It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 12:56 AM   #1
(female)

Las Vegas Girl HB User
I'm finally joining the surgery club

Well, I bit the bullet today and called to schedule my surgery. I have had flat feet my whole life and they have always hurt, but I always ignored the pain. I should have had the surgery years ago, but I had to take care of family, work, etc. etc. You all know what I'm talking about. I just can't take the pain any longer. I wanted to have the surgery between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I figured who would want elective surgery between Thanksgiving and Christmas. Was I surprised to find out the first opening he has is January 4th. My insurance changes on January 1st and I just got everything straightened out with them. The scheduler was very nice and she said she will talk to the doctor next week and see if there is anything they can do to get me in before the end of the year. Keeping my finger crossed that they can work something out.

January 4, 2013 (or hopefully sooner)
Left PTT debridement
FDL transfer to navicular
PTT to FDL tenodesis with calcaneal osteotomy
subtalar arthrodesis
medial cuneiform osteotomy with ileac crest allograft
Spring ligament reconstruction

Old 11-16-2012, 05:50 AM   #2
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User
Re: I'm finally joining the surgery club

Good luck! I am having similar procedures done on December 4th. I too wanted to get it done between Thanksgiving and Christmas and was shocked when I called to schedule this week he was able to get me in then.

Starting to freak out about it since it's less than 3 weeks away but I hope in the end it's all worth it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-16-2012, 05:16 PM   #3
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

Hey guys,
I just had my surgery a week ago, ask for the block you will be glad you had gotten it. Mine didnt hardly work but it did some. Also
Ask for the cryo/cuff it's wonderful thing to have its fir the swelling. Make sure you rest rest rest. Let everyone also do things for you.
Good luck on your surgeries.

Old 11-16-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I'll be joining you January 16th! Good luck and relax!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

The following user gives a hug of support to LadyKanner:
xerx790 (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
(female)

Las Vegas Girl HB User

Erin, my doctor suggested the block. I keep going back and forth on it. I really hate the feeling of numbness, but I sure don't like pain. I'll probably go ahead and get the block.

I also looked at the cryo cuff. So you feel it has been helping you? I'm going to talk to my doctor about it.

Thank you for your suggestions. I hope your recovery goes well.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:13 AM   #6
(female)

Las Vegas Girl HB User

Hi NCGirl, I know what you mean about freaking out! I'm a nervous wreck, but I know it has to be done. That's why when I finally got the courage I wanted to do it NOW! I don't want to be sitting around thinking about it. However, I realize how much I need to get done before surgery. I need to get all my equipment and things to aid me. Since I am having my surgery in LA, I also have to find us a place to stay for 3 to 4 weeks. We decided to stay in LA rather than driving back and forth and back and forth from Vegas to LA for doctor's appointments.

Best of luck with your surgery. I'll be looking forward to reading about your surgery and progress.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:02 AM   #7
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Las Vegas Girl View Post
Erin, my doctor suggested the block. I keep going back and forth on it. I really hate the feeling of numbness, but I sure don't like pain. I'll probably go ahead and get the block.

I also looked at the cryo cuff. So you feel it has been helping you? I'm going to talk to my doctor about it.

Thank you for your suggestions. I hope your recovery goes well.
You will be glad you got the block they did mine when I was out so I couldn't feel a thing.
Yes the cryo/cuff really helped with the swelling. I love mine.
Thanks..

Old 11-17-2012, 02:41 PM   #8
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

Nerve blocks in my opinion are needed. Trust me, you do not want to feel the pain. I still had a lot of extreme pain the second and Third night after surgery and it was VERY unpleasant, I could not have imagined what it would have been like if I did not have the nerve blocks.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:13 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I was one of those people who did NOT have a nerve block. I bet it would have been nice. I might have been able to sleep that night. I was pretty uncomfortable. Was alternating percocets and demoral and those still weren't cutting it. It was rough but not near as bad as a previous knee surgery. It was horrendous then.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 03-19-2013, 12:08 PM   #10
(female)

barb880 HB User

how did your surgery go?

Old 03-20-2013, 03:35 AM   #11
(female)

RuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB UserRuthS HB User

Consider yourselves lucky... I live in Canada and when I saw my OS the surgery was booked for 2 years and 2 months from that date!! Thankfully I was called only 6 months later and offered a cancellation date. I took I gratefully and am here now almost 9 weeks post op.

Closed Thread