It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2012, 06:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
When to take less pain meds...

It's day 4 after my peroneal tendon transfer surgery and I'm wondering when to start spreading out the meds. I'm taking Percocet two 3/325 pills every 4 hours. I don't think I'm ready yet, but I'm wondering when I should be.

I know everyone is different... But after letting the pain get out of control on the second day - it took 12 hours to get it back under control! - I do not want to risk that again.

So what worked for you? I know it will be different for all, but maybe I can use your experiences to figure out a plan for myself.

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 11-24-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User
Re: When to take less pain meds...

I was on my pain meds for a long time. Probably longer than most people should be.

I started by keeping the 4 hour schedule (I was also on Perc), and then one day i sort of just was able to go another hour or two between doses. And then I was able to just take one when I went to bed, and woke up about 6 hours later to take another one. After about a week or so of that, I wouldn't wake up for that second one. After a couple of weeks (maybe 2? I don't know, it could have been shorter), I started trying tylenol PM instead, since I wasn't really taking the perc for the pain as much as the falling asleep benefits. After about a month or so (I know, a long time) I was done with the meds.

That was my experience. To sum up: listen to your body. If you feel like the meds are tapering off at your 4 hour mark, take another one. Let your body go a little more each day, but never so that you go into that pain cycle (it's hell, I concur).

Good luck!!!

Liz

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-24-2012, 07:08 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

My procedure was different but I started reducing the amount after the first week. Maybe try just taking one pill less but not until you feel comfortable. Don't reduce them just because you think it's right. Definitely don't want to risk your pain getting out of control again. Just go as you're comfortable.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-24-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB Userginger62 HB User

I thought on day 3 or 4 that I was ready to cut back. Wrong. After 10 days or so I found that I wasn't watching the clock wondering if it was okay to take another. Like everyone says, listen to your body. You need to rest comfortably to heal. Also, keep in mind that there will be bumps and bruises (literally, and Dr. appts and stitches out etc.) along the way so if you can, keep some in reserve.
I recently started PWB and am really feeling it at the end of the day. Tylenol usually covers it but not always.
Ginger

The Following User Says Thank You to ginger62 For This Useful Post:
Snowrunner (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User

Thanks! I will listen to my body. Since I'm still really sore at the 4houratk, I won't be pushing it yet!

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 11-24-2012, 02:29 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

xerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB Userxerx790 HB User

Everyone has great advice, I say to space them out first, like take every 4 hours then every 6 hours, then every 8 hour, 10 hours, 12 hours, ect. I hate taking pain meds and especially narcotic ones, and got into trouble a few times and did not stay ahead of the pain, then had to suffer many hours to catch up. I learned the hard way a few times, but listening to your body is the best thing to do. Try to go as long as you can, but then don't wait for the pain to be too much before you give in.
Jodi

Old 11-24-2012, 07:10 PM   #7
(female)

erin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB Usererin4 HB User

I stopped mine almost a week out of surgery, I only taken 1 to sleep the other day. listen to you body.

The Following User Says Thank You to erin4 For This Useful Post:
Snowrunner (11-24-2012)
Old 11-24-2012, 11:26 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB UserHollywood48 HB User

For the first 3-4 days (I think, I'd have to go back to my old posts to see) I took two 7.5/325 percocets q4h as prescribed. I set my alarm and woke up in the middle of the night (I think since I was a natural night owl, I did 4-8-12 so I'd only have to wake up once in the middle of the night). After those 3-4 days (and honestly, I wasn't sure I needed both of those every 4 h all 3-4 days, but I did it because I was too scared to get behind the pain and everything was going well), I went to 1 Percocet every 4h and then started stretching it to 6 hours, 8 hours, until I only needed 2 per day total. Usually 1 by mid afternoon and 1 at bedtime. I also saved pills and ALWAYS took one 30 min before my doctors appts so that it would take effect by the time I got back into see him. Except for getting my stitches out (which still wasn't as bad as the first time), I had no pain at my visits with casts going on and off and pressing on my ankle and foot, etc. I also saved some for when it came time for PT and weight bearing. I did all that saving, but my doctor rocked my world so much because he gave me a refill for Percocet EVERYTIME I saw him and I NEVER had to ask. When I tried to tell him I still had a bit leftover, he said "well you aren't going to see me for 3 whole weeks so you may need it"! He so cares for his patients' pain! Before surgery, I was going to Mexico and he knew I was going because I asked if I still could. I had told him the NSAIDs alone weren't working for pain well so he wrote me for a,different one and then said I want to give you something stronger because you will be out of the country, unable to access it and I don't want you hurting on your trip! Wow! So, got off track sorry! He still amazes me, but all that to say, I had saved all these meds up and he gave me a new supply every visit until I was done with PT and he released me. Let your body guide you. It's a very painful surgery and you want this to heal as well as it can and the faster the better!! Good luck girlie!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:04 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

