It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 04:56 AM   #16
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User
Re: Triple Athrodesis and Running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Usmcdave0331 View Post
Powerplay,

That sure is good news to hear today! I'm looking forward to potentially standing barefoot without pain. I got my triple athrodesis and achilles surgery yesterday at the balboa naval hospital.

My surgeon said I will never run again. She said if my kid was in traffic I would be able to run him down and get him out of danger. But I went and talked to the physical therapist who got me healed up enough after my achilles surgery to get out the door on the deployment when everyone said I wouldn't. She told me "you're far too stubborn to not run again. We'll get you up and running!" And I believe her. I told her I want to be able to beat my kid at basketball for the next 18 to 20 years. She told me "you will play basketball. It will be a bit janky. But you will play."

So everyone take it for what it is worth. What I get from all this is; it's up to you. I am going to start a thread and keep everyone updated on my progress.

God bless. Take care. I am about one day out, the pain is pretty rough. The doctor told me "It's going to feel like your foot got hit by a sledgehammer." It does.

I will start a new thread for all those young athletic types who want to know what to expect.
Well I didn't have your type of surgery but I've had two with work done on my PTT and I'm getting ready for my thrid which will be a tendon transfer. My doctor said I would never run again myself but I wasn't much of a runner to begin with. The most running i did was on a trendmill and even that Ihave to be careful with cause I'm accident prone.

I did however figure skate(up until my foot pain became so bad) I will never skate again. My right foot is my landing foot and if Idid ever try, it wouldn't be good because the tendons on that foot are bad. My doctor said I could skate around with my little brother if I wanted but now he said even that's out of the question with my tendon transfer coming up. It sucks cause he ask me all the time but I understand

My question to you is..why if your doctor says you will never be able to run long distances are you going to try? You went though all this work to get a better and healthy foot but running could mess it all up. I think your son would understand if you can't run miles or play long games of basketball. He would want you not to hurt yourself. There other things you could do like go swimming, take him lazer tagging. You could still be active though. I'm still allowed to go to the gym and workout..just got to be more careful with what I do. That's just my two cents.

Congrats on a good surgery though and I'm sure your pain will get better everyday. Just keep your head up and think about the end goal.

4/5/12 posterior tibial tendon debridement (failed)

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 10:32 AM   #17
Veteran
(female)

Snowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB UserSnowrunner HB User
I just want to wish you luck. I chose to have surgery for the reason you are pursuing it. I have two boys - ages 5 and 7 and two falls ago realized I couldn't chase a ball down when playing catch with them without ending up in pain. Reason enough. I'm didn't have the same procedure but do want to encourage and caution you. Definitely go for it... Aim high.

But here's my caveat... Don't be in a hurry. Go slow and listen to your body and your doctor. And if you PT differs in opinion than your doc you need to consider what they each know. I had to have two surgeries in 8 months. I'm still not sure if it was because I pushed too hard (doc says no... But maybe he was just being nice because he's slowed me down a ton this time...) or if it was because tendons don't get a lot of blood flow...

I wish you the best! I'm hoping to be running in a year...

Brostrom ligament reconstruction (success), joint debridment, perineal tendon tear repair (fail): 3/22/12

Old 01-27-2013, 02:16 AM   #18
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

Hey Snow,

Good to hear where you are coming from with your prior surgeries and the same motivation for getting healthy as I have! My physical therapist is awesome. She told me I would end up needing a triple a few years ago, but told me with bracing she would be able to get me out the door with my unit. She knows how stubborn I am, and when everyone else told me I couldn't do it she stuck through it with me and we had a lot of very extremely challenging PT sessions. I tend to trust her because she knows me and I have been at square one with her. And also, because I don't have any room for negativity. I'm going to get up and going. 27 is too young to not be able to run again. 67 is too young to be told you can't run again! So I just need a positive mind frame, a positive physical therapist, a loving and supportive family, and a surgeon who could get me to step one!

Old 01-27-2013, 02:20 AM   #19
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

Hey Snow,

Good to hear where you are coming from with your prior surgeries and the same motivation for getting healthy as I have! My physical therapist is awesome. She told me I would end up needing a triple a few years ago, but told me with bracing she would be able to get me out the door with my unit. She knows how stubborn I am, and when everyone else told me I couldn't do it she stuck through it with me and we had a lot of very extremely challenging PT sessions. I tend to trust her because she knows me and I have been at square one with her. And also, because I don't have any room for negativity. I'm going to get up and going. 27 is too young to not be able to run again. 67 is too young to be told you can't run again! So I just need a positive mind frame, a positive physical therapist, a loving and supportive family, and a surgeon who could get me to step one!

