HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Foot & Ankle Problems (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/)
-   -   Multiple Foot Surgeries - still pain (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/foot-ankle-problems/928297-multiple-foot-surgeries-still-pain.html)

Chubstercat 11-19-2012 05:43 PM

Multiple Foot Surgeries - still pain

Okay, tossing this out here for any opinions/option. I have had multiple surgeries starting in April 2008; bunionectomy with 2nd metatarsal shortening, 1st MPT joint fusion in January 2010. Both sesamoids removed in October 2011. I also hard surgeries to remove all the hardware. Still in horrible pain. Now, the podiatrist who took the sesamoids out says that a bone is pointing down in my foot (sort of like a heel spur I guess) and inflaming the nerves. Every step I take hurts and standing is horrible. Have custom orthotics which help very little. Too any of you thinking foot surgery is no bid deal, I beg to differ. I am now 52 and fear of ending up in a wheelchair. Foot surgery ruined my life. I don't know what to do. This pod proposes shaving down the bone which involves 4 weeks on crutches. Women please stay away from foot damaging high heels especially if bunions run in your family. I wish I did. Forget vanity. I am in horrible pain with every step. People don't understand or do I feel they care. They can be so cold. I don't know where to turn.

LadyKanner 11-19-2012 07:15 PM

Re: Multiple Foot Surgeries - still pain

Is your podiatrist certified in foot/ankle reconstruction surgery? Very often we see on here where someone went to someone who was solely a podiatrist and ended up with bad results. I would highly suggest seeing someone with that certification if you're not already. Do you have a second opinion? I hope you get some relief soon! You're too young to be worrying about being in a wheelchair.
~Kimberly

Chubstercat 11-20-2012 04:00 AM

[QUOTE=LadyKanner;5091816]Is your podiatrist certified in foot/ankle reconstruction surgery? Very often we see on here where someone went to someone who was solely a podiatrist and ended up with bad results. I would highly suggest seeing someone with that certification if you're not already. Do you have a second opinion? I hope you get some relief soon! You're too young to be worrying about being in a wheelchair.
~Kimberly[/QUOTE]

Yes, they all were. I was told by a doc that works for a malpractice firm that bad results are not always malpractice. Please anyone contemplating foot surgery do every thing you can to avoid it. Well, I am one step away from the chair when I sit all the time. I am a realist. I see how I have gone downhill, who knows me better - me!

xerx790 11-20-2012 10:13 AM

My mother had two surgeries done for bunions and hammer toes, both times she did not get relief. I blame that on the surgeons that did the operation. She now is very crippled and has pain. These podiatrists/surgeons were not experienced enough to be doing her surgeries. When I became crippled from having severe flat feet and huge bunions, I called a major teaching hospital to find a surgeon who was suited for foot and ankle reconstruction because I only wanted one surgery done per foot because I knew the pain and recovery was going to be a long and hard process. I had one foot done and I am 14 weeks post op. My repaired foot compared to my bad foot is incredible. It gets better by the day, even though the walking and healing takes so long. I was told recovery is 6 months to one year per foot. My foot surgery was a very big deal and my case was very complicated, as he did 5 procedures on my one foot. I feel I made the right decision as to the foot surgeon I chose. That is so very important!
Jodi

Chubstercat 11-20-2012 04:45 PM

[QUOTE=jmarch67;5092116]My mother had two surgeries done for bunions and hammer toes, both times she did not get relief. I blame that on the surgeons that did the operation. She now is very crippled and has pain. These podiatrists/surgeons were not experienced enough to be doing her surgeries. When I became crippled from having severe flat feet and huge bunions, I called a major teaching hospital to find a surgeon who was suited for foot and ankle reconstruction because I only wanted one surgery done per foot because I knew the pain and recovery was going to be a long and hard process. I had one foot done and I am 14 weeks post op. My repaired foot compared to my bad foot is incredible. It gets better by the day, even though the walking and healing takes so long. I was told recovery is 6 months to one year per foot. My foot surgery was a very big deal and my case was very complicated, as he did 5 procedures on my one foot. I feel I made the right decision as to the foot surgeon I chose. That is so very important!
Jodi[/QUOTE]
All the surgeons who operated on me where board certified. Surgery has no guarantee. A foot and ankle OS that I went to told me that it is impossible to predict who will do good or bad with the surgery. I was one of the unfortunates who did not have a good outcome. Bunion surgery is major surgery contrary to what most thing. I am crippled with pain at 52 and don'[t know where to turn. I don't walk anymore that I have to. I know it is easy for people to scoff at what I am saying, but they are not the one in pain, I am. Any doctors reading this, if you have any advice, please reply. I want serious helpful replies only.

foxandhound 11-20-2012 06:10 PM

I am so sorry for what you are going through. If it were me and my surgeries did not go well (a major fear of mine), I would start looking for the people at the TOP of their game in ankle and foot surgery. Go straight to the Best Foot and Ankle surgeons in the country. Whatever your insurance will allow. Time to research everyone really closely. Someone can correct what happened. Don't have blind faith in the abilities of a pod/surgeon/other, time to find the best. Where do you live?

Chubstercat 11-21-2012 03:54 AM

[QUOTE=foxandhound;5092326]I am so sorry for what you are going through. If it were me and my surgeries did not go well (a major fear of mine), I would start looking for the people at the TOP of their game in ankle and foot surgery. Go straight to the Best Foot and Ankle surgeons in the country. Whatever your insurance will allow. Time to research everyone really closely. Someone can correct what happened. Don't have blind faith in the abilities of a pod/surgeon/other, time to find the best. Where do you live?[/QUOTE]
Upstate New York.

foxandhound 11-22-2012 12:36 AM

Google Hospital for Special Surgery. Many users here have used them.

Northwind 11-22-2012 07:04 PM

Hi Chubstercat, I was wondering how you were doing these days. I'm sorry to hear you are still having problems. I think foxandhound has given you some good advice....find the best surgeon you can find and go see what that person says. Surely you will find relief.

I hope you do find relief soon.