It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User
walking after foot reconstruction

Hi all!
I wanted to let you know I got a tennis shoe (minus the lace) on my foot the other day at therapy. It was tight, but it actually felt better to step wearing the shoe vs the cam boot. The tongue on the shoe is way up in the air. I cannot stand anything touching the top of my foot, because the top of my foot is still very sore and sensitive. I surprised myself.
I wore my shoe to therapy today but just walking in holding my cane was very painful and I had to walk very slow. The pain when I step is inside around the ankle. I can only tolerate having a shoe on for a short period of time. I also have had severe swelling. The therapist suggested a cryo cuff? To help with swelling. I need to ask the surgeon if he can write me a script for one. She also massaged it and some parts were so painful, I almost fell off the table.

I am quite depressed due to the pain I am experiencing from stepping and walking. The therapist said since my heel was moved over and not weight bearing for almost 10 weeks that the weight I am putting on it is contributing to the pain. I don't want to go back to taking pain medicine but the pain deters me from wanting to walk. I was also told that since I have pain I need to take the walking thing slow and not do too much in one day. Another reason to be depressed. I am tired of sitting with my foot elevated all the time. I thought since I was in therapy I was past all of that but apparently I need to be more patient with the walking and recovery process. Too slow for me!
tomorrow I am going to a bridal shop to try on more dresses...oh joy! My foot will be so swelled by the time I am done...oh Lord...help me through this! I am never going to be able to have the other foot done.

12 weeks post op now.
jodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2012, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
Re: walking after foot reconstruction

They all say it's a roller coaster ...and you are on it. Hold on, sweetie. It's got to get better soon.
Ginger

The following user gives a hug of support to ginger62:
xerx790 (11-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
xerx790 (11-14-2012)
Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #3
(female)

hiyachuck HB User
Re: walking after foot reconstruction

I'm around two weeks ahead of you. Everyday is a tiny approvement. I still sit down every so often and elevate. I'm slowly getting back to normal but it's really frustrating. Try getting some compression socks they really help with swelling. I actually made it down the steps today to do a load of laundry. Good progress but I still hate laundry. Hang in there and when you go shopping find a seat and put your foot up that's how I go shopping. People look at you funny but I just laugh at them.

The Following User Says Thank You to hiyachuck For This Useful Post:
xerx790 (11-14-2012)
Closed Thread