It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2012, 05:45 PM   #31
Veteran
(female)

Btrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB UserBtrfli1 HB User
re: My A2 PTT reconstruction

Ginger, how long after surgery did you begin PT?

Old 12-20-2012, 05:52 PM   #32
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

I started at 10 weeks, I think. It probably should have been a week or so sooner, but my OS is in Maryland so there was a little lag in communication about when I could begin PWB. I have a great therapist. It's the same place I went to when I had my knee replaced, about 90 seconds from my house. They've done some ultrasound and massage therapy along with the usual exercises.
Ginger

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
Btrfli1 (12-20-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-20-2012, 06:07 PM   #33
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I just returned from my 2 week post op appt. I had pttd surgery on Dec 7 at HSS w DR. DELAND in NYC. 6 hour surgery, 5 days in hospital. Now sporting a fiberglass cast, much lighter, and snug. Still w my foot way up in the air. The scooter is great. Have yet to shower. Need a hair wash . So now 5 weeks of this. And a UTI and a Foley catheter are a pain. The surgery was the easy part. Cinder, let them care for you, and use the meds as much as possible. A 3 day stay would be better. The hard part is at home. So put in a request. I was at risk of a clot from a prior surgery, so I stayed 5 days. The nerve block and the meds bought me some time before returning home. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Phyllis

Old 12-20-2012, 07:23 PM   #34
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User

Thank you and yes we will be checking in with each other. I'm glad we are keeping in touch and yes we were "first" friends. Keep getting better. I have to practice on my skooter over the weekend around the house.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:27 PM   #35
(female)

HI Pesher, thanks for the tips. Maybe I shouldn't try to rush out. I have all my ducks in a row now. Tomorrow is my last day of work. I am a little emotional because I don't know when I will be returning since our district does not offer "light" duty and we are on our feet and on the playground all the time. I guess take one day at a time and see how I improve. We will all definitely keep in touch. Sounds like you had a great surgeon in NYC. I hope mine is just as good here in upstate, NY.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:28 PM   #36
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Haha...strap a brick to your bad foot so you'll know what to expect. Just kidding...sort of.
Ginger

Old 12-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #37
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Cinder--where is your surgery going to be? I know you said upstate NY, and see that you are in Clifton Park. Are you going into Albany? I'm just curious because a good friend of mine lives in Glens Falls and had his achilles reconstructed, but he went all the way up to Saranac Lake.

Just curious for the sake of curious ness.

Good luck with everything!!! I'll be thinking of you!

Liz

Old 12-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #38
(female)

Yes I will be going into Albany. It sure is a small world isn't it. Thanks for the good wishes. I just finished my last day at work and I am a little sad. I think I have a long long road ahead of me and not sure when I will be back to work. At least I have the holidays right now to keep me busy so I don't think about it as much. Thanks so much.

Old 12-21-2012, 04:47 PM   #39
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

Cinder,
Good luck on your up coming surgery. You will do just fine, ask for the block and the cryo/cuff. Let us know how it all goes. Wishing you the best!!

Old 12-21-2012, 04:59 PM   #40
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

And how are you doing? Still NWB? What's next?

Old 12-21-2012, 05:53 PM   #41
(female)

Thank you so much Erin. I appreciate it. My nerves are getting to me and I can't even think of food now. Oh well, I'm sure that will pass - hahahahahaha What is a cryo/cuff? not sure what that is. The only thing I know when my PA called to see what type of anesthsia I will be having is that the doctor always does regional and they said general. I am a little afraid of general.

Old 12-22-2012, 02:41 PM   #42
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

I was a little afraid of general too, I had never had it before, but honestly, it went really smoothly. Apparently the amnesic effects of anesthesia work really on me, because once they gave me the sedative, my memory is really foggy. I don't remember when they put the nerve block catheters in (I remember talking to the anesthegiolist about what they were going to do, they started, and then I woke up and had the blocks in. I also don't remember anything after they told me they were ready, I said bye to my husband, and they started rolling me out of the room to the OR. Next thing I know, I'm waking up in recovery. I was annoyed at first because I thought I was still in the pre-op room and thought I hadn't had surgery yet. I looked down at my foot and saw the huge splint on it and realized it was done! Then I heard a nurse say it was 1:30. They had taken me back to surgery around 9:30, so I was shocked how much time had passed (my surgery itself was just over 3 hours). I'd also suggest, if you are concerned at all about nausea or vomiting (I have a HUGE vomiting aversion), tell the anesthegiolist. I mentioned it in passing, they gave me two drugs in my IV to control nausea, they said they'd give me another during surgery, and they sent me home with a patch behind my ear to help with any side effects once I was home, or nausea from the pain meds. I had not one bit of nausea, it was awesome!

Old 12-22-2012, 03:03 PM   #43
(female)

Thank you so much NC girl. What you wrote was very helpful and I can tell my husband about the length of time too so he knows. I'm glad they will give you a sedative before to help ease the nerves. I have to calm down because I am just a bear right now and everything is making me upset and mad probably because of all this. Thanks for taking the time to help. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: cinder
ginger62 (12-22-2012), LadyKanner (12-22-2012)
Old 12-23-2012, 04:06 PM   #44
(female)

ddill HB Userddill HB Userddill HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder View Post
Thank you so much NC girl. What you wrote was very helpful and I can tell my husband about the length of time too so he knows. I'm glad they will give you a sedative before to help ease the nerves. I have to calm down because I am just a bear right now and everything is making me upset and mad probably because of all this. Thanks for taking the time to help. Happy Holidays to you and your family.
I too am scheduled for surgery but not until 1/31--at Albany Memorial Hospital. Unfortunately I have many days left in which to get nervous. May I ask how comfortable you are with your doctor?

Old 12-23-2012, 05:18 PM   #45
(female)

I heard that Dr. Dixon is the best! Good luck. Wow what a small world. My daughter had surgery with him from a broken ankle last October and ran the Friehofer's run this last past June. I have been seeing him for a very long time. He is with Northeast Orthopedics. Ok Iwill get your through your nerves and let you know the experience. Please keep in touch. Happy Holidays to you and your family.

Closed Thread