So today was day 4 and I am still taking the 5/325 Percocet every 4 hours... I took ibuprofen twice today (to boost the percocet) at the halfway point between Percocet doses so I'm still having break-through pain.

I'll start lessening once I'm not having the breakthrough pain. I'm hoping that tomorrow is the first day of no ibuprofen.

This surgery is definitely more painful than the first. But it was more drastic. So I guess that makes sense.

Thank goodness for all of the help here...

Oh! My doc was great about meds. I'd told him before surgery. I was worried about having enough over the Thanksgiving Holiday, so he wrote a bigger amount prior to surgery. And when I had the surgery itself, he handed me another. I think I'll call Monday to be sure. I actually had some left over from March and used that up first.

Okay... Starting to babble, so back to bed for me!

Old 11-25-2012, 06:01 AM   #10
(male)

Mr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB UserMr Blotto HB User

For what it is worth, I was taking the 5/325 Percocets every 4 hours and tramadol every 6 hours for the first 2 weeks. But here are two words of advise:

1 - Not to get gross, but to NOT underestamate the consipating effects on narcotics - if you are not doing so already, start taking a stool softener, and keep up on your fluids and fresh fruits & veg!!!

2 - When I stopped taking Percocet, I went "cold turkey", and really went through withdrawl (felt awful and had bad thoughts /depression). If i had to do it over again, I would ween myself off of them gradually.

I hope your pain level goes down soon - we all have been there and know how awful it is to deal with contant post-surgical pain - it sucks!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Blotto For This Useful Post:
Snowrunner (11-25-2012)
Old 11-25-2012, 07:41 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Agree with Blotto on all! If you're not using a softener and having fruits and veggies you may need dynamite. And ditto on the depression coming off them. I did the same thing. I cried about everything. Had to start taking them again and wean off.
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-25-2012, 08:31 PM   #12
(female)

LisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB UserLisaLouLou HB User

Same here, it gets really bad if you don't take the stool softener (found out the hard way), and you could end up with a serious condition if you don't. And I had the same experience when I stopped taking oxycodone after being on it for several weeks.

Old 11-26-2012, 02:57 AM   #13
(female)

angelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB Userangelee43 HB User

Oh wow! I was alternating between oxycodone (endone), tramadol and panadeine forte as well as lyrica for nerve pain after my surgery - all of my emotions and feelings etc now make a lot of sense whilst taking them and after stopping them. I have never had pain killers like this until my surgery - and it all makes sense. I don't feel so silly after all

Old 11-26-2012, 08:56 AM   #14
Veteran
(female)

Thanks! I'm trying to lengthen to two 5/325 Percocet every 4 1/2 hours... It worked over night but I def have breakthrough pain today. Took some Advil and am icing. It would be nice to take less percocet.

I've been taking the stool softener regularly and am also taking probiotics. I haven't pooped since surgery last Tuesday! I'm tooting though. Sheesh.

I remember this from last time. Sigh...

Old 11-26-2012, 03:43 PM   #15
(female)

AdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB UserAdkLizard46 HB User

Good luck with it all.

I don't about your procedure, but I know my doctor told me not to take anything but tylenol for pain. All the other things can inhibit healing and bone growth. That's just my experience though and what my doc told me. Everyone is different.

Narcotic constipation is the worst...feel better soon!

Closed Thread