It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2012, 10:57 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Nerve pain?

Hey all,
Just today,(7 weeks post op for reconstruction), all along the outside of my ankle up to my pinky toe has been on fire. I massaged my foot a little in the shower today...is this things starting to wake up? It's uncomfortable, borderline painful.

Thanks,

Ginger

Last edited by ginger62; 11-12-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: Nerve pain?

I think there are some medications that can help with issues with nerves. My nerve pain isn't that severe so I can't relate too much. Mine is mostly some spurratic stinging and numbness all the time. I hope you can find some relief!!!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-12-2012, 11:45 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Hi ginger, Thank God that you have only had this for one day! Post op I think you should call doc. Waking up, feels like pins & needles only, not burning pain. Saw post from UK one time that said for nerve pain use Emla cream( not sure in the states but is a strong numbing lidocaine or benzocaine cteam) on area of foot where nerve pain. Cover with saran or plastic wrap for 1 hour. Then, apply a capsaisin cream ONLY on area exactly that was covered with emla cream or equivalent. Instates, check with pharmacist, you may have to get dr to call in xylocaine cream. God bless you, ginger!

Last edited by gmak; 11-12-2012 at 11:01 PM. Reason: reworded

Old 11-12-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
(female)

Ditsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB UserDitsy1 HB User

Hi Ginger --

I had something similar, but it did settle down. My nerves would "flare" at times, all along the outside of my foot -- enough to make me want to jump, but it wasn't a continuous sensation. It would flare up, last for a bit, then die down. I kept massaging the area, gently, and my PT works on it 2x a week still. It is much better now (12 weeks post op today!) and doesn't wake me up anymore, but it was tough going for awhile. I still get it occasionally but it is not as bad as it was. I think Prico54 mentioned something about an ointment, maybe that is also what gmak is describing?

I feel for you. I do think it is your nerves waking up, but boy does it distract!

Dits

Old 11-12-2012, 02:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

I had nerve pain after flat foot reconstruction surgery. The surgeon said it happens sometimes and is usually temporary. He prescribed Lyrica (takes a week to work) and it did work. After several months I stopped taking the medication and nerve pain was gone.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:44 PM   #6
(female)

prico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB Userprico54 HB User

Hey Ginger! You and I both. I am over 11 weeks now and for the last few weeks the nerve pain is awful. It hasnt gotten any better. My dr gave me some cream called Ketoprofen. It is a prescription and it cost $77.00 I dont think my ins paid for much of it and to be honest it hasnt helped alot. He also prescribed neurontin but I havent taken that too often. It makes me feel tired so if I take it I take it at night. My physical therapist has me scrub the scars with a wet wash cloth really vigorously and that is supposed to help with the numbness and nerve pain and stiffening feeling. It feels numb then sharp pain and also tightness like a tight rubber band with shooting pain gointo my big toe. Not really pleasant but on the positive side I can walk around the block with max and my grandaughters wearing my real sneakers along with my lace up brace. It makes me sooo very happy to walk. It does swell up but I ice it all the time and that helps immensely. Have a good night friend. I hope my info helped some.

The following user gives a hug of support to prico54:
ginger62 (11-12-2012)
Old 11-12-2012, 03:52 PM   #7
(female)

hiyachuck HB User

Oh boy I remember that nerve pain! I had it on the entire top of my foot for about two weeks and it was the worst. It felt like my foot was on fire. I have a high pain tolerance but that brought me down. My dr called in lidocaine cream and it did help. I think it started around 7 weeks post op. now I am almost 14 weeks post op and the only pain I have is at night after I do a lot. Good luck and it will pass.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Thanks, everybody. It's come and gone some today, moved around to the other side of my foot too. It's just the weirdest feeling. Then, to top it off, I had a friend stop by and I was showing her how I slipped off my scooter weeks and weeks ago. Of course, I did it again! I thought my foot could take a little more pressure. I can already feel it swelling. So dumb.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

Yeah, it will swell really easily. I had the nerve issue to the point that if I took a deep breathe in I would get the stinging in my foot. It can really be weird. When I talked to the doctor about it I really thought he was gonna think I was crazy. He knew exactly what the problem was.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I definitely had the burning sensation for about a week. Felt like the foot was on fire. When I called my doc, it was just the nerves starting to rejoin, and that if it lasted too long, or was too intense to call them back. Never got to that point. After about a week of it flaring up for about 15-45 mins, it went away without any extra drugs or anything.

Now, most of my foot is numb, along the sides especially. Except when I touch the upper part of the scar, it jumps. Nerves are weird little buggers.

Old 11-12-2012, 10:43 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

After my first reconstruction, I just had the numbness and then within 6 months it had completely cleared up. I had total feeling back, no pain, etc.

After this 2nd reconstruction back in Feb, same thing. No big deal, I know how this works right? Wrong. Within 6 months, it was the same. Numbness and tingling and then some burning and pain. It finally cleared up on the side of my ankle to my pinky toe (that is the sural nerve pathway. they move the sural nerve in surgery). But the part on the top of my foot going to the 4th toe, nada. It still to this day (8 months s/p surgery) is the exact same. I saw my OS last Thursday and found out I had resprained my ankle. I told him about the nerve and he tested it out and said that the pathway that is the issue is the peroneal nerve pathway, but that it shouldn't be that way because nothing was done with that nerve. So I don't know. It doesn't flare all the time, but it does some and after this long, it may be permanent. Not sure yet. Time will tell.

I'm glad yours has settled down somewhat. I hope that since you aren't 6 months out yet (I don't think?) that is just early and it will calm down and be fine in a few months!

Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

It looks like we have all experienced the nerve pain and discomfort. Every day I have some sort of sensations in different parts of my foot, tightness, pain, aching, burning, tingling, the list seems endless. I can relate to everyone and their experiences. When does it all end??? I just want my foot to feel normal again! Hugs for everyone!

Old 11-13-2012, 10:47 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Agreed! I for one am not practicing what I preach. At my last appointment he told me to come back in three weeks. Said if I have any popping at all to call and come back sooner. I have to admit it has popped and I have a little knot on the side of my ankle. I am facing surgery regardless so what is it going to hurt to just ignore it right? I just am loving that I can walk and do things and I am afraid if I call him back I will be NWB again and that is NOT on my agenda right now. If he is going to remove everything during the surgery does it really matter? hahaha I am just tired of being laid up I am not willing to give up my little bit of freedom.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-13-2012, 10:55 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

You rebel, you! Good luck and have fun. I hope it doesn't come back to bite you though, that would suck.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:00 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

Yea it sure would!!! I'm just frustrated with everything.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread