It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 03:28 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Pop and Knot---not your everyday dance move!

Well to begin for those who don't know my story, I had the procedures listed below in April of this year. My subtalar fusion was broken in August. It has not been wanting to re-fuse. I am taking 1250 mg of calcium+ vitamin D every day and using a bone growth stimulator.

I went back to the doctor on the 29th of October. It still wasn't fusing. He told me to give it 3 more weeks to show some significant improvement but he wasn't too optimistic. He is planning on revision surgery with bone grafting. He gave me the go ahead to do some walking in my boot to build some strength back up in my calf. I have lost most of my muscle mass. He told me if I experience any popping to call him and come back sooner.

Well the other day I was sitting in the chair with my foot up getting ready to use my stimulator so the boot was off. I put my hand on the top of my foot and it just popped hard. It wasn't painful at the time. Just scared the poo out of me. Shortly after it popping, there was a knot on the outside of my ankle. That night I could barely sleep. It kept waking me up. It wasn't excruciating pain, it was mostly annoying spurratic pains and aches.

I noticed the pain radiating today around both sides of my subtalar joint so decided to call the doctor. I honestly had put it off because for once I am walking and really enjoying being able to just do things when I want to do them without much thought. I am afraid I am going to go in and be put back on NWB status. If I am facing surgery am I really going to make it worse? He already said that he would remove all the hardware currently in there along with the new bone growth and replace it with grafts so walking until surgery time would be okay? What do you think?

Sorry for rambling....I am nervous and frustrated! I go back first thing Thursday morning. When I called today I told them that he told me to call if I had anything but I was fine waiting until Monday. They said no way to come in at their first appointment which is then. UGH!!!

What's a girl got to do to get a break?
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: LadyKanner
ginger62 (11-13-2012), teil3156 (11-13-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: Pop and Knot---not your everyday dance move!

Kimberly, one thing that you definitely do not need is any more breaks!

Old 11-13-2012, 04:46 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

Kimberly
I could just cry for you. You must be so frustrated! Did this all happen because of the therapist breaking your fusion or did the last operation not work the way it was expected to? The popping would have scared the bejeepers out of me. Is the knot painful? Your whole situation just makes me think that my complaints are minor compared to what you are experiencing. What type of surgery will you need now? I would have jumped off a bridge by now. You are one brave women!
jodi

Old 11-13-2012, 05:22 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Unhappy Re: Pop and Knot---not your everyday dance move!

Don't cry for me Argentina! HA! I am a tad cheesy.... to answer your questions...

I have only had the one surgery on my ankle. The fusion was broken after this surgery in PT. The knot is not painful to touch but it hurts deep down in the joint in that area. It is radiating in the entire subtalar joint on both sides now.

The surgery he is talking about will entail removing all the current hardware I have. The T/N fusion is fused and the hardware can safely come out anyhow. He is going to clean out the subtalar joint of all new bone growth that is in there and replace it with bone grafts. He then will replace the screws with two new screws in a different position. He will have me continue using my bone growth stimulator. If he comes up with anything else I will see. Last time he did the surgery along with another surgeon in his office. Not sure if he plans on doing that again. Last time I had to stay two nights. Hope it won't be that bad this time. One positive side is this time I won't be having my achilles lengthened so that is one less procedure.

I am so freaking frustrated I could just pull my hair out. I just want to live like a normal 33 year old woman! I conceded that I am done playing softball but this has taken everything away. I don't want to spend another summer unable to walk. It was nice being off work last summer but I couldn't go anywhere and really do anything so it sort of sucked. Sorry to ramble! Thank you all for your concern and understanding. People who haven't gone through the same thing don't understand what we are going through.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #5
(male)

Mr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB User

Man, you just can't catch a freakin break!!! I hope that that therapist that broke your fusion has been made aware of all of this. I was just belly-aching to my wife about how my Fall was stolen from me, and how being NWB for 3 months sucks so bad, and after reading your post, I feel stupid.

Hopefully, this next surgery will be the trick. With all of the positive vibes you spread on this board, we all owe you positive vibes back! Hang in there, and I am sure you will be able to live like a normal 34 year old in no time flat! Just think of how defined your triceps and shoulders will be after all this :-).

Old 11-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Kimberly,
Did you see the avatar I put up today? That is where I live. If you cannot walk this coming summer I will drive to Ohio and bring you to the commune. I go to work at 6am so I will drop you off at the ocean or the sound and pick you up at 4 when I get off. Boyfriend can do his own laundry. Huge hugs.
Ginger

Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Haha! You're great Ginger! Thanks Blotto! My triceps are probably defined if I can find them under the flab. Haha. My parents live in Burlington Ginger. I'd be closer there!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-14-2012, 06:56 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

Ginger, I live in Western PA, I can swing over to OH to pick Kim up before we head to your place. I am a wiz at driving now with my swelled foot squished into my tennis shoe. I can see us now sitting on our beach chairs, and Kim with her strong arms will be able to pull me up if I am unable to.
Jodi

Old 11-14-2012, 07:35 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Haha, I've been through the lovely Breezewood experience many a time. C'mon anytime!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:25 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

This would be like the blind leading the blind. Where in NC are you Ginger? I've been down there many times. I've been to Nags Head, Jacksonville, Carolina Beach. The beach I went to in Jacksonville was on Camp LeJeune and littered with hot Marines! Meow!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I have have to buy stock in Coppertone! I don't tan at all and always burn. The red head in me! Eventually my freckles run together and I get a pseudo tan.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm on the northern Outer Banks. No Marines here.

Old 11-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm exactly the same way but auburn. My freckles make me look like I'm still tan in November!

Old 11-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I'm not that freckly. My tan is more of a darker shade of pink. HAHA My hair is more blonde now but I was a red head when I was born. VERY red.
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-14-2012, 05:24 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

Exclamation Re: Pop and Knot---not your everyday dance move!

Not to brag but.....I married one of those Marines!
North Outer Banks sounds lovely, even if there are no Marines there.
We can always go find some on the weekends. Since they are all so strong, they can carry us around when our feet are painful. Marines are taught to be very self sufficient and They do laundry too. You should see my husband iron a shirt and pants, it cracks me up everytime.

Closed Thread