Thanks for the advice! My wife made me promise I wouldn't go too far too fast, which I have a tendency in doing when it comes to pushing my body before it is ready!

Old 01-27-2013, 08:14 PM   #20
(male)

Usmcdave0331 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohitscourtney View Post
Well I didn't have your type of surgery but I've had two with work done on my PTT and I'm getting ready for my thrid which will be a tendon transfer. My doctor said I would never run again myself but I wasn't much of a runner to begin with. The most running i did was on a trendmill and even that Ihave to be careful with cause I'm accident prone.

I did however figure skate(up until my foot pain became so bad) I will never skate again. My right foot is my landing foot and if Idid ever try, it wouldn't be good because the tendons on that foot are bad. My doctor said I could skate around with my little brother if I wanted but now he said even that's out of the question with my tendon transfer coming up. It sucks cause he ask me all the time but I understand

My question to you is..why if your doctor says you will never be able to run long distances are you going to try? You went though all this work to get a better and healthy foot but running could mess it all up. I think your son would understand if you can't run miles or play long games of basketball. He would want you not to hurt yourself. There other things you could do like go swimming, take him lazer tagging. You could still be active though. I'm still allowed to go to the gym and workout..just got to be more careful with what I do. That's just my two cents.

Congrats on a good surgery though and I'm sure your pain will get better everyday. Just keep your head up and think about the end goal.
Courtney,

To be completely honest with you this question deserves a long complicated answer. First off, I feel like it's kind of negative to just sort of take what a doctor says and just say "that's the way it is now." When a doctor tells a man he has five years left to live, he looks elsewhere, he doesn't just give up and prepare to die.

When everybody else told me I would never deploy with my guys, I had one physical therapist tell me I would. And I did, I went to an area where I went on over 50 patrols in 60 days carrying a 26 pound machine gun and 600 rounds and had many days where we got into two or three firefights a day. It was God's plan for me to be there for my friends.

My dad wasn't around for me when I was growing up and when he was, he was a horrible father. His basketball/football coaching often became abusive. I owe my son the opportunity to have a fun time playing sports with his father. I owe it to me.

Before I got hurt I ran 3 miles in 18 minutes and 4 seconds. So I could run. I'm not looking to do marathons but I am looking to be able to run a couple of miles and play basketball with my boy.

And push comes to shove, why should a doctor tell me what I can and can't do? Every time a doctor tells someone they can't do something they should be interrupted by someone saying "I just did it." So I am going to be that for the people in these threads that are looking for someone, like I was, that they can point to and say that's where I want to be.

I don't have an ounce of quit in me. The doctor can tell me all she wants that I won't run and that I need to be realistic. Other people can be realistic.

In addition to all this, I have a friend who lost both of his legs on this deployment, he's already walking and soon will be running. If I can't look to him and feel completely and totally inspired then there is something wrong with me.

So I don't think I have a good reason to decide I am content with not running.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:03 PM   #21
Senior Veteran
(female)

ohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB Userohitscourtney HB User

Well I take what a doctor tells me and listen because well there the doctor and I'm paying them to help me. My guy is very well known, works with sports team and travels the world to help other places with his knowledge of the foot. So I do trust what he has to tell me, I may not like it but I know he's telling me because its what best. I go to them for answers and advice. I didn't listen to him once and was like "hmm been 7 months I should be able to be like all the other 18 year olds and ride a scooter with my friends" even though he told me to be careful of things Ihad to use my feet to stop. And guess what I retore my tendon that night.

My dad is also a doctor and said most people with tendon transfer and extenstive foot surgery are not able to run again. Its just how things are, I mean maybe some do but most don't. The doctors tell you facts and based on what they have seen. Most do know what they are talking about. And the advice they give even though you might not want to hear it should be listen too and you can decide what to do with it.

If you want to run that's fine, I just chose to listen to my doctor instead of putting my foot at risk for yet another foot surgery. If you want to run even though there a risk with it that's your choice. You can. I would rather not try to do anything to that would cause more harm than good.

All in all its great that you want to run and play with your boy. I would just be careful and you know listen to what the doctor has to say. Most of them have been doing this for awhile and aren't just telling you that you might not run cause they feel like it. Its what they have seen. I do wish you the best and I do hope that you can run again and be able to play with your son. It seems to mean a lot to you

I was just stating how I feel and personaly I wouldn't try to run but like I said. If you want to then that's your choice and I hope it works out for you. I will be rooting for you to run and be able to enjoy playing basketball with your kid. Good luck

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Last edited by ohitscourtney; 01-27-2013 at 09:27 PM.

