It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2012, 11:48 AM   #1
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User
How Long Post-Surgery Before I Feel Up to Leaving the House?

As I'm trying to prepare myself and my family for my PTTD surgery in two (gulp) weeks I'm coming up with more and more questions - so bear with me!

I know it will all depend on my recovery and level of pain, but how long before I can realistically expect to feel okay leaving the house for short periods? I've heard over and over the first two weeks are the worst and I'm fully expecting to do absolutely nothing those first two weeks. What about after that? I'm not expecting to be running a marathon, but what about short trips out - to my kids' Christmas parties at school, to look at Christmas lights with my family, things like that? I was starting to get my husband's schedule sorted out for after my surgery and realized how much I'm going to miss out on and it makes me sad . So, just trying to get a feel for what to expect.

Old 11-19-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User
Re: How Long Post-Surgery Before I Feel Up to Leaving the House?

[QUOTE=NCgirl96;5091574]As I'm trying to prepare myself and my family for my PTTD surgery in two (gulp) weeks I'm coming up with more and more questions - so bear with me!

I know it will all depend on my recovery and level of pain, but how long before I can realistically expect to feel okay leaving the house for short periods? I've heard over and over the first two weeks are the worst and I'm fully expecting to do absolutely nothing those first two weeks. What about after that? I'm not expecting to be running a marathon, but what about short trips out - to my kids' Christmas parties at school, to look at Christmas lights with my family, things like that? I was starting to get my husband's schedule sorted out for after my surgery and realized how much I'm going to miss out on and it makes me sad . So, just trying to get a feel for what to expect.[/QUOTE]

I am almost 2weeks,post op, I only been out 1 time the reason is I hate stairs and I have them outside. If u feel comfortable in a week to go out then do it just make sure u take a pillow BC you won't be able to keep your foot down for very long. I sit in the back set of the car with foot up. Good luck with surgery! Keep us posted.

The Following User Says Thank You to erin4 For This Useful Post:
NCgirl96 (11-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-19-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
(female)

NCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB UserNCgirl96 HB User

Thanks, Erin, that makes me feel a little bit better. I already told my son he's going to get to ride in the front seat for a while since I'll need the back for a while, he's beside himself because we don't let him ride in the front very often!

I only have two steps coming into my house so hopefully it won't be too bad to manage those, especially with my husband's help until I get used to them.

Old 11-19-2012, 12:16 PM   #4
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

At 12 days post op, I had to go to the bank to have a notary sign some papers (out for about 45 min)
At 13 days post op, I went to the DMV to get a handicapped placard (out for about 1.5hr)
At 14 days post op, I went to the doc to get my sutures out & into CAM boot (about 3 hours out). That one was exhausting.
At 15 days post op, I did early voting (about 1.5 hr out & about).
At 17 days post op, went with the entire family to JC Penney for free family photos (in CAM boot which was mostly out of frame, about 2 hrs out & about).

So it's doable, but I was quite tired after each outing. Got home and iced and elevated.

If you have a scooter, you can use it as a seat or if you are in a chair, you can use your scooter as a footstool. That elevates your foot and no one trips over your foot.

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-19-2012, 09:08 PM   #5
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Those steps are awful with this heavy awkward boot. I made about one outing per week. I used a wheelchair with a leg support. The most awkward part was getting out and back into the house. Once in the chair it was not bad. Just be careful about people bumping your foot. Ice before and after your outing. Good luck.....I hope your surgery goes well.
The first week was the worst for me, then had mostly nerve pain like electrical shocks running through the foot. I take lyrica for that and pain meds after having it down for awhile.
Getting into the van was tricky. Good luck.....

Old 11-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

I am 3 weeks post op....still icing and elevating

Old 11-20-2012, 10:22 AM   #7
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

I was out to the surgeons office after 7 days to get a cast on, and after two weeks I was doing the grocery shopping ( in mobility cart) and going out to eat with family. Even at home after only a few weeks, I was cooking and doing some cleaning (using knee walker.) The key is to take it slow. Do not over due it. I got very tired and exhausted easily up to a month or two after surgery. You will learn your limitations very quickly being out and about, your foot (pain and discomfort) will tell you when it has had enough.
Jodi

Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #8
(female)

Pesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB UserPesher HB User

I am eight days.. I have tremendous pain. I am trying to avoid painkillers Because they put my bladder to sleep. So now I have a UTI And I'm taking sulfur drugs. Nobody told me about icing. How can you do that when the Cast is so gigantic? Does the cold get through the cast? I still have the splint on.

The following user gives a hug of support to Pesher:
ginger62 (12-15-2012)
Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Pesher, try applying the ice pack to the back of your knee. It sounds weird but it really helps. Have you talked to the dr. about alternate meds? It is a horrible shame for you not to be able to take anything for pain, And if nothing else, good old cranberry juice for the UTI. Good luck!

Old 12-15-2012, 01:33 PM   #10
(female)

The ice machine thing (whatever it's called) was a lifesaver for me. I don't know how with as thick as this splint is it can actually get through but I can tell a huge difference when I use it. I am 11 days post-op today, and stopped using it yesterday because the swelling is down and hasn't come back, but I don't know what I would have done without it. My pain has not been bad, but I have noticed not only a difference in the swelling but also the pain when I ice it. I iced it A LOT the first week and I think it made all the difference.

Old 12-15-2012, 06:28 PM   #11
(female)

smalldog HB User

I had pes cavus (which consists of different procedures like soft tissue & osteotomy) and ankle stabilization. I had mine Dec. 3. I am still in a cast. My first day out was 6 days post op for church (1 1/2hrs). I was exhuasted when I got home. Next was 12/12 and I was out from 945am till about 2pm. I had my leg up using the knee scooter and wasn't in extreme pain like I was the first few days after my surgery. Then I went food shopping (with help) 12/14 for about an hour. The thing that hurts the most is my ankle. My family has stated that I am doing really well with the pain because 6 days post op I was out of the house. I have my cast on till second week of January then I go to a boot. I personally have only iced once because my cast is thick. The swelling went down in my leg within a week and half. I go to the doc Monday and will be asking about the icing.

Closed Thread