It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 03:45 PM   #1
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User
Steri-strips: When did you get them off?

I am now almost 5 weeks post op and have been in the CAM boot for 3 weeks. I take my CAM boot off to shower and occasionally take it off when I'm just sitting in my chair so I can massage my foot. I still have the Steri-strips on my 3 incisions. The incisions are clearlly healed after 5 weeks, but the Steri-strips still remain. I can see lots of scabbing under the strips.

My question: Should I peel them off myself or should I wait and let the doctor do it? When did you get rid of your Steri-strips? Pros and cons either way? Thanks for your input.

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-21-2012, 06:04 PM   #2
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User
Re: Steri-strips: When did you get them off?

Oh dear LabGimp! Not fun at all
I understand with steri-strips is that they eventually peel off themselves, especially if you are able to shower.
Not sure about pulling them off - I guess it depends on when you are seeing your doctor.
I was lucky, I had an appt 10days post op to get back slab changed to fibreglass cast and mine were removed then and the wounds re-dressed as I had dissolvable stitches - which I was able to re-dress myself for a few days once the cast came off and I was able to wipe them and dissolve what was left of them in the shower - which helped the scabs come away naturally.
Sorry - not much help.......

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #3
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Try soaking your foot. That should loosen the strips so they come off themselves. At 3.5 weeks mine are still intact but I can't even stand to look or touch the incisions. My foot looks like
Frankenstein! 6 big incisions......

Old 11-21-2012, 07:46 PM   #4
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Once I could tell that there were scabs under my steri strips I started to pull them off. My best advice is give them a little tug, and if you are met with no resistance, keep pulling. If I was met with ANY tug back from my skin, I let it stay on, even if it was flapping around (you can cut it if you need to) Once the scab underneath the strip is ready to come off, it makes the strip sort of just fall off. I was told by my doctor not to soak my foot until my incision was totally healed (no scabs at all). I don't know what you were told. I was also told that I could use a washcloth on the strips to help encourage them to come off.

This might be common sense--but they are NOT band aids. Don't treat them as such.

Good luck!

Old 11-21-2012, 08:27 PM   #5
(female)

teil3156 HB Userteil3156 HB User

Mine were taken off a week after my surgery. My skin reacts to adhesive alot of the time and they were driving me nuts being under the spliint. My doctor said that if they came off easily then he would take them off.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

I had my stitches taken out at 2 weeks and he put steri strips on the incisions. At four weeks, he took the steri strips off and cleaned off any scabbing that I had. Sounds gross I know haha
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-22-2012, 03:48 PM   #7
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

Thank you all for your responses! I think I am most afraid of my doctor actually being the one to take the steri-strips off because getting the stitches out was soooo painful!

My surgery was 5 weeks ago today, and I had the stitches taken out and steri-strips put on 3 weeks ago. I see my doc one week from today. I don't see any loosening of the strips so far and giving a very gentle tug is painful.

I wonder if the incisions are extra painful because I am sensitive to the adhesive. I have always been sensitive to band-aids and any adhesive stuck to my skin. Maybe the steri-strips are just adding to the sensitivity??

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-22-2012, 09:32 PM   #8
(female)

The pulling off of the strips has commenced. I peeled about 1/2 in or a tad more from each one. They felt pretty dry and ready to separate. The skin underneath looked pretty good. I think I'll cut them back tomorrow after my shower. I wonder if they will be more sensitive without the strips as a barrier. Hmmm. The actual incisions are still covered.

10-18-2012

Old 11-23-2012, 12:06 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

Katy, re:the steri-strips (although I think you should leave them on). When I shower, my surgical foot gets cold, so I've taken to soaking a washcloth with hot water and draping it over my foot. I hose it down occasionally to keep it warm and have found it loosens the dry skin. Perhaps this would work with your strips.
Enjoy your Friday Thanksgiving! I've been working with my crutches all day. I do not like them.
Ginger

Closed Thread