Old 01-28-2013, 06:52 AM   #22
Inactive
(male)

Powerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB UserPowerplay HB User

Hey Dave,
glad to hear that you will be getting a knee walker. I don't think you ever mentioned which ankle you had the surgery on but if it is your left you are "golden" to start driving and your knee walker should get you around town easily. I had surgery on my right ankle and decided to drive with my left foot. Not impossible to do but you need to be careful that your casted foot is tucked back near the seat. I got out of the house by myself one week after surgery and drove to the gym using crutches to just get me from the drivers seat to the rear of car to get knee walker out. Left the crutches in the car and my walker took me all over. As for not being able to run, you may or may not but keep in mind you will be able to sprint so that should give you the time to participate sports with your son. COACHING doesn't require you to be actively jumping!

Old 01-28-2013, 10:35 AM   #23
Inactive
(female)

wilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB Userwilkinak HB User

I'll add my 2 cents, but not so much about the ankle stuff, more from your kids' POV.

My dad has the back from hell. It crapped out, for lack of a better term, when he was in his thirties, which was about 50 years ago. At the time, he was pretty darn active - he was a pro horse trainer. I don't know all the details b/c I wasn't even on the considered list then. Anyway, he ended up with a desk job and a family. Also a couple more back surgeries through the years.

Growing up, my sister & I knew Dad had a bad back and his neck wasn't good. He was still very active, but there were somethings that he avoided. Roller coasters for one. I don't remember much beyond that he avoided. There were days he hurt. Hotel beds were the bane of his existence. But he just dealt with it; we all did, it was just life. He was also older (45) when he had kids. That's not a big deal now, but in the mid 70's it was pretty old. As far as we were concerned, it was normal to have a dad in his 50s or 60s when were in school. We thought nothing of it - we knew nothing else. Every once in a while, we'd be out and someone would make a comment about Grandpa buying something for us and we just looked at them like they were nuts.

Honestly, your kids aren't going to love you less if you can't run. They probably won't even notice. In all likelihood, IME, as you get older, your kids will notice the stupid things you do, like pretending that your ankle isn't one giant lump of bone and be trying to figure out how to make you smarter without making you feel bad. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've grumbled under my breath, when Dad insisted on picking up something instead of letting me do it. Stupid guy pride.

The Following User Says Thank You to wilkinak For This Useful Post:
ohitscourtney (01-28-2013)
Old 01-28-2013, 10:47 AM   #24
Senior Veteran
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilkinak View Post
I'll add my 2 cents, but not so much about the ankle stuff, more from your kids' POV.

My dad has the back from hell. It crapped out, for lack of a better term, when he was in his thirties, which was about 50 years ago. At the time, he was pretty darn active - he was a pro horse trainer. I don't know all the details b/c I wasn't even on the considered list then. Anyway, he ended up with a desk job and a family. Also a couple more back surgeries through the years.

Growing up, my sister & I knew Dad had a bad back and his neck wasn't good. He was still very active, but there were somethings that he avoided. Roller coasters for one. I don't remember much beyond that he avoided. There were days he hurt. Hotel beds were the bane of his existence. But he just dealt with it; we all did, it was just life. He was also older (45) when he had kids. That's not a big deal now, but in the mid 70's it was pretty old. As far as we were concerned, it was normal to have a dad in his 50s or 60s when were in school. We thought nothing of it - we knew nothing else. Every once in a while, we'd be out and someone would make a comment about Grandpa buying something for us and we just looked at them like they were nuts.

Honestly, your kids aren't going to love you less if you can't run. They probably won't even notice. In all likelihood, IME, as you get older, your kids will notice the stupid things you do, like pretending that your ankle isn't one giant lump of bone and be trying to figure out how to make you smarter without making you feel bad. I couldn't begin to tell you how many times I've grumbled under my breath, when Dad insisted on picking up something instead of letting me do it. Stupid guy pride.
wilkinak my dad has a bad back too. Its now getting to the point where he cant do what he use too. Hotel beds like for you dad are the bane of his existence. He shouldnt ride rollar coster but, still tries even though I dont understand why....

He cant play sports and he use to love to play hockey or go skating with me and my brothers but, he cant do that now. He coaches though.

Like wilkinak your kid isnt going to love you less because you cant do something. Once there older they going to wonder like my brother and I do why you bother putting yourself though pain just to do something. I understand that my dad cant fly long flights on airplanes, or sit for awhile without getting a cramp. Or why going to an amusement park makes him more sore. I would rather him not to do something that will hurt him but, like wilkinak says stupid guy pride and he will never admit it causes him pain. Though we all know it does.

2/28/13 FDL transfer

Closed Thread

Tags
amputation, recovery .., running, triple arthodesis, triple arthrodesis surgery