   #3
(female)

Bogus52 HB User
Re: Great toe joint replacement update

Hi this is an update for day 23 postop. Unbelievably, there is slight to no pain. I started physical therapy 2 times a week. It is a little uncomfortable doing the exercises at therapy and at home, but nothing to really speak of. I took Ibuprofen 400 mg before therapy to make sure I was comfortable and able to do the best range of motion. I have a toe splint I wear under my flat ortho shoe. I wear the splint to bed also. The steri strips are starting to fall off. I have a little swelling under my great and second toe. I do not use any pain meds unless going to therapy. My foot lets me know when I need to put it up on a chair or cushion. I will see the MD in three weeks, get an xray and expect to have boot discharged. It is up to the MD to discharge the boot. The physical therapist can't switch me into shoes to practice walking. I never knew this. No driving due to the boot.
Oh, by the way, my MD is a podiatrist who has a great reputation and voted one of the best MD's in my state.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
(female)

Bogus52 HB User
Talking Re: Great toe joint replacement update now day 58

Hi I am now at day 58 post right great toe joint replacement. See my previous posts for the exact procedure. I am doing great!! I have been having PT 2 x week...had 8 visits and now will have 4 more just to continue stretching for maximum range of motion. I am trying to teach myself to walk correctly as I have walked with a tilt due to lack of motion in past with my great toe. NO PAIN!!! I do have discomfort when under my toe ( plantar side of foot) where that joint is learning to stretch. No bump,no pain on top. I got new sneakers as there are tilted for the way I used to walk. Occasionally I have an achy feeling and discomfort but NEVER had pain per say, post op. I don't know why as I only used 3 pain pills post op in anticipation of pain that never came after block wore off. I do take Ibuprofen occasionally. Swelling is still there a bit but I don't ice as much as I should. I cannot believe how great this has turned out considering the pain I have had in past. I am looking forward to trying new shoes but will do that in time. Did a Denise Austin exercise video yesterday with barely any notice of my toe. YEA!!!

Old 02-13-2013, 06:01 PM   #5
(female)

Bogus52 HB User
Re: Great toe joint replacement update now day 58

Update 3 1/2 months postop
I am doing great!! No pain. I can occasionally feel an ache in the area but I still have a small amt swelling. I am walking on the treadmill...doing exercise videos with no thought to my foot at all. When I think of all the times in bed I imagined getting the achy painful joint cut out, I never really thought it would happen. I am sorry I waited so long!

Closed Thread