It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #1
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Relearning to walk--advice needed

Hi everyone,
I know that each person's recovery is different, and I know a lot of the questions I'm about to ask will be answered at my PT appointment on Tuesday but figured I'd get the public opinion as well as the pro one.

I am 13 weeks post op for an ORIF calcaneus fracture reconstruction and subtalar arthrodesis. Six weeks ago I was put in a CAM boot and told to work up to full weight bearing in it. Today I was given the green light to be out of the boot. Told to just go cold turkey and go back into shoes. I'm weaning myself out....cold turkey is scary. I'm boot-less in the house, but if I go out, I'm wearing it, for now. I'm keeping my knee scooter until Dec. 4th or so, which is when my month's rental is up. I don't want to lose it, lol.

I know LadyKanner did through other conversations, but did anyone else have electric shock feelings when the put weight on their foot without their boot? How did you go about walking again? Any tips or tricks? Should I get a cane? I have a walker now, but no crutches.

I try taking steps, but I'm so scared that I'll mess something up.

Thanks for reading! Have a great Turkey Day everyone!

The following user gives a hug of support to AdkLizard46:
ginger62 (11-22-2012)
Old 11-22-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User
Re: Relearning to walk--advice needed

Yes, I had/and still have the electric type shock feeling when I step and walk. If I am off of my foot for some time, it takes a while to get back to stepping on it, even if I am only off of it while sleeping. Just ease into it. I suggest you take your (regular walker) and do transfer exercises. Stand on good foot and slowly transfer weight to repaired foot but keep the walker there for support if you need it. I thought going cold turkey was too extreme, so I gradually put weight on it. I know it sounds scary, but try to put your foot into a tennis shoe with the laces out and the tongue up. It was not as bad as I thought. It felt easier to step wearing the tennis shoe then the CAM boot. At my 10 week post op appointment, the surgeon told me that my foot was strong enough to put all of my weight on it if I could and that I would not hurt it. Of course our healing is all different. If your surgeon told you to go cold turkey and get into a shoe, then it must be healed quite well I am guessing??
Jodi

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-22-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
(female)

LabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB UserLabGimp HB User

I get the pins and needles and zings, too, especially when I put weight on my heel. When I rub my foot, the zings are strongest in my big toe. The more I rub and put weight on it, the less the zings.

I would strongly suggest getting crutches. I have crutches and a scooter, but it's the crutches where I can start to feel like I can safely and naturally put weight on my surgery foot. Start slow and build up. I even stood on both foot with no crutches and gradually put more weight on my surgery foot each time. I still have yet to take an actual step, but I'm getting close. I've lurched a few times off my scooter toward my big comfy chair. That's not exactly controlled, but more of a hop. Maybe your PT will give you crutches. Otherwise, I got a pair at goodwill. Or borrow some. I really think they are key into transitioning into walking.

Good luck and Happy Thanksgiving!
Katy

10-18-2012
Surg repair of Peroneal Tendon Subluxation w/Fibular Groove deepening, Ligament reconstruction, debridement of osteophytes (spurs); orig injury 1976 car accident, broken ankle & femur

Old 11-22-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Erik7327 HB User

I had the same surgery as you just a couple weeks before you 8/2. I found that using a single crutch opposite the normal shoe really helped lessen the electric shocks, AND walking in the swimming pool. In fact from 6 weeks on I found NOTHING helped lessen those shocks like walking a lot in the pool.

Last edited by Erik7327; 11-22-2012 at 02:02 PM.

Old 11-22-2012, 06:45 PM   #5
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Thanks everyone!

I managed to get my foot into my hiking boots from this summer. I don't currently own a pair of sneakers (!), so they are the only lace ups I own. For a person who currently works at a shoe store, my lack of footwear is ridiculous. Haha!

I realized today one of my biggest problems with my new found walking. It's not the electric shocks I get when I put my foot down...it's the fact that my knee and foot don't know how to cooperate anymore.

When I go to take a step, I can either flex my ankle or bend my knee. I can't do both at the moment. So when I try and step, I lock up, and almost fall over. When I finally realized that was what was happening it made a lot more sense. I can't wait to get to PT and have them help me out with that (one of the things my doc checked on the script was "gait training"). I certainly need it!

I've been flexing my foot a lot, trying to loosen it up. It's SUPER tight along the incision line. If I pull my toes up, I can feel the skin tug at the scar. Weird.

I hate how purple it turns when its down. I know I'll have that for a long time though.

Hope everyone has a great night and had a good day on Thanksgiving!

If you are going out shopping (because you are insane! =P), be safe. I have to work tomorrow, but thankfully not until the afternoon!

Liz

Old 11-24-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Zerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB UserZerk HB User

A walker is more stable then crutches. For me there was over lap. I still used the wheel chair in the mornings for awhile, then walker part of day, and cane for a few months. I was able to hobble around ok at 4 months with nothing, but it is best to use an aid and practice good form, and probably keeps you from less pain.

Ice your foot 2-3 times a day, more if you patience. Elevate it as much you can too. A compression sock will help with swelling, may want to talk to doc first. Some swelling is good for recovery.

There are times when you will walk a little sloppy, and thats ok. Walking perferct all the time, is hard, and you still want to have a life. Not that I am saying just give up on it.

They had me doing different types of walks too, one from in front other, weaving, ect.

I broke femur on opposite side, so things were different.

Merino wool socks, light hikers in summer. No they are not itchy. Good comfy shoes. Look into orthotic too. Get it adjusted if need be. 2nd and 3rd seemed even better, maybe due to wear marks. But they did adjust the first for me.

Old 11-25-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User

Did your Dr. give you a lace up ankle brace? You might ask him/her about that, if not. You could also get one of those elastic ankle braces -- sort of like a tight sock with no toes. I ordered mine online. I use one when sleeping and sometimes even under my brace. It seems to help with support, although I have to take it off if my toes swell too much.

I never could seem to get used to crutches, and a walker is what keeps me upright while walking with brace/sneakers. I am getting pretty close to switching to a cane, I think, but it's taking longer than I thought. It may be just a mental block. I still get the electric shock feeling occasionally. Walking in a pool does seem to help, and also the pressure from the water will help reduce swelling -- my PT recommends that to help push the fluid up and out of the foot.

Closed Thread