It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM   #1
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User
Scheduled PTTD/Flat Foot Reconstruction Surgery - what's down the road?

Ok, I did it. Scheduled my surgery. Freaking out, but i know it's for the best. I feel like I fully understand the procedures, and understand the recovery and what to expect. I'm slowly coming to terms with it. So my question now - what happens longer term? I know I will never be 100% again, but hopefully it will get me closer than I am right now. Dr. told me to never expect to run again, but I should be able to do anything else i want. That doesn't thrill me, but I can deal with it.

So once I hit that year mark, when everyone says you're "recovered" - what does that mean? The dr mentioned orthotics - do I have to wear them forever? Every time I'm on my feet? Does that mean cute shoes/flip flops are out forever (I live in flip flops in the summer but can't bring myself to ask the guy who's about to reconstruct my arch if I can ever wear them again ).

How much limitations will I have in what I can do? I'm in my late 30's, I have young kids, I was very active before all this started. I want to be able to regain as much of that as I can, and I have a lot of active years ahead of me.

Should I expect problems years down the road? Is this something when I'm in my 50s or 60s or whatever gives me problems again for some reason?

My head is spinning with questions, I so appreciate being able to read everyone's experiences who have been through it and are so much farther along than I am.

Oh, the procedures I am having are PT tendon repair/FDL tendon transfer, lengthening the Achilles, calcaneal osteotomy, lateral column lengthening and reparing the spring ligament, if he finds damage to it.

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-14-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: Scheduled PTTD/Flat Foot Reconstruction Surgery - what's down the road?

What date did you get for your surgery?

I only had one procedure the same as yours so your recovery may or not be different from mine. I was told I could walk again and even run if I wanted to. He suggested I give softball up as it is hard on inverting and pronating and he doesn't want me doing that. I was told one year for recovery and that I most likely will continue to have some issues with swelling but that the pain would be far more manageable and not consume my life.

I hope you don't have to wait too long!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-14-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

I have been wondering the same things myself, NCgirl. Maybe we can both find out! Glad your doctor's appointment went well. Keep resting.
Ginger

Last edited by ginger62; 11-14-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Old 11-14-2012, 04:42 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Missyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB UserMissyluke HB User

After I had flat foot reconstruction surgery my doctor said I would not be able to run also. He also said no high heals and that I can never go barefoot again - great I live in Florida! I have to wear orthotics all the time. I do not know if all doctors have the same protocols or if my doctor is really conservative.

Old 11-15-2012, 11:36 AM   #5
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

My surgery is scheduled for December 4th. Yikes!

Not happy about the no heels/no barefoot thing. That stinks. Ugh.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #6
(male)

kirbside HB User

I am scheduled for just about the same procedures in mid-january and am beginning the freak out stage too. My doc didn't mention no bare feet, that would be a disaster.

Best of luck to you, I hope all goes well, keep us posted.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:41 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

NcGirl- They make some really cute flat shoes these days. I am pretty tall and have avoided wearing heels for years. My procedure was different and I wasn't told those things about mine fortunately.

Kirbside- When is your surgery? It surely is nerve racking. My surgery is January 16th. We can do recovery together.

Feel free to message anytime! This is a great forum for support!

~Kimberly
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-20-2012, 05:07 PM   #8
(male)

kirbside HB User

Mine is January 16th as well. It'll be nice to have someone to share the recovery with.

-Kirby

Last edited by kirbside; 11-20-2012 at 05:09 PM.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

That's great! What all are they going to perform?
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-21-2012, 11:20 AM   #10
(male)

kirbside HB User

I am looking forward to having a PT tendon repair/FDL tendon transfer, lateral column lengthening, lengthening the Achilles, and the potential fusion of some other bones as needed (specific name unknown).

Old 11-27-2012, 03:17 AM   #11
(female)

bilquees HB User

hi,
good luck with your surgery. i am going to see my dr. soon to scheule mine.

Old 11-27-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
(female)

Thank you, good luck with your appointment.

My surgery is a week from today. Part of me is just ready to have it over with but getting more anxious about it as well. I've never had general anesthesia before and the thought of it totally spooks me out!

Old 11-27-2012, 02:22 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

It'll be okay NCGirl...its over before you know it...the hardest sleep you've ever had and wake up tired! haha
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-09-2012, 11:19 PM   #14
(female)

Megan2828 HB User

I am four weeks post op from surgery. Calcaneal osteotomy, FDL transfer, and Achilles lengthening. Here is a list of things that I found EXTREMELY helpful!
Things to ask from Santa this year:
1. Leg elevator pillow. (must)
2. Cold Therapy Ice machine by PolarCare Kodiak (expensive but worth every penny...it beats having ice bags leak all over and it ices for up 8 hours straight)
3. Crutches -obviously
4. Knee scooter
5. LOTS of DVD's

Ask your doctor for a note for a handicap placard.
Ask to get your prescriptions meds ahead of time.

Good luck everyone! It will be worth it in the end. I already see my arch and it's awesome!

Good luck everyone

Good luck everyone!

Old 12-10-2012, 12:10 AM   #15
(female)

bilquees HB User
Smile Re: Scheduled PTTD/Flat Foot Reconstruction Surgery - what's down the road?

hi Megan,

It's good to know that you are doing well. Wish you a speedy and safe recovery.
I am booked for surgery on 1st of Jan with the same procedure as yours. Can you tell me what kind of pain management was given . My dr. said I may have the morphine pump, I hope that works ...

Also, you mention cold therapy Ice machine, how exactly where you able to use it, considering you might still be in a below knee cast ?

Thank you and get well soon !!!!

Closed Thread