It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 11:30 AM   #1
(female)

Soretoe12 HB User
Having Cheilectomy next week - feeling scared and depressed

Hi All,

I'm having a cheilectomy next week and am feeling increasingly worried and sad about it.

I feel sorry for myself - that I've had joint related problems almost all my life. I was told I had osteoarthritis in my left knee - at age 17.

But - still want/love to be physically active at the same time. My dad- is 73 and has zero joint problems and I look at other people older than me (I'm 45) and they have NO arthritis - or ANYTHING like that. Its just NOT fair.

Sorry to go on like this - but - I feel like no one *gets* this. I am very healthy despite all of this - at least I have that.

I just really feel like there isn't anybody who understands. I, even, get people telling me that they *wish* they had my problem (wanting to work-out but not being able to). ugh.

Anybody else feel this way? Or any good outcome stories on the cheilectomy?

Thanks for listening.

Last edited by Soretoe12; 11-19-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Having Cheilectomy next week - feeling scared and depressed

I cna't imagine being said or depressed about this! Do you know this is a common sports problem? Shaquille O'Neal had a cheilectomy when he was with the Lakers in 2002. Mark Ingram of the New Orleans Saints had one after last season. Both due to what is known as turf toe, runners toe, tennis toe, etc. Most women need them due to wearing high heels. That's why I had one on each toe. A lot of dancers also have this issue. I can jog, dance, do whatever. Just have to wear a lower heel than I used to wear. It's not a big issue. Very common surgery. You'll be fine. I hope you are seeing a sports med ortho who is foot and ankle board certified. They do these all the time.

Last edited by Titchou; 11-19-2012 at 02:22 PM.

The Following User Says Thank You to Titchou For This Useful Post:
Soretoe12 (11-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
(female)

Soretoe12 HB User

Thanks Titchou! - I guess I'm just feeling sorry for myself. I'll keep you posted. :-)

Old 11-20-2012, 02:19 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

JohnOffTheCourt HB UserJohnOffTheCourt HB User

Good luck, Soretoe.

You're not alone. Many of us are in—or have been in—the same situation.

I'm delaying my cheilectomy (plus decompression osteotomy) until I can get a second opinion. I suppose that's the wise course. But, honestly, it was because I was too frightened to have it done right away.

By the way, I'd be interested to know who you're seeing. I'm in Santa Cruz, but I'm visiting with doctors up your way. (Better message me, though. I don't think this board likes us using names.)

Old 11-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
(female)

Soretoe12 HB User

Thanks John..

Sorry I wasn't able to message - but - hopefully the board's ok with me saying that the medical group that my doctor's with is Palo Alto Med. Foundation. I think all of the docs there are great.

Good for you on getting a second opinion - I actually got 3!

And, good luck to you - as well!

The following user gives a hug of support to Soretoe12:
Btrfli1 (12-12-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Hang in there Soretoe! I know it is hard but a positive attitude indirectly affects healing. I am facing a second surgery on my ankle to fix what the girl in physical therapy damaged after my fusion surgery. Just try to relax and know that the pain is only going to be temporary and you'll be better before you know it.

Take care and keep in touch with us! We are always here for support

~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-20-2012, 04:14 PM   #7
Inactive
(male)

Glad to hear you have confidence in your doctors. That's a big part of it.

I went to a DPM. But at the urging of others (including Titchou), I'm seeing an orthopedic surgeon at Stanford.

The cheilectomy I could live with. All of my research seems to point at a fairly high success rate for the procedure. So, you'll probably be fine.

For me, it was the decompression osteotomy that set off alarms. There's some quite debate among the podiatric/orthopedic community regarding the success of that procedure, particularly when nothing biomechanical factors into the injury.

Hope it all goes well, and keep us posted.

Old 12-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
(female)

Soretoe12 HB User

Update:

Hi All,

So - I had the cheilectomy - 10 days ago. And (think) I'm doing Ok. I'm not sure *how* I'm supposed to be feeling at this point! I have my 2 week post op appt. coming up - and I REALLY hope my recovery is on target.

Anyway...the procedure went smoothly...except had to get the holes drilled to promote cartilage production (at least that's what I think my doc was saying).

3 days post-Op - I was able to stop taking the pain meds. Which is great because they made me feel nauseous and

4 days post-Op - I began to put partial weight on my foot - using crutches of course and wearing my surgical shoe.

Not sure - when this happened - but I'm now able to flex my foot (fully) without a problem.

I can, also, curl my toes. But - not too tightly - as I still have the stitches. And not sure how much of this is safe to do....

But - here's the thing - I can't lift my big toe up - that much. Not sure if that's normal at this point....

My question to the group is - when in general - can one lift the big toe up - to at least a 45 degree angle??

I haven't tried to manually move my big toe up - I'm afraid I'll probably hurt myself if I try that!!!

Thanks for listening....

Report Bad Post  

Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #9
Inactive
(male)

No idea about the lifting the toe (since I haven't gone through this yet).

Just wanted to say I'm glad it's go well so far.

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnOffTheCourt For This Useful Post:
Soretoe12 (12-07-2012)
Old 12-07-2012, 02:42 PM   #10
(female)

Soretoe12 HB User

Thanks John....I, also, can't wait to get the surgical bandages off my foot or at least changed! I hope all's going well for you. :-)

Old 12-07-2012, 03:03 PM   #11
Inactive
(male)

Yeah, that first part of recovery sounds like the worst. I think I would be nervous to move anything. But I imagine in time your confidence will build and it will all become more natural. Hang in there.

I get a second opinion on Tuesday. Then I suspect I make my decision. Thanks for asking.

Old 12-09-2012, 10:15 AM   #12
(female)

Soretoe12 HB User

Good luck to you John on your second opinion appt!

I, actually, have my post-op appt. that day! I'm excited but a little nervous at the same time!

Am hoping I at least get the "Ok" on taking normal standing-up showers!

Keep us posted!

Old 12-09-2012, 10:55 AM   #13
Inactive
(male)

If it's none of my business, just say so, but how do you shower/bathe during post-op recovery?

The Following User Says Thank You to JohnOffTheCourt For This Useful Post:
LadyKanner (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 11:11 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

You can get cast covers from a pharmacy or online that has a rubber deal up top. Definitely need a shower chair of you're non weight bearing
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 12-09-2012, 11:12 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

No issue asking that. It's not like you asked for pictures. It's all good!
January 2013

December 2013
Screw Removal

Closed Thread