It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2012, 11:39 AM   #1
(female)

Jill1201 HB User
Bunion surgery 1 week ago

Hi all! I had bunion surgery with osteotomy on 11/19/12. I have 2 screws that will stay inside my foot. The surgery went great and I have been in very little pain. I only have taken a few pain meds. I have been walking in a surgical boot since leaving the hospital. After using ice and staying off of it for 2 days, I have pretty much gone back to my normal levels of activity with the boot on. It does still swell and my toes look like bruised sausages (LOL). I was wondering if the doctor will take the stitches out tomorrow at my first post op visit tomorrow and release me back to work. Everything I have been reading says that recovery should be 6 weeks-year. I'm afraid that I may rush recovery. I would like to hear everyone's experiences. How long were you off?? When did they take out the stitches?? That's me...bouncing off the walls! LOL

Old 11-26-2012, 05:10 PM   #2
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User
Re: Bunion surgery 1 week ago

Wow, I have a friend who just went through that surgery.
She said she never had much pain, like you, but was told to be non weight bearing for 6weeks. Are you sure you should be walking on it?
Hope you heal well.
Bonnie

The Following User Says Thank You to tenderfoot For This Useful Post:
Jill1201 (11-26-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-26-2012, 05:17 PM   #3
(female)

Jill1201 HB User

Hi Bonnie. They put the boot on at the hospital when I left so I guess it's ok I am walking on it.(?) The doctor told my husband to have me walk on the heel part and to NOT walk without it. I have a feeling I may get yelled at tomorrow at my appointment!! I'm not very good at following directions when it comes to medical things. My thoughts are, if it hurts, i'll stop. Maybe heading back to work this week may be a bit ambitious. I guess I will find out tomorrow

Old 11-26-2012, 05:56 PM   #4
(female)

tenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB Usertenderfoot HB User

Jill, I hope it is ok....they should have given you crutches if you are to be nwb. She had the boot for several weeks before she was allowed to walk on it with the boot on.

I have a boot after my surgery....I hate it! It is so big, heavy & clunky.....I am at 4 weeks post op...still nwb ....can't. Imagine even partial weight bearing....I worry about screwing up the healing when I take it off to bathe.. It never feels right when it goes back into the boot. It is hard to know if my icing is doing any good through the boot.

My friend went back t o work at her desk job after a week,but used a knee scooter and kept it elevated. If your toes look like sausages, I think you should be icing and elevating and not rushing it. My Dr said elevation is key to healing. Be careful....
Bonnie

The Following User Says Thank You to tenderfoot For This Useful Post:
Jill1201 (11-26-2012)
Old 11-26-2012, 06:21 PM   #5
(female)

Jill1201 HB User

Bonnie..I know what you mean about the boot! I have been walking without it quite a bit (don't tell my Dr.). I tend to be a huge klutz and am afraid I will hurt myself worse with the boot on. He did inform me that he will be able to tell if I have been walking without it. I'm a terrible patient! He'll probably put a cast on it if he knows what I have been up to. Maybe that would be a good thing because I wouldn't be able to take it off! Heal well

Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User

Stitches are typically left in for two weeks. I worry you may be pushing it too fast Jill. That seems really soon. I never had that procedure myself but it just seems to be too much too soon. Take it easy and definitely follow the doctors orders. Best of luck to you!
~Kimberly
January 2013
Subtalar Arthrodesis Revision
Talonavicular Fusion Hardware Removal

December 2013
Screw Removal

Old 11-27-2012, 01:49 PM   #7
(female)

Jill1201 HB User

Doctor appointment went well. Foot looks fantastic! Screws still where they should be. Didn't get the stitches out yet..hopefully next Thursday when I go back. I asked if I can go back to work, and he laughed. Said I will most likely be off the rest of the year. He told me to keep doing exactly what I have been because there is minimal swelling. I feel guilty being off work so long, seeing how it feels pretty good! But, I'm going to do what the doctor says (mostly..LOL).

Closed Thread

Tags
bunion, osteotomy, painless, recovery time, surgery