It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2012, 09:45 AM   #1
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User
My A2 PTT reconstruction

Hi Everyone

Just wanted to reconnect with everyone so I don't lose touch in the support system. Also wanted to let everyone one know what the procedures are I am having in case anyone has any experiences with them.

A2PTT reconstruction
PTAL allograft
Left: Flexor Digitorum Longus to Posterior Tibail Tendon Transfer

Keep in touch.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User
re: My A2 PTT reconstruction

Hi Cinder,
One thing that I wanted to mention that really helped me not lose my mind before my surgery...lists! I had them for everything. Shopping, things to order on line, what to take to the hospital etc. Adding items, crossing things off, it just helped ease my mind and helped me feel on top of things.
I started PWB yesterday! Just think, we started talking 3 months ago already, and that has flown by. And 3 months from now you'll be all fixed and walking. This next few weeks are going to zip by. Enjoy your Thanksgiving!
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
cinder (11-17-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-17-2012, 10:38 AM   #3
(female)

cinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB Usercinder HB User

Thanks Ginger,

Yes time will fly by with the holiday season. Thanks for the tip on lists. That will be very helpful. Happy Thanksgiving to you too! Keep healing!

Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

Cinder,
I so much agree with Ginger on that. Be prepared! I had 3 months to prepare for my reconstruction surgery in August. I made lists, cleaned and scrubbed every nook and crannie of the house, and bought pillows and pillow cases for elevation for my foot. I had the house ready to come home to and all my home health care items were here. Raised toilet seat, shower chair, cast protector to cover when I showered. Knee walker (it is a must to have)
I had a notebook with chores, items needed, questions for the surgeon ect. It was helpful. I wrote everything down.
Ginger tell me how it felt after PWB...Were you as scared as I was to put your foot on the ground? Did you do it in the boot or just bare foot? Even after stepping for the last 2 weeks, my foot still feels weird. Like it is not mine and the PT therapist told me it will be a long time before it feels normal again, due to the fact that the foot is in very new position, and when I step on it, my brain signals that it is different from the way I used to step. I am rambling.. Can any one relate to this? Or am I just crazy?
I still get a lot of pain around the ankle if I walk to much on it, and the swelling gets bad when I walk too much in a day. As for the top of my foot, along the long bone near big toe, it is still so sensitive and I can barely touch it.
Jodi

Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

You know, I really didn't even have time to think about it. I was so surprised by the fact that I was 2 weeks late getting started that I just grabbed the crutches and did it. I have to use the boot to walk, although I can take it off at any other time. I've been in the boot for 7 weeks (no cast) so it feels pretty normal. Once I'm FWB for 2 weeks I can go to a shoe with a brace. My heel and arch (or where my new arch will be once the swelling goes down) hurt more than anything else. It sure was nice sleeping without that giant boot though.

Cinder, when you are ordering stuff...I got one of those wedge pillows and didn't use it at all ($35). And the cast cover that I ordered I wound up sending back. I don't know how anyone gets those on! Maybe I got the wrong kind, the hole to put your foot in was really small. It seemed like it would barely fit my regular arm, let alone go on over a big cast. Anyway, get your stuff as early as you can so if you need to exchange or return you can get it done before your surgery. Now I'm rambling!

Old 11-17-2012, 03:19 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

Wow Ginger, I am glad it was not difficult for you to walk after all that time. You were probably just glad to be able to do it. I just walked from my bathroom to the computer room with just a sock on my foot (not with the dreaded boot). I use a cane, but I can do it! It hurts and feels tight, but I just go slow. I am doing that here and there to get used to it without the boot. I bet you will feel more comfortable walking in a shoe, like I did. It just felt less bulky then the boot, but it tends to swell up faster when I am in the shoe too long and walking.
I have been sleeping without the boot for weeks now, and it sure feels great. I still am careful turning from side to side in bed, and I have the bed covers very lose, but sleeping in that boot was AWFUL!
We do need to have a future boot burning bonfire!
Jodi
14 weeks post op

Old 11-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #7
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

Cinder - I agree with Ginger on making lists. Once I had my surgery done, I didn't care what was done and what wasn't. I also agree with Ginger on the cast protector. I bought one and ended up returning it without ever using it. The opening was VERY small. I just used a garbage bag and a rubber band.

The one suggestion I would add is to get a second shower chair, if you can. I use one to sit on and one to use as a footstool to lay my surgery leg on. It works beautifully. I use this set up in the bathtub and have a shower head that detaches. I honestly don't know how people do it with only one chair.

Good luck and your surgery will be here before you know it!

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

I use my scooter as the second chair. Just make sure to set the brake!

Old 11-17-2012, 07:35 PM   #9
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

I haven't seen a way to set my brake. Plus I don't think I'd want my scooter to get all wet!

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-17-2012, 07:51 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

I leave it outside the shower with a towel on the seat. Dry off as much as possible while still in the shower, then hop on.
Does your scooter have brakes? I set mine all the time, even when getting on and off just so it doesn't roll out from under me.
Ginger

Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 PM   #11
(female)

Mine has a brake on the right side only, but I could never figure out a way to set it. I thought about using a great big rubber band, but I found I don't really need to set it. Although, the scooter has rolled out from under me a few times! Doh!

When I get out of my 2 shower chair rig, I get right on the scooter and DEFINITELY use a towel on the seat. Man, the first time I took a shower and put my semi-damp leg on the scooter seat, I think I left skin on the seat! I'll never make that mistake again. Towel always on the seat now!

10-18-2012

Old 11-17-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Katy, you should call the company that made it and find out how to set the brake. For safety reasons at least and it really makes a lot more versatile.
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
LabGimp (11-17-2012)
Old 11-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I don't think mine has a locking brake either. I have rubberbanded mine at times to lock it. I don't use mine for the shower though as my shower is up a flight of 15 stairs. I just scoot up on my butt and use crutches. I sit in the shower and get all dried off before crutching to the bedroom. (don't paint that picture...it's not pretty) haha
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #14
(female)

Well I'll be darned! I googled the name of my knee scooter with "manual" and came up with a video on how to put it together (viewed a whopping 232 times). Mine already came put together, so I didn't get a manual. They told how to set the parking brake!! To use the brakes, you just squeeze like any bike brake. To set the brake, you just push the brake lever away from you! Woo hoo!!!

Thanks Ginger for suggesting further investigation! Now my little scooter won't roll away from me!!

Katy

10-18-2012

Old 11-17-2012, 10:53 PM   #15
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

I wonder if we have similar scooters. Mine came put together as well. the brake is similar to that of a bike brake...though even when I pull it, if I'm moving, it doesn't really do a whole lot....lol. I keep it in the car anyway and don't use it in the house, my house is too narrow with too much stuff to make it worth it inside.

Closed